Road travel

Will be returning Thailand on the 25th SETV however I’m thinking of a road trip with my partner and children,. Was planing on visiting Vientiane Laos. Or even Vietnam ... question being if visiting within 60 days would I lose my visa,. 
if that’s the case I’ll visit after 60 days when renewing another 30 days. Have a permanent address in ubon when stay in the kingdom.

OP, depends on total time you wish to stay in Thailand. Your setv can be extended at imm by 30 days. That's a total of 90. To exit and re-enter during that time you need reentry permit.

Or, you can leave road trip towards end of the 60 days and upon reentry be stamped in 30 day visa exempt. BTW that VE entry can be extended by 30 day at imm.

• Like 2

For  a SETV, once you have used it to enter Thailand, it is exactly that, USED. You will be given a permit to stay on entry for 60 days. If you wish to leave and return, a Re-Entry Permit can be obtained from an Immigration Office, or at the Airport on the way out (1000 baht single entry). This will allow you to renter and stay, up to the same date of the original Permit to Stay. You do not get another 60 days!

You can however, also visit immigration and get a 30 day extension at a cost of 1900 baht. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

On 2/22/2020 at 7:24 AM, Steve Vincent said:

road trip with my partner and children,. Was planing on visiting Vientiane Laos. Or even Vietnam

unless you're in your own vehicle you won't be permitted into Laos and even in your own car Vietnam poses some pretty insurmountable barriers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Steve Vincent said:

Thanks for the heads up ( airbag ) will travel in the family car partner Thai so hopefully will face little disruption along the way. 

Is that serious. A Thai partner can mean drive to pretty much anywhere outside Thailand. Let me know when you park in Saigon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

Thanks for the heads up ( airbag ) will travel in the family car partner Thai so hopefully will face little disruption along the way. 

You or your partner should do some research.

A passport for the car issued by the department of land transport is required for entry to Laos. The original green book for it is also needed which means it cannot be financed.

I have read that it is not possible to take a car into Vietnam as well so you need to check on that.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You or your partner should do some research.

A passport for the car issued by the department of land transport is required for entry to Laos. The original green book for it is also needed which means it cannot be financed.

I have read that it is not possible to take a car into Vietnam as well so you need to check on that.

BLUE book required - no finance, or permission from owner/lender and the Purple passport book. Then you will get into Laos... it is quite easy with the correct documentation.

Vietnam does not allow RHD cars into the country except in pre-arranged convoys.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve Vincent said:

Wow will keep you informed thanks with updates ???? presume she has a blue book as it’s owned and not financed,. Rules hey supposed be relaxing ???? well not quite as at Heathrow on route  thanks guys 

BTW, the purple book...car passport is available easily from dept land transport. Cost is about 250 baht. If you have the right docs it takes about an hour.

OBviously you need the vehiclue blue book etc and probably a proof of residence....your partner can deal with that or even a work permit.

Don't know of anyone getting into Vietnam. Cambodia is a grey area.

On arrival into Laos, you need to buy insurance. It's very cheap a few hundred baht for up to one month....There will be a shop/office at the border.

Which border do you plan to cross at?

• Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 2:44 AM, Airbagwill said:

BTW, the purple book...car passport is available easily from dept land transport. Cost is about 250 baht. If you have the right docs it takes about an hour.

OBviously you need the vehiclue blue book etc and probably a proof of residence....your partner can deal with that or even a work permit.

Don't know of anyone getting into Vietnam. Cambodia is a grey area.

On arrival into Laos, you need to buy insurance. It's very cheap a few hundred baht for up to one month....There will be a shop/office at the border.

Which border do you plan to cross at?

Unsure of border crossing at this time,.arrived safely in ubon and currently in Khon Kaen “will play it by ear a.t.m as plans keep changing as sons school been closed due corona virus 

On 2/24/2020 at 10:03 AM, Airbagwill said:

Pretty easy for a Thai to get all the documents required for car to get into Laos.

It was a case of photo copying the whole book and getting the car passport 50bht (not 250bht)

But I suppose all may have different prices.

I have a guide somewhere if you want it on me I will try to dig it out.

• Like 1