Blue Passports for the UK next month

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

I'm a direct descendant of Robert the Bruce. I believe my ancestor gave your ancestor a right thrashing from which he never recovered. ????????????

Naaaaah, you're a decedent of Phillip II of Spain, think you remember Nelson....?  ????

12 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Given that we left the EU less than a month ago, and negotiations for a FTA have barely begun, why are you already whining every day about delivering on the promises? It just sounds like sour grapes to me Rookie. 

Because the UK, actually its not the UK its Johnson, has started backsliding on agreements already. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/25/keep-chlorinated-chicken-ban-to-win-trade-deal-eu-tells-uk

28 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Because the UK, actually its not the UK its Johnson, has started backsliding on agreements already. 

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/25/keep-chlorinated-chicken-ban-to-win-trade-deal-eu-tells-uk

Its called keeping all your options on the table and even if  chlorine-washed chicken was in any trade agreement doesn't mean that people will be forced to buy. Its unlikely that any major UK supermarket would stock it

Edited by vinny41
typo
2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Its called keeping all your options on the table and even if  chlorine-washed chicken was in any trade agreement doesn't mean that people will be forced to buy. Its unlikely that any major UK supermarket would stock it

Read the rest of the article.

The important bit is hidden further down.

2 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Chlorinated chicken isn't an option that I'd want on my table thanks. With total freedom, now, to make health and safety rules up as they go along, how do you even know that it would be labelled as chlorinated chicken?

Or how about your loaf of bread made from genetically modified wheat? Do you really think that it will be labelled as "Contains rat genes"?

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Chlorinated chicken isn't an option that I'd want on my table thanks. With total freedom, now, to make health and safety rules up as they go along, how do you even know that it would be labelled as chlorinated chicken?

Or how about your loaf of bread made from genetically modified wheat? Do you really think that it will be labelled as "Contains rat genes"?

So you don't eat EU fruit then...?

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Labelling is viewed by US lobbyist as a non tariff barrier that the US wish to eliminate.

https://unearthed.greenpeace.org/2019/01/18/us-agribusiness-lobby-calls-on-trump-to-target-uk-food-and-environment-rules-in-brexit-trade-deal/

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Beachcomber said:

Now that we are getting our blue passports back is the same happening to our electrical wiring?

Used to be Red - Black and Green for earth. Easy for every one to understand, not like those fancy foreign colours that confuse everyone.

1224583444_OldWiring.jpg.5f0baaee87bd3bb226a451120c725042.jpg1155038018_NewWiring.jpg.2c80a52764c51bec2679f0c241f64775.jpg

They do not confuse everyone.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

They do not confuse everyone.

They confuse most people. The actual labels for the cables should be 1. Line 2. Return and 3. Earth.

Line and Return are both potentially live cables connected to the power supply - (depending on the quality of the 'return' path to the power station). Even the term 'return' could be confusing, as the power is alternating, surely both cables are for two way power transfer...

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

They confuse most people. The actual labels for the cables should be 1. Line 2. Return and 3. Earth.

Line and Return are both potentially live cables connected to the power supply - (depending on the quality of the 'return' path to the power station). Even the term 'return' could be confusing, as the power is alternating, surely both cables are for two way power transfer...

You mean live, neutral and earth?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ben2talk said:

UK electricity used to be supplied at 240V AC.  Then in 1988 the EU imposed a directive on us (CENELEC Harmonization Document HD 472 S1:1988) and forced us to reduce our voltage to the EU-wide 230V.  I'm hoping, along with every other Patriotic Brexiteer, that the stolen 10V will be reinstated once the Transition Period is over!

On 2/24/2020 at 11:50 PM, sanemax said:

Its so easy to get a new UK passport in Thailand , just need to fill out a form , give two PP photos and pay the money  

What is difficult about that ? 

Easy is not how I would personally describe the task of explaining HMPO's requirements for the photos to Thai professional photographers with zero comprehension of the English language - as exist in abundant quantities in my neck of the woods.

And you conveniently overlook the difficulties which those of us who don't live within spitting distance of the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai are faced with on account of the 2 separate route marches we're forced to undertake to 1 or other office, firstly to submit our renewal applications, and secondly to collect our replacement passports.

Still, since you're now settled back on the UK you won't, of course, be faced with any hassles of this sort when next renewing your passport, will you, thanks to HMPO's online system which you will be able to use but the use of which is denied to those of us living in Thailand for some ridiculous reason!

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 2