Here's how Thailand would respond to a 'worst case' coronavirus scenario

rooster59

Would restricting travelers from China coming into the kingdom be one of their “measures”?.... too late.

The government is a motionless rabbit in the road staring at the approaching headlights of Corvid-19.

keep your emergency bags packed folks, by the time this government start releasing fatality stats, your countries might not be allowing flights from Thailand.

Edited by lemonjelly
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Immigration will be working overtime to process the vast numbers of tourist which they are expecting at any moment.

Great. I'll be standing there, waiting for six hours, surrounded by 500 people who just flew in from China.

• Like 1

I honestly thought the plan would be to instruct TAT to offer visa-free entry to coronavirus sufferers from around the world.

Thailand, your number one holiday destination if you've got a deadly contagious disease! They'll soon be back to 40 million arrivals.

11 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

No masks for sale today @ Central Plaza.

SOLD OUT.

That cannot be good. ????

There is plenty of affordable mask on lazada if you use the local tab. For example: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0Sn0v or https://s.lazada.co.th/s.0ShWr

Edited by Tayaout

I think Thailand has been lucky son far. I think it's very little to do with being efficient at dealing with this situation. 

It could have easily gone the other way. 

Seriously lucky actually. 

If China had not closed its own borders and Thailand had not closed its borders (and offered free visas as they did) to China, we would be in the same situation as them now. 

Pure luck.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pogal said:

If China had not closed its own borders and Thailand had not closed its borders (and offered free visas as they did) to China, we would be in the same situation as them now. 

Pure luck.

Yes, Thailand has taken a monstrous gamble. And if it is true that the number of Chinese visitors is down around 90%, why not close the borders. The main damage to tourism has already been done.

5 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

been driving around in Hua Hin today and did not see one single face mask on anybody, tourist or local.

everybody has forgot about it or is ignorant of the dangers.

Maibpenrai. Thais will feel the effects of that cultural flaw later, when it's far too late to do anything. 

7 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In the event of a worst case scenario in Thailand, schools would be closed, office workers would be told to work from home and large public gatherings would be banned.

That's presuming they have the technology at home and are networked?

• Sad 1

Singapore does not wait for a thousand people to be infected, especially as the uncontrolled infection rate doubles every 5 days. They close the cluster aggressively and have taken strict measures immediately. Seems like 1000 was a nice arbitrary number to chuck at a few journo's. The Gov't does seem to understand the cost of ignoring this threat which is hundreds of millions of dollars. The loss of Chinese zero dollar tourists is nothing in comparison to the potential cost of a major outbreak.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Maibpenrai. Thais will feel the effects of that cultural flaw later, when it's far too late to do anything. 

everybody has forgot about it? really?

9 days already? seemed shorter than that.

30 minutes ago, hotchilli said:
8 hours ago, rooster59 said:

In the event of a worst case scenario in Thailand, schools would be closed, office workers would be told to work from home and large public gatherings would be banned.

That's presuming they have the technology at home and are networked?

In the very early days of networking, there was something called 'sneakernet'. They might perhaps still be using it here.

To send files via sneakernet required a disk and a pair of sneakers, in order to send the file from one machine to another.

• Like 1

There are many many Chinese in Laos.

Thais can freely come and go as they please.

I don't suppose the powers that be have considered Laos as a source of further infection.

I hope this isn't a case of "I'm alright Jack" It's not infected me yet but if it does I will do something.

I know a 56 year old Inn a Northern village and along with many of her friends they are wearing disposal masks, taking vitamin C and praying. They all believe they are taking the correct precautions. How many millions are doing the same?

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

The Mrs went shopping the other day and managed to find some alcohol hand wipes, this morning I asked her to pop out and get me a couple of cases of my favourite beer so that my insides stay as clean as my outsides, she surprisingly agreed and said that I was a clever man hic !!! :crazy:

Corona???

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

True. Can't be too careful he might lose face if an Aussie official shoved a face mask at him and started swearing.

Lose  lot more face if they didn't let him in at all. Aussies are funny like that. Just one jail term and a deportation and they get all sniffy at you.

Most peculiar Mama. Very odd. You'd think they knew all about convicts... Can I take my tongue out of my cheek now please?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NoComment said:

There are many many Chinese in Laos.

Thais can freely come and go as they please.

I don't suppose the powers that be have considered Laos as a source of further infection.

I hope this isn't a case of "I'm alright Jack" It's not infected me yet but if it does I will do something.

I know a 56 year old Inn a Northern village and along with many of her friends they are wearing disposal masks, taking vitamin C and praying. They all believe they are taking the correct precautions. How many millions are doing the same?

ok. So...

Put on last week's surgical mask that doesn't do anything very much and is single-use only anyway..

Eat Ascorbic acid until your roots turn blue, which doesn't do anything at all except turning your roots blue.

And lastly, get thee down da wat and pray your socks off with all the other fearful muppets lest you come back as a cockroach or a Prayut or a Prawit or something after you die from Covid-19.

That'll work... Geppetto told me and he knows everything...

Edited by ParkerN

2 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

No masks for sale today @ Central Plaza.

SOLD OUT.

That cannot be good. ????

Plenty in Tesco Lotus Jomtien yesterday. TBH masks aren't the issue more to remind you not to touch your face and maintain good hygiene and to help reassure others if you have a cough and cold that you are helping not to spread germs. I have plenty but don't use them yet but have a small spray bottle with 70% rubbing alcohol that I use whenever my hands have touched something  that others may have.