Has anybody submitted a Guarantee letter to Thai imm to get a 1 year O-A visa.

Hi.

Will be applying for a 1 year non-immigrant  O-A visa from the New York Consulate.

One of their requirements is a Bank statement showing proof I have sufficient funds to cover my 1 year stay in Thailand.

They also want “A letter of guarantee from the bank (an original copy) is required”.

(Question):

What should I ask my banker to write in the guarantee letter to satisfy the Thai Consulate in New York requirement?

Should the guarantee state Mr X has sufficient funds will not run out of money and be stranded in Thailand?

Thanks.

Since it's perfectly possible to print out (and therefore falsify) a bank statement from your home computer they want your local bank manager to verify that it corresponds to their records by using his official bank manager stamp on the printout, sign and date it. It's no different than any other requirement to verify the genuineness of the document - or at least that's been all that was required by the Canberra and Sydney Consulates when friends of mine have (successfully) applied

11 hours ago, tomx2 said:

What should I ask my banker to write in the guarantee letter to satisfy the Thai Consulate in New York requirement?

Give them a call, 212-754-2536 / 212-754-2538 / 212-754-1770

I've dealt with them in the past. Convenient, helpful, perfect english, your better off speaking to them directly before you show up. Ask them exactly what they require for your visa. Documents, moneys, etc.

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

The Bank will know what to write, but you must get the letter on the same day as you apply AND draw cash out from the ATM AND then get your bank book updated all for that day. 

Hi.

Just a quick clarification as I got a little confused.

At the end of the month, I get mailed a (hard copy) bank statement showing my Checking/Savings account for that month. It may be delivered to my apartment 2-3 days in the next month.

Let say on February 29th I have $50,000 in my Bank account.

On March 10, 2020 I go to my banker requesting a guarantor certificate confirming I have $50,000 in my Bank account. I have not withdrawn any funds from February 29th thru March 10th.

On March 15th I go to the Thai Consulate presenting my (February)Bank statement and guarantor doc from my banker.

Will this be OK? Or do I have to get the guarantor letter on March 15th.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Hi.

At the end of the month, I get mailed a (hard copy) bank statement showing my Checking/Savings account for that month. It may be delivered to my apartment 2-3 days in the next month.

Let say on February 29th I have $50,000 in my Bank account.

On March 10, 2020 I go to my banker requesting a guarantor certificate confirming I have $50,000 in my Bank account. I have not withdrawn any funds from February 29th thru March 10th.

On March 15th I go to the Thai Consulate presenting my (February)Bank statement and guarantor doc from my banker.

Will this be OK? Or do I have to get the guarantor letter on March 15th.

Thanks.

It's perfectly ok

7 hours ago, tomx2 said:

Ignore that post. It is incorrect info. He was writing about applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement at a immigration office here.

What you wrote is correct. But the bank might print out a new statement when the bank does the letter.

I would definitely NOT be going for an  Non-Immigrant O-A Visa if it were me.

Many currently on that Visa type  here are  already  changing to a Non-Immigrant O Visa.

Reread Peter Dennis's Private Message and come in without a Visa and receive a 30 day Visa Exempt stamp and start the process here  , is my advice.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, zaZa9 said:

I would definitely NOT be going for an  Non-Immigrant O-A Visa if it were me.

Many currently on that Visa type  here are  already  changing to a Non-Immigrant O Visa.

Reread Peter Dennis's Private Message and come in without a Visa and receive a 30 day Visa Exempt stamp and start the process here  , is my advice.

Hi, just to clarify.

I did not send the full Roadmap to @tomx2 but only the Addendum, explaining the caveats and hoops you have to go through when currently applying for a Non Imm OA Visa in your home-country.

Imo the Non Imm OA Visa is still the Golden Visa and very worthwhile if you can get it, PROVIDED you have international health-insurance that covers you while in Thailand AND are able to persuade your insurer to fill-in and sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate. 

And it is indeed recommended - as zaZa9 wrote - when you don't meet those 2 conditions to apply for a Non Imm O - retirement Visa that does not require thai IO-approved health-insurance (and of course it is at same time highly recommended to also subscribe to a health-insurance policy that meets your needs, instead of succumbing to the thai IO-approved insurance scam).

>> I just PM-ed the OP the full Roadmap, which explains in full detail all options to apply for or convert to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa and subsequent 1-year extension, which would be helpful when he does not succeed in getting the Non Imm OA (long-stay) Visa in his home-country. 

Got through that once , a Bank Statement is not enough !

a Bank Guarantee not older than 3 Days signed by a Supervisor !

Do a movement on that Day , before you get the Guarantee Letter ( 100 THB )

That shows time period correct in your Bank Book .... They want to see the last

3 Month on an Acount that is used . ( Copy those Pages from your Book . 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, bugattiklaus said:

Got through that once , a Bank Statement is not enough !

a Bank Guarantee not older than 3 Days signed by a Supervisor !

Do a movement on that Day , before you get the Guarantee Letter ( 100 THB )

That shows time period correct in your Bank Book .... They want to see the last

3 Month on an Acount that is used . ( Copy those Pages from your Book . 

Wrong info. That is info for an extension of stay application at immigration office.

From the OP.

On 2/22/2020 at 10:18 AM, tomx2 said:

Will be applying for a 1 year non-immigrant  O-A visa from the New York Consulate.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your feedback. Will be getting FBI check + medical certificate completed next week.

Purchased Thai Aetna insurance in December 2019 that meets the IO  1yr visa requirements. This was done after my not-so-friendly experience with immigration last year. (will explain later).

Some of you have suggested why not just get a Tourist Visa or Visa exempt and sort out the retirement in Thailand with a 1yr Non O retirement Visa. Your correct less hassle & paperwork.

But I may be playing Russian Roulette showing up at Suvarnabhumi airport this year with a Tourist Visa after last year's encounter with IO. I'm just not sure how they will react to me having a Tourist Visa and possibly being deported.

Here was my experience last year (2019):

Wanted to share my story almost being deported back to the US having a METV Visa. Since this was my experience, you should not consider this being a standard practice by Thai Immigration for someone having a METV. I am 64 and retired.

The last 4 years I have been coming to Thailand using a METV Visa doing the following:

- Stay 6 months.

- Go to Phnom Penh Cambodia (for 1 month), get a Thai SETV visa.

- Return to Thailand for 2 months.

- Then back to USA.

So total time in Thailand was roughly 8 months. Never thought of getting a retirement Visa.

BIG mistake on my part.

In (2019) I lost my passport at home(New York) and applied/received a new USA passport.

As usual, I then got my regular METV visa at the New York Thai Consulate. While preparing my itinerary, I wanted to take advantage of extending my METV visa to 8 months(first time). Phnom Penh is very strict giving SETV visa to all Tourist recently, Posted Questions on this forum whether METV visa can be extended past 6 months. The feedback was positive. “You will get a new 60 day when leaving/returning to Thailand as long as you do not return past the expire date”

So after 5 months in Thailand, went to Cambodia for 1 month returned to Suvarnabhumi airport 3 days prior to my METV visa expire date. The IO reviewed my passport and called another IO who walked me back to their office. One IO interviewed me at this time, Another one entered the office later.

The conversation went as follows:

IO: You have been coming to Thailand for long-stay on a Tourist Visa.

Me: I didn't know I was doing anything illegal.

Then IO became very loud and belligerent.

IO: How long will you stay in Thailand now!

Me: 3 months.

IO: Where?

Me: Pattaya mainly. Here is my hotel card.

IO: Raising his voice, You are not a Tourist if you only stay in Pattaya. You are a LongStayer.

Me: I am not working in Thailand.

IO: We don't want you working in Thailand.

IO: Sit Down we are going to get you out of Thailand in 5 hours!

Me: Some of my clothes, money and my Laptop are still at my Pattaya hotel. Can someone get them and bring back to airport?

IO: Please set down.

IO: In your country, you can stay only 30 days on a Tourist Visa. But you stay here Long Time on T.V.

IO: Do you know you did a same day Visa Run to Cambodia.

Me: Yes, to initiate a second entry on my METV visa. Used a visa agency van full of Tourists.

IO: That's illegal.

IO: Your METV visa is illegal. No Good!

Me: I purchase it at the Thai Embassy in New York for $200.00.

A Female IO officer intervene. Pointed to the wall where 3 bullet points were written.

I remember only 2. You must have sufficient funds to enter(Which I had available). IO has the right refuse entry regardless of a valid Visa.

At this point, I was upset, not the anticipated deportation, but rather not getting my clothes, U.S. cash money and laptop back from my Pattaya residence to the airport before they send my home.

About 10 minutes later a younger IO officer (I'll call him IO2) came in and spoke to the first IO officer.

He smiled, appeared more friendly. He grab a chair to sit next to me.

IO2: First let me say you did nothing wrong.

IO2: The problem is, you are using a Tourist Visa to stay for longtime in Thailand.

Me: But I thought METV allows you to extend up to expire date.

IO2: You need a Long Stay visa. 1 year Non-Immigration, Retirement Visa, or Elite Visa..

IO2: You also should open a Thai bank account and put money in it.

IO2: You are paying Tourist Visa taxes not LongStay visa taxes.

Me: What taxes are you referring to?

IO2: Lodging, Food, Clothes...

Me: But I still pay for these using my METV visa.

IO2: When you don't pay taxes for longstay, we “Thai” people have to pay your longstay tax bill.

Me: What if I use METV visa for 6 months next time. 6 months in, then return to USA.

The IO2 officer grinned but stated I needed long stay visa.

After talking to the first IO officer, IO2 said we will extend your METV visa for your 60 days.

Next time you return to Thailand, have a 1 year Non-immigration visa so you will not be hassled again.

I shook his hand had the required photo taken and left.

So anticipating I would not arrive to Thailand in 2020 with a TV, I applied/received  a Bank Book and Aetna Thai Insurance (before leaving) as a prerequisite for Non O-A visa requirement.

Looking back, I should have applied for a Retirement Visa, during my 4 years coming here. But staying 7 ½ months, the METV visa was the perfect fit for my time spent.

To be honest it never occurred to me I was breaking the law. I saw METV as a double entry visa that could be extended till the expire date.

Also staying in one region for a long period of time (Pattaya and sometimes Bangkok) I am really not considered a Tourist in their eyes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On February 22, 2020 at 9:04 PM, Surelynot said:

The Bank will know what to write, but you must get the letter on the same day as you apply AND draw cash out from the ATM AND then get your bank book updated all for that day. 

New York is not in Thailand.

Even in Thailand not all banks require a withdrawal to update bank book.

On February 22, 2020 at 10:18 AM, tomx2 said:

from the New York Consulate.

9 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

New York is not in Thailand.

Even in Thailand not all banks require a withdrawal to update bank book.

I applied at the NYC Thai embassy about 2 year ago: 

walk-in CM hospital out patient  to get medical report for about 1000bth. 
purchased an online police record from PA for $15; walked into my US bank requested statement print out with stamped.
Dropped off before noon and pickup next day. There were no waiting for dropping off or pickup. The medical report was less than 3 months, police record and bank statements were within 7 days.

Edited by Jamin123
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Jamin123 said:

I applied at the NYC Thai embassy about 2 year ago: 

walk-in CM hospital out patient  to get medical report for about 1000bth. 
purchased an online police record from PA for $15; walked into my US bank requested statement print out with stamped.
Dropped off before noon and pickup next day. There were no waiting for dropping off or pickup. The medical report was less than 3 months, police record and bank statements were within 7 days.

Just got my FBI background report  today cost me $80.00 in NYC.

You mention "Purchase an online police record from PA for $15.00".

Can you give more detail what PA is online is and the link?

A printed statement, superimposed on the copy of a bank letterhead and stamped and initialled in-branch by a teller was all I needed on my two previous Non O-A applications in London. Although I've yet to apply via the evisa system, I assume it'd be accepted the same. It wasn't very professional looking, but I guess they were looking for the original bank stamp and signature as authentication.

Edit. Just noted this is for a US embassy, so ignore my comments if irrelevant. 

Edited by lamyai3

4 hours ago, tomx2 said:

You mention "Purchase an online police record from PA for $15.00".

Can you give more detail what PA is online is and the link?

PA is a abbreviation for Pennsylvania. He evidently is a resident of there.

Here information on Pennsylvania State background check:

https://www.psp.pa.gov/pages/request-a-criminal-history-record.aspx

Fees (effective December 1, 2017):
- SP4-164- $22.00, Standard Record Check Request. Only this type of request can be notarized
- Notary Fee- $5.00, Available for standard record check requests ONLY
- SP4-164A- Free , VOLUNTEERS ONLY
- SP4-170- $20.00,  Individual Access and Review. One Copy is to be submitted with a money order or certified check for the established fee, payable to Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

OP, Perhaps the Thai Consulate in New York is different from the Thai Embassy and the other Thai Consulates in the USA, but normally the Financial Requirements for a Non Imm O-A Multi-Entry Visa in the USA is to show proof of the USD equivalent of 800,000 Baht in your American Bank Account for Three (3) Months prior to the O-A Application. OR show proof of the USD equivalent of 65K Baht deposited in you American Bank Account. Showing other forms of proof of equivalent substantial financial assets is not unheard of - but it is not common. 

Also I have never heard of the applicants finances for an O-A Visa being referred to as "having financial assets to meet your living expenses for one year in Thailand" (or similar language)

However, I have read and heard of similar language used when applying for a METV.  Also while the O-A Visa is labeled as a One Year Visa in actuality it is a two year visa obtained without a formal Extension of Stay Application. 

The following was extracted from the Royal Thai Consulate General, NY/NY.... For the O-A Visa. 

"Evidence of sufficient funds is required. An original bank statement showing deposit amount equal to and no less than 800,000 Thai baht and an original letter of guarantee from the bank" 

*It is interesting to note that this NY Thai Consulate does not offer the 65K equivalent monthly income option as other USA Thai Consulates do for the O-A Visa. 

http://www.thaiconsulnewyork.com/

On 2/23/2020 at 1:06 PM, Peter Denis said:

Imo the Non Imm OA Visa is still the Golden Visa and very worthwhile if you can get it, PROVIDED you have international health-insurance that covers you while in Thailand AND are able to persuade your insurer to fill-in and sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate. 

Well and good if your stay in Thailand will only be for the duration of the O-A visa -- and the matching international health insurance (plus any extensions off of the still valid O-A visa). After that, if you want to stay longer, you'll need to buy one of those Thai insurance policies, which are making the brown envelope business now so lucrative in Thailand. So, for those really planning to retire in Thailand, best come in visa exempt/tourist visa, or better yet, with a Non Imm O visa, which if married to a Thai, is still possible to obtain in your home country.

Otherwise, you'll be joining the crowd investigating workarounds from the Thai insurance requirement with marriage extensions, or border runs to obtain a Non O visa.

2 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Well and good if your stay in Thailand will only be for the duration of the O-A visa -- and the matching international health insurance (plus any extensions off of the still valid O-A visa). After that, if you want to stay longer, you'll need to buy one of those Thai insurance policies, which are making the brown envelope business now so lucrative in Thailand. So, for those really planning to retire in Thailand, best come in visa exempt/tourist visa, or better yet, with a Non Imm O visa, which if married to a Thai, is still possible to obtain in your home country.

Otherwise, you'll be joining the crowd investigating workarounds from the Thai insurance requirement with marriage extensions, or border runs to obtain a Non O visa.

I agree with the first part of your response, i.e. that the OA Visa is still worthwhile for 1 or 2 years (if you can persuade your insurer to state on the FiC that your international HI-policy is valid for 2 years). 

Of course, applying for an extension of an OA Visa will require the worthless thai IO-approved insurance, and should indeed thus be avoided.

That can be done e.g. by converting to a Non Imm O - retirement Visa, but - and that is the point - it can ALSO be done by re-applying for an OA Visa in your home-country.  After all, if you succeeded in getting it first time using the Foreign Insurance Certificate, there is no reason that you should not be able to get it again 1 or 2 years later.

So if you visit your home-country once a year (or once every 2 year if you manage to get the 2-year FiC statement), then applying for an OA Visa - even with the present health-insurance requirement - is still worthwhile.  But it is only worth the effort PROVIDED you have international health-insurance that covers you while in Thailand AND are able to persuade your insurer to fill-in and sign the Foreign Insurance Certificate.