How go about Visa for America

My good friend (Thai) wants to get a tourist visa to America. I would like to help her as much as possible. What can I do? How do i do it? What does she have to do?

She has a good job and her parents own a house. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has good knowledge. I'm certain it is not easy. I would be her sponsor.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:56 PM, BobbyL said:

Loads of threads on here about this already. Scroll back a page or two and there was a recent discussion. 

I searched up to page 20 but I haven't found any discussions about US tourist visa for a thai GF. But only for marriage or relocate and they're not my case.  I'm italian citizen and I simply wish to spend 2 weeks in US with my thai girlfriend. She had already get 3 Shengen visa then we visited Europe 3 times, but now we aim to flight to US like as tourist. Is it possible to do that without necessarily having to be married? Which are the requirements by the US embassy? 

Thanks

I am in America and she is in Thailand and she wants me to do most of the work, as it overwhelms her. I am willing, but don't know what I need to do and when. I would appreciate someone with recent practical experience to lay it out for me.

I know getting any visa for America is difficult so I am asking for help by someone who has done it. What to do, what not to do.

Thanks.

Just fill out the DS160 form... but don't say your helping if your a US citizen.  The form is a bit confusing in some areas like all government forms.  She will need a digital passport style photo... she can take by herself and the website tells you if its approved.  Then she prints out a receipt and has to pay the 165$ fee at a bank or someplace... don't pay for her as they ask you to sign the payment and she needs to take this form to the interview which she can schedule after she pays.   Prior travel should help... parents house wont make her less risk to stay in USA. I've heard 200,000 baht in savings is important along with good work history. Having a travel plan to take to interview is a good idea but most times they don't ask to look at anything.. I suspect its best to not dress to modern.. Maybe more drab and less makeup is better.. As I suspect a real looker gets turned down more. 

First of all, there is no such thing as a sponsored visa anymore, in the US. The closest thing to it is a work visa, which requires a specific skill set, and a letter from the company. A tourist visa to the US is relatively difficult to get for anyone other than someone with real money. The US does not want tourists from the third world who do not have big money in the bank. 

We tried. This was years ago, and I was told by someone in the state department in Washington that the threshold is 20,000,000 baht in a savings account here in Thailand. There may be some flexibility on that, but the hurdles are high, unless you are on an organized tour. Also tried a student visa. Was told that was a lottery process, and that one of 200 was approved. We were denied for both. Once we were married, the visa was easy. She got a 10 year, multiple entry visa, good for up to 90 days per trip. 

9 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

First of all, there is no such thing as a sponsored visa anymore, in the US. The closest thing to it is a work visa, which requires a specific skill set, and a letter from the company. A tourist visa to the US is relatively difficult to get for anyone other than someone with real money. The US does not want tourists from the third world who do not have big money in the bank. 

We tried. This was years ago, and I was told by someone in the state department in Washington that the threshold is 20,000,000 baht in a savings account here in Thailand. There may be some flexibility on that, but the hurdles are high, unless you are on an organized tour. Also tried a student visa. Was told that was a lottery process, and that one of 200 was approved. We were denied for both. Once we were married, the visa was easy. She got a 10 year, multiple entry visa, good for up to 90 days per trip. 

Thanks! The sponsored visas I was part of were in the 1990s.

On 2/24/2020 at 5:13 AM, elgenon said:

I am in America and she is in Thailand and she wants me to do most of the work, as it overwhelms her. I am willing, but don't know what I need to do and when. I would appreciate someone with recent practical experience to lay it out for me.

I know getting any visa for America is difficult so I am asking for help by someone who has done it. What to do, what not to do.

Thanks.

There are 2 big hurdles she has to overcome. Convincingly show that she intends to return to Thailand. Also that she doesn't intend to marry you after she gets to the US. This 2nd hurdle is what gets many people who are in a long term relationship because Immigration hates that people try to circumvent the required process to get a fiancee visa. Owning property, cars, having kids are not strong reasons to return because property, cars and kids can be cared for by relatives if the person decides to overstay and illegally work in the US. Stating that you're coming for anything more than a 2 week visit is also not a good idea.

My girlfriend has had a high paying job in Bangkok with a very large Thai multinational company for over 10 years. In the application she provided details about her job, salary and stated that she wanted to visit for 2 weeks and listed the places we were planning on going to. She had traveled for business within Asia. She had no trouble getting her 10 year visa 4 years ago and has since done 3 trips to the US.  Just 2 months ago her friend who also works at her company and makes good money also had no trouble with getting a 10 year visa. In both cases money in the bank wasn't even mentioned.

She can fill out the form in Thai online. 

Note that if she claims she's coming for 2 weeks but stays 3 months, visas can be revoked when she tries to re-enter for a subsequent trip.

There's also really bad advice that gets perpetually repeated about not stating you're visiting a US resident. Your girlfriend will be asked if she's traveling with anyone and/or who she is planning to visit. Put yourself in the interviewer's shoes. If a Thai woman claims she doesn't know anyone and is traveling alone to the US, you going to believe that?

20 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Note that if she claims she's coming for 2 weeks but stays 3 months, visas can be revoked when she tries to re-enter for a subsequent trip.

There's also really bad advice that gets perpetually repeated about not stating you're visiting a US resident. Your girlfriend will be asked if she's traveling with anyone and/or who she is planning to visit. Put yourself in the interviewer's shoes. If a Thai woman claims she doesn't know anyone and is traveling alone to the US, you going to believe that?

Good point. Jersey peeps are smart. What is best? She is visiting Thai friends?

On 2/29/2020 at 11:01 AM, elgenon said:

Good point. Jersey peeps are smart. What is best? She is visiting Thai friends?

Are the Thai friends legally in the US? Can she list their address and phone numbers in the application? I don't think it's a good idea to BS. These are expert interviewers who are looking for the slightest reason to say no.

She can list you but then she needs to show that she isn't planning to marry once she gets to the US. She has to convincingly explain that she intends to return to Thailand. Maybe you already have your next trip booked to Thailand? Have you 2 traveled together anywhere outside Thailand?

7 hours ago, JerseytoBKK said:

Are the Thai friends legally in the US? Can she list their address and phone numbers in the application? I don't think it's a good idea to BS. These are expert interviewers who are looking for the slightest reason to say no.

She can list you but then she needs to show that she isn't planning to marry once she gets to the US. She has to convincingly explain that she intends to return to Thailand. Maybe you already have your next trip booked to Thailand? Have you 2 traveled together anywhere outside Thailand?

I think you are right again. I am looking for some way to help the situation. No and No to your questions.

Archived