'Not good enough' Warren says of Bloomberg's non-disclosure agreement pledge

rooster59

'Not good enough' Warren says of Bloomberg's non-disclosure agreement pledge

By Amanda Becker and Simon Lewis

2020-02-22T032443Z_1_LYNXNPEG1L02K_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BLOOMBERG.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Former New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg talks with Senator Elizabeth Warren during a break at the ninth Democratic 2020 U.S. Presidential candidates debate at the Paris Theater in Las Vegas Nevada, U.S., February 19, 2020. REUTERS/Mike Blake/File Photo

WASHINGTON/LAS VEGAS (Reuters) - Democratic U.S. presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg said on Friday that his company has identified three women bound by non-disclosure agreements regarding his past conduct and that they would be released from their accords if they choose.

In a statement, Bloomberg, who runs media conglomerate Bloomberg LP, said the agreements concern "comments they said I had made," and that the women should contact his company for a release.

The agreements have been a source of fierce criticism from rival candidate U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren, who called on Bloomberg to release the women from the agreements during the presidential debate in Las Vegas on Wednesday and again at a televised town hall on Thursday, saying she had drawn up a "release and covenant" that the former New York City mayor could use.

"That's just not good enough," Warren told reporters while campaigning in Las Vegas on Friday.

"Michael Bloomberg needs to do a blanket release so that all women who have been muzzled by non-disclosure agreements can step up and tell their side of the story in terms of what Michael Bloomberg has done," she said.

When challenged by Warren at the debate, Bloomberg had said of the non-disclosure agreements: "None of them accuse me of doing anything other than maybe they didn't like a joke I told."

Bloomberg also said on Friday that he was ending the company's long-standing practice of requiring such confidentiality agreements when settlements are reached with employee complaints related to sexual harassment.

"I've done a lot of reflecting on this issue over the past few days, and I've decided that for as long as I'm running the company, we won't offer confidentiality agreements to resolve claims of sexual harassment or misconduct going forward," he said.

The agreements, Bloomberg said, "promote a culture of silence in the workplace and contribute to a culture of women not feeling safe or supported."

The campaign of former Vice President Joe Biden, who joined Warren's calls to release the women from the agreements during Wednesday's debate, said Bloomberg's pledge "essentially tells the public nothing."

"Horror stories abound in the public record about the culture at Bloomberg LP under Mayor Bloomberg's leadership," Biden spokeswoman Kate Bedingfield said in a statement.

"We don't know how many women signed these NDAs, what percentage of NDAs this represents, or what categories of signed NDAs exist that are excluded," she added.

(Reporting by Amanda Becker in Washington and Simon Lewis in Las Vegas; Additional reporting by Jim Oliphant in Washington and Tim Reid in Las Vegas; Editing by Sandra Maler, Will Dunham and Daniel Wallis)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-22

1 hour ago, rooster59 said:

"That's just not good enough," Warren told reporters while campaigning in Las Vegas on Friday.

"Michael Bloomberg needs to do a blanket release so that all women who have been muzzled by non-disclosure agreements can step up and tell their side of the story in terms of what Michael Bloomberg has done," she said.

Wish she would go after Impeached Donald with the same vigor and zest about his NDAs. I guess she would rather attack someone in her own party's nomination. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 3

1 hour ago, Silurian said:

Wish she would go after Impeached Donald with the same vigor and zest about his NDAs. I guess she would rather attack someone in her own party's nomination. 

Nominate Warren and Trump is the next one she goes after. Nominate Bloomberg and you lose the issue and suck the energy from your base.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ChouDoufu said:

it's good training for the main event.  if mikey can't handle those other lightweights, he won't stand a chance against a stable genius.

That's another point. Mike should not have been allowed his practice shots when he wasn't on the ballot. He shouldn't be allowed to polish his whatever you would call what he did on stage before Super Tuesday. 

The party that was supposedly going to take the money out of politics is now responsible for the largest cash injection in the history of the world. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tug said:

Hey warren mike Bloomberg is not the enemy ok enough allready you are starting to get a bit out there

Bloomberg is absolutely the enemy. He's an enemy of democracy. What good does it do to win an election if you lose your democracy? Be careful what you wish for.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Silurian said:

All these attacks against their own party candidates does nothing but ensure four more years of the Reality TV Con Man. They need to attack the Impeached POTUS first and foremost. This petty bickering is sickening.

If they want to break out in front of the pack, then do it with an inspiring message for the voters not stepping on each other to get to the top.

Nice thoughts but it's not that simple. Also the weak points of the potential candidates are best tested before they are nominated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lannarebirth said:

Bloomberg is absolutely the enemy. He's an enemy of democracy. What good does it do to win an election if you lose your democracy? Be careful what you wish for.

It doesn't seem to be bothering DT any.

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Come on, show me the NDA's. OK, now you showed me the NDA's. I am still unhappy. That is just who I am. I will taunt you endlessly, and it does not matter how you react. The taunts just keep coming. So, Mike just needs to be better prepared next time Warren comes at him. She is very vulnerable, and is probably unelectable. 

He is not showing the NDAs he is releasing some NDAs of his choosing and pledging not to have anymore. Warren is not stupid, think about it.If you were to release  some NDAs would you release the most damaging cases or the inconsequential ones? If Bloomberg was serious he would do a blanket release on all NDAs pertaining to this case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recall reading an article about Bloomberg's company in the 1990s, before he entered politics.  Asked what it was like to work there, one woman (his secretary?) said "if you can't handle 'nice _ss' comments this is not a place for you." 

Something to bear in mind with these captains of industry who run for office is that, other than family members, no one has given them backtalk for decades (hi Mitt!): never tell the boss he's wrong, a primary rule of employee-hood.  Especially now, in the midst of the metoo stuff, it really was somewhere between brass b_lls and outright arrogance for him to think he could get past the stories and NDAs with the Dems.  Maybe he never heard of Al Franken.

But I did get a chuckle out of Warren's outraged librarian tone "you don't belong up here with us, mister!"

3 hours ago, Tug said:

I beg to differ trump is the threat to democracy inviting foreign interference attacking the judiciary trying to destroy the very institutions that keep us safe I’d take bloomberg over trump any day 

The choice doesn't have to be Trump or Bloomberg ya know. You can have better than that. Buttigieg and Warren are about through. Joe might cripple in to Super Tuesday if he isn't humiliated in SC. Amy might get some of the Warren vote. Joe and Bloomberg split Pete's support. There's still a lot of shifting ahead. Here's a suggestion. Watch Bloomberg's interview on Firing Line.

18 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

There is an old joke. What's the difference between cannibals and dems? The dems eat their own. They can't help but blindly attack whoever is in their way. If Warren cared about her party let alone the American people she would have already dropped out.

did you forget the repub nomination debates last time?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sujo said:

did you forget the repub nomination debates last time?

They always do lol and squeezed out a win against an unpopular woman to anoint the equivalent of a 3rd grade sandbox bulley and a narcissist to boot lol now they are cowering in fear as he wrecks our democracy yup some party those republicans 

• Haha 1

On 2/22/2020 at 2:15 PM, spidermike007 said:

She is very vulnerable, and is probably unelectable. 

She has shown herself to be a political weather vane, pointing in whatever direction the money is blowing. Unelectable indeed!