Here's how Thailand would respond to a 'worst case' coronavirus scenario

rooster59

59 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

While I don't doubt that every major city in China has some sort of quarantine in place, I suspect that most places (outside of Hubei province and Wuhan city) are quarantining people who have the virus.

It's difficult to believe that China has quarantined 75% of their entire population.

That last sentence says it all It is that bad. I should add if this does become a pandemic and Thailand is affected badly then as the Global Health Index points out this is almost as good a place as any to cope with it and get timely medical support. There may also be some mileage  in that Thailand won't get it as badly as other countries given it's hot here and there is a flu season which affects cold countries more so. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flu_season

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, christophe75 said:

Well, there is no need to read such "article" ("scenario", "If", "plan", "fake news", "we would" etc.)

What matter are facts.

And here is the latest fact : "South Korea reports 142 new cases of coronavirus, raising country's total to 346"

And it's just 10 AM local time.

Oh and here is another fact : Shanghai has officially.... 334 cases.

You know the chinese megalopolis, 800 km from Wuhan ? I was not really sure you would know.

????

https://www.euronews.com/2020/02/21/covid-19-latest-korea-confirms-204-cases-of-coronavirus-after-church-outbreak

You have a source for that 346 cases. If not then this is bs news

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Misty said:

Where in Bangkok can someone pay to get tested for coronavirus?  How much does a test cost?

If you are asymptomatic it would be a waste of time. If you are suffering severe problems then ring some number (anyone?) and they should triage you at home to potentially prevent further spread particularly in a hospital environment. You most likely have no problem why are you worried?

Current WHO FAQ.

https://www.who.int/news-room/q-a-detail/q-a-coronaviruses

Edited by URMySunshine
  • Like 1

Just now, URMySunshine said:

If you are asymptomatic it would be a waste of time. If you are suffering severe problems then ring some number (anyone?) and they should triage you at home to potentially prevent further spread particularly in a hospital environment. You most likely have no problem why are you worried?

I am not worried. I'm trying to gage the local testing/reporting situation. It seems you may not know much about it, however. 

1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

Classifying infections as "Patients Under Investigation" and then never updating their condition.

I agree.

Here's an article I found. As always, such a weasel article. 

They were looking for the right timing to publish.  Weasels...

Thailand expands virus detection

Source from Bangkok Post.  

Search it on Google. 

"The expanded approach resulted in the number of PuI rising by 99 on Thursday alone to 1,151 since early last month."

7 minutes ago, TheAppletons said:

If you are not showing any symptoms - and you haven't traveled to China recently - I think it unlikely that any health care professional will test you.

The testing is invasive and the test kits are in short supply.  If you develop symptoms, then by all means seek professional help.  But asking for a "just want to make sure" test is not likely to be successful.

This is opinion but if you think about it...

Yes, I've heard the test kits are in short supply and are expensive at the few private hospitals that may provide them.  Which could be a problem in terms of getting accurate information on the scope of the problem in Thailand.

The only problem I have is it takes 45 minutes to get to the nearest Makro and in a panic the place could be stripped clean by then!  As I  was just telling my daughter up to 20% of fruit and veggies in Makro are from China......and 12 - 15% of tinned and packaged product to.  So we stock up on things each trip. Some of those products will disappear from the shelves in the coming months.  Better to be prepared and not miss out. And everything we buy has a long time to use by date. 

18 minutes ago, morrobay said:

And here are some panic opinions, The only problem is that some are from a Harvard PhD  in epidemiology

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-expert-opinions/#lipsitch-021720

Yes the experts are really that concerned most will have never confronted such an entity in their professional careers. What we have now though is much better sharing of information and tools to combat it than we had in the past and these folk are working flat out to come up with solutions. The Thai 'mai bpen rai' attitude in this instance might just be a bonus culturally in not panicking and making the situation worse than it needs be.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

The only problem I have is it takes 45 minutes to get to the nearest Makro and in a panic the place could be stripped clean by then!  As I  was just telling my daughter up to 20% of fruit and veggies in Makro are from China......and 12 - 15% of tinned and packaged product to.  So we stock up on things each trip. Some of those products will disappear from the shelves in the coming months.  Better to be prepared and not miss out. And everything we buy has a long time to use by date. 

Why you not go buy fruits and veggies on your local Thai market ?

• Like 2

America gets ready.

U.S. health officials are preparing for the COVID-19 coronavirus, which has killed at least 2,249 people and sickened more than 76,700 worldwide, to become a pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday.

Messonnier pointed to China, where schools and businesses have been shuttered for weeks to contain the outbreak there, saying the U.S. may eventually need to do the same.

“The day may come where we may need to implement such measures in this country,” she said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/21/us-health-officials-prepare-for-coronavirus-outbreak-to-become-pandemic.html

Edited by URMySunshine

5 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Why you not go buy fruits and veggies on your local Thai market ?

I think certainly here in  Jomtien where we often buy from the wholesale market in Thepprasit Road the quality of stuff there generally isn't the best though it is cheap. The stuff from TOPS though it is more 'pretty' (which I am not bothered about) it is more tasty (which I am). I suspect the major supermarkets take the best stuff leaving the poorer quality stuff for the local markets. 

• Like 1

experts say: 2 percent death rate, same as for normal flu

now you will see a big push to make it worse than it is, same as with SARS / EBOLA

everybody vaccinated, maybe FORCEFULLY as in some parts of USA if you want a job ...

side effects :  who knows and cares (at the top), those companies cannot be sued anyway

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Hayduke said:

They'll wait and do nothing....until they have orders from Beijing.

Nearly right. They'll wait and do nothing because that's what they always do. It's the only thing they know how to do.

Good luck to them. I have a feeling they're going to need it. Down the wat they'll go.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Rubbish, the influenza deathrate is around 0.1% depending on the strain.

So this, just using the low estimate of 2% even tho most predict it to be higher, is at least 20x more deadly, and also more infectious than influenza. 

This is more than 2% more like 3 and higher for over 60's. The one in 1918 which killed about 50 million had a similar death rate of 2.5%, could kill millions as well. At least the Chinese are taking harsh measures to contain it, the Thais seem to be welcoming it in!