Here's how Thailand would respond to a 'worst case' coronavirus scenario

rooster59

4 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

Well, there is no need to read such "article" ("scenario", "If", "plan", "fake news", "we would" etc.)

What matter are facts.

And here is the latest fact : "South Korea reports 142 new cases of coronavirus, raising country's total to 346"

And it's just 10 AM local time.

Oh and here is another fact : Shanghai has officially.... 334 cases.

You know the chinese megalopolis, 800 km from Wuhan ? I was not really sure you would know.

????

Do you have a link to the news source re: South Korea?

2 minutes ago, christophe75 said:

Yes. One desk is doing a great job (press agency in the Netherlands, if i'm not mistaken).

https://twitter.com/BNODesk

Furthermore, they maintain the "tally"... Really perfect to follow quickly the situation (and to see, i repeat, the obvious BS coming from China, by train wagons ! Shanghai.... 334 cases... ahahhahahah)

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/02/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

As for South Korea, they take the news from the south korean agency, Yonhap.

So this is solid. 

Thanks.  

It would be really good if governments and their organizations would be more honest about the state of affairs. I keep seeing that 50 Million people are in quarantine in China; but I did see one reporter the other day; who said the real number under quarantine in China is 750 Million. Every Major City, including Shanghai and Beijing have quarantines in place.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, exparte said:

It would be really good if governments and their organizations would be more honest about the state of affairs. I keep seeing that 50 Million people are in quarantine in China; but I did see one reporter the other day; who said the real number under quarantine in China is 750 Million. Every Major City, including Shanghai and Beijing have quarantines in place.

While I don't doubt that every major city in China has some sort of quarantine in place, I suspect that most places (outside of Hubei province and Wuhan city) are quarantining people who have the virus.

It's difficult to believe that China has quarantined 75% of their entire population.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, exparte said:

If the  definition of  "quarantine" is as  much as possible a total travel ban then 750 million could be true.

Whereas the 50 million may be those who are barred from public movement/contact?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

“ In response, Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul said the government had not hidden the truth regarding coronavirus and the low number of infections was due to the effective measures the government had put in place. 

I’m wondering what exactly  are the effective measures that were put in place .

You're not the only one. Now TAT are encouraging Thais to travel domestically during the school break.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

It appears the infections are prevalent only in hotspots, with the one in Korea being connected with a religious cult where the members have infected each other. Wuhan is of course a hotspot, but stringent containment measures have been put in

place. 

Most of the deaths seem to be of very old people and include those with significant pre existing conditions which have weakened them. In other years they may have succumbed to other flu infections.

With the Chinese travel ban, Thailand seems to have been protected from most infection sources so far. I can’t even get Lazada goods from China at the moment.

The daily death toll in Thailand is dwarfed by those killed in road collisions, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I think people are more worried about the effect on tourism rather than the next plague.

These are wise words from Prayuth he has no doubt some good teams in place at an operational level and WHO will be providing expert advice. One has to hope for the best and prepare for the worse. I fear sadly the latter as this is a nasty, contagious virus that has wreaked havoc in China and now starting with Korea. The cruise ship has sadly shown how infectious this damn thing is which is highly. It is worth remembering that this thing was only born at the end of November and spreads similar a cold to which it is related but with considerable more deadly effects for some. Road deaths are a grim constant here but a virus can increase exponentially over time and it is early days outside of China at present. 

I did a microbiology degree  at university many years ago and did a course of epidemiology which seemed rather abstract and distant then studying how the world go through periodic pandemics. It feels very much less abstract now. I have no particular wisdom on this but I am trying to come to terms with the situation, follow the boring advice about hygiene etc, and not spending too much time every day thinking and reading about the topic if it causes too much mental anguish.

Maybe consider the possibility that if you have any travel and event plans for the coming months, they might be disrupted. Don't get carried away hoarding certain items, no panic buying or shelf stripping, but maybe consider slightly increasing the amount of spare supplies of certain things you keep at home.

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 2