Here's how Thailand would respond to a 'worst case' coronavirus scenario

rooster59

1 hour ago, Golden Triangle said:

The Mrs went shopping the other day and managed to find some alcohol hand wipes, this morning I asked her to pop out and get me a couple of cases of my favourite beer so that my insides stay as clean as my outsides, she surprisingly agreed and said that I was a clever man hic !!! :crazy:

Drinking at home whilst glued to the internet is as good a strategy as any ! Just make sure you have a good antivirus program ....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I think certainly here in  Jomtien where we often buy from the wholesale market in Thepprasit Road the quality of stuff there generally isn't the best though it is cheap. The stuff from TOPS though it is more 'pretty' (which I am not bothered about) it is more tasty (which I am). I suspect the major supermarkets take the best stuff leaving the poorer quality stuff for the local markets. 

Supermarkets always take the goods that are most beautiful and this is known but it is the quality of the goods you need to check, for example I have checked the quantity of phosphates in bananas and supermarkets, all are beyond the sanitary limit.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Supermarkets always take the goods that are most beautiful and this is known but it is the quality of the goods you need to check, for example I have checked the quantity of phosphates in bananas and supermarkets, all are beyond the sanitary limit.

bro you really need to get out more ????

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Some of these comments are so pathetic. It's as though some people actually want to see the situation deteriorate. They seem to overlook the fact that many posters are in the highest risk age demographic.

you mean over 60 with a shot immune system from the excessive daily consumption of chang, cigarettes and cheap pad thai?

yeah, i reckon that 2% mortality rate is gonna be highly optimistic for this demographic

First European town in lockdown.

https://www.france24.com/en/20200222-italy-towns-under-lockdown-as-first-european-coronavirus-death-reported

Bno newsroom @bnonews
For those 10 towns (50,000 people):
- Residents are asked to stay at home for 1 week
- All public events are suspended
- No work and commercial activities
- No recreational activities
- All schools are closed
- Public transport won't stop in those areas

Edited by URMySunshine

7 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

It appears the infections are prevalent only in hotspots, with the one in Korea being connected with a religious cult where the members have infected each other. Wuhan is of course a hotspot, but stringent containment measures have been put in

place. 

Most of the deaths seem to be of very old people and include those with significant pre existing conditions which have weakened them. In other years they may have succumbed to other flu infections.

With the Chinese travel ban, Thailand seems to have been protected from most infection sources so far. I can’t even get Lazada goods from China at the moment.

The daily death toll in Thailand is dwarfed by those killed in road collisions, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I think people are more worried about the effect on tourism rather than the next plague.

The daily death toll in Thailand is dwarfed by those killed in road collisions, so I am not sure what all the fuss is about. I think people are more worried about the effect on tourism rather than the next plague.

i've thought about this too, suppose as many people were dying daily from the virus as are killed on the roads.... would the government just ignore it as they do with road deaths? the same could be said if an equivalent number were dying due to plane crashes...

road deaths are something that clearly does not concern the government, or seemingly, most thais.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, samsensam said:

i've thought about this too, suppose as many people were dying daily from the virus as are killed on the roads.... would the government just ignore it as they do with road deaths? the same could be said if an equivalent number were dying due to plane crashes...

road deaths are something that clearly does not concern the government, or seemingly, most thais.

Interesting thought and if it turned out to say kill 20 x normal flu rates (same as Spanish flu in 1918) then the mortality rates in Thailand could be high but much less than other colder countries (see below) - suppressing a blow by blow account of the figures would then seem almost benighted. As Jane suggests above Uncle Tuu could do a crackdown - get rid of some of the more troublesome folk under the guise of public health and emerge victorious when the virus finally runs its course and a cure/vaccine comes to fruition. Wild speculation though and requires him to be devilishly clever.  

The results from the study suggest that influenza actually survives longer at low humidity and low temperatures. At 43°F with very low humidity, most of the virus was able to survive more than 23 hours, whereas at high humidity and a temperature of 90°F, survival was diminished at even one hour into incubation (3).Dec 1, 2014

http://sitn.hms.harvard.edu/flash/2014/the-reason-for-the-season-why-flu-strikes-in-winter/

Edited by URMySunshine

29 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

IThe results from the study suggest that influenza actually survives longer at low humidity and low temperatures. At 43°F with very low humidity, most of the virus was able to survive more than 23 hours, whereas at high humidity and a temperature of 90°F, survival was diminished at even one hour into incubation (3).Dec 1, 2014

This one is more viral than influenza and transmitted by droplets (ie. sneezing), also as aerosol. I don't think the primary way to get it is through contaminated surfaces. Hence it doesn't matter much if it dies in 1s or 1 month on surfaces. All you need is to breathe in air where the aerosolized viral load is present, or have direct contact with an infected person that has fresh droplets on the skin. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, URMySunshine said:

TBH masks aren't the issue more to remind you not to touch your face and maintain good hygiene

Today I'm making Rendang which is an Indonesian dry curry requiring lots of chillies to be seeded which reminds me not to touch my face or scratch my balls!I can assure everyone that if you have trouble refraining from touching one's face,or balls,to start seeding lots of chillies. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Vigilante said:

All flu viruses hate hot weather.

Flu epidemics don't happen in the middle of a hot summer.

Northern latitudes have a few more months to go but we are already there.

This was apparently why the SARs epidemic petered out quickly in spring 2003. Corona viruses generally do seem to have this susceptibility to hot weather; widespread aircon in Singapore & HK has been cited as the factor permitting significant outbreaks there.

The question is: are the low counts in most SE Asian countries - which 'should' have many more cases due to passenger flows with China - low mainly because of virus-unfriendly weather, or under-reported due to inadequate diagnosis and case tracking?

If the latter, some northern climes are likely about to get a shock...

Thailand is currently in Phase 2 and in order for the Thai government to initiate Phase 3, 1,000 people per day would need to be infected with the coronavirus, Daily News reported

Given the infectiousness of this virus, this seems to be a "plan" to respond way too late.

• Like 1

And the MSM doesn't have advertisements?   It might be a good idea to have a supply of food that lasts for a while,  especially if things get lean during the shutdowns of production.  

Unapproved youtube channel?  It is up to the viewer to make up his or her mind.    If you think it is hogwash, then don't listen to it,  it sounds as though the CDC is not giving out answers to the questions,  and the medical facilities aren't doing what you would expect them as far as restricting movwements of infected patients.  

This could have terrible and tragic consequences and that this information could save lives and shorten much suffering for people.  

Edited by samuttodd

For those who like to go at the source :

Data from South Korea.

https://www.cdc.go.kr/board/board.es?mid=a30402000000&bid=0030

Like Singapore... Very well done. Informative.

https://www.moh.gov.sg/covid-19

The comparison with... Thailand's reporting is of course... hum... well... you know. ????

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Edited by christophe75
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Now is a great time to travel if you don’t like crowds. 

Realistically you are more at risk getting to the airport than you are of catching Coronavirus. Airports are a breeze and all the attractions are not filled wall to wall with tourists. Plenty of hotel options. This is an opportunity that should not be missed. I found it rather relaxing when I got out and about over the last two weeks. 

• Like 1

It is becoming more clear that the world we lived in last year is gone.  Society will not continue to function as you see now. Our bodies have no immunity to this virus at all. Survival for many will depend on hospital care with fluids administered via IV and constant monitoring AND THE medical facilities will be strapped for capacity and supplies and staff that isn't also ill.

This virus apparently can reinfect as soon as you get over it the first time.   You don't get a pass until the next go round like with the flu.

What we will see is that people that may have fought it off will be weak and recovering and then get the next iteration of it and it will be even harder for them to fight it off.     I am also seeing that the systemic damage to the victims is bad.   It can permanently damage the heart,  lungs,  (all of the organs)    and apparently particularly the tissue with Ace II expressing sites. 

That cycle could  go on again and again until the poor <deleted> is dead.

Edited by samuttodd
  • Haha 1

A bit of an update on incubation times.

A 70-year-old man in China's Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus' incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/27-day-incubation-period-coronavirus-china-covid-19/11991604

Maybe a ray of hope?Any animals here want to volunteer for testing?

Researchers at the University of Queensland (UQ) have said they are just days away from testing a new vaccine for coronavirus, or COVID-19, on animals.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-22/coronavirus-vaccine-animal-testing-days-away-uq-researchers/11991456

15 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I wonder how many Chinese die from common flu every month.

There is something sinister about this pandemic, how it started and how fatal it is.

You may be right but until the end of the year we will not know how this ultimately pans out. But I think it is going ro get worse before it gets better. 

https://www.caixinglobal.com/2019-02-21/why-arent-people-in-china-dying-of-the-flu-101382286.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

There is something sinister about this pandemic, how it started and how fatal it is.

What is sinister is... the reaction of chinese authorities.

When i heard, january 23.... less than 1 month ago... that Wuhan was placed in "lock down" (remember :  a city of 11 millions people.... hub of the car industry)... I knew instantly that something was different.

But people have a memory life span of a red fish... Never the CPC has done this before. Even with SARS, or any kind of "bird flu" epidemics in the past.

And if you know history of communist China... it was obvious that it couldnt be a "PR stunt" or other crazy ideas.

Ockam razor.

The CPC reacted the way they did.... because they were confronted by an existential threat. Nothing less, nothing more.

And then, outside China, we faced the "lunatics" sect, the people who believed that a vicious virus would respect borders...

Like the stupid french in april 1986.... the radioactive cloud from Chernobyl will stop just at the french borders... And I can talk about it. I was 16 years old at that time, and I knew that our government was a bunch of freaking and fanatical liars.

Anyway. All those points lead to only one conclusion : it is indeed sinister.

And the only the beginning.

Again : compare the situation now... with january 23.

LESS THAN 1 MONTH AGO.

It's striking.

By the way.. Italy has now 41 confirmed cases.

And Thailand ?

Still 35.

It's grotesque. Obscene.

Edited by christophe75
  • Haha 1