London police charges man in mosque stabbing

rooster59

London police charges man in mosque stabbing

2020-02-22T015551Z_1_LYNXMPEG1L01F_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-SECURITY.JPG

Police officers are seen outside the London Central Mosque in London, Britain February 21, 2020. REUTERS/Peter Nicholls

(Reuters) - London police said on Friday that they had charged a 29-year-old man in the stabbing of a prayer leader at a mosque in Park Road.

Daniel Horton, charged with section 18 GBH and possession of a bladed article, is due to appear in custody at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Feb. 22, Police said.

Raafat Maglad, the prayer leader who was stabbed around the top of his shoulder by the attacker, said in a BBC interview that he did not hate his attacker and felt sorry for him.

"I just felt blood flowing from my neck and that's it, they rushed me to the hospital. Everything happened all of a sudden," Maglad told BBC.

According to a witness, around 100 worshippers were in the mosque hall at the time of the attack on Thursday and some 20 people jumped on the assailant. "I heard screaming," said the witness, who declined to give his full name, "and then we saw the blood."

"The attacker was apprehended by the worshippers until the police arrived and arrested him," the London Central Mosque Trust said in a statement.

London's Metropolitan Police said detectives did not believe the incident was terrorism-related.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson condemned the incident and said he was deeply saddened to hear of the attack.

"It's so awful that this should happen, especially in a place of worship. My thoughts are with the victim and all those affected," Johnson said on Twitter on Thursday.

(Reporting by Anurag Maan in Bengaluru; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-02-22

9 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Raafat Maglad, the prayer leader who was stabbed around the top of his shoulder by the attacker, said in a BBC interview that he did not hate his attacker and felt sorry for him.

Good man, hope you recover soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sujo said:

These right wingers are getting out of control.

Well, that post aged very badly. Not sure many of these "right wingers" you often allude to are regulars at the local mosque?

"She told the court the victim and defendant were known to each other because Horton had been attending the mosque for a number of years."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8032135/Homeless-man-29-accused-stabbing-prayer-leader-attending-mosque-years.html

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Right Islamic ex-jailbird, wrong mosque. 

So which mosque is it that you claim Choudray

23 hours ago, 7by7 said:

has since regularly addressed demonstrations and other gatherings.

Having established that, you should immediately inform the police because if he really is doing as you claim, he is breaking the terms of his early release! Jailed preacher Anjem Choudary faces strict controls after release

He will need prior approval from his probation officer, which he is not expected to be given, to take part directly or indirectly in demonstrations, public meetings, social media chat groups, public statements to the media or anything that disseminates his views.

Unless, of course, you can provide credible evidence that for some very strange reason such prior approval was granted!

But thanks for the reminder of the Finsbury Park mosque's links to a number of convicted Islamic radicals, not least former Imam Abu Hamza Al-Mazri, released after seven years jail in the UK and now serving a life sentence in a US prison for terror offences.

Unlike those of certain political beliefs, I am not afraid to post the truth. Even if so doing may provide ammunition for you to try and convince yourself that the events of 15 years ago when the local Muslim community took back control of their mosque never happened.

Those, of course, were the bad old days Today, Finsbury, London Central and the rest of the UK's mosques are models of tolerance and harmony spreading sweetness, light and brotherly love of the infidel.

Many are, maybe you should try visiting some!

1 hour ago, Krataiboy said:

Leopard. Spots.

A throw away remark which could equally apply to Christianity; which over the last two millennia has been responsible for far more torture and death than any other. Torture and death which continues to this day; particularly in Central Africa. But as their victims are African too, the Western media isn't interested.

The Koran IS Islamist propaganda. It preaches hatred and death. Try reading it.

You should try reading the New Testament, a lot of hatred and death there. As for the Old Testament; full of it.

But I suspect that you have never read any of them, and have no intention of ever so doing. Why bother, when the selected, out of context quotes from the Koran provided by Gates of Vienna and similar provide all the 'proof' you need to fuel your prejudice. 

Edited by 7by7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Leopard. Spots.

The Koran IS Islamist propaganda. It preaches hatred and death. Try reading it.

Ever heard of the bible?

Btw, books dont preach. Its the person doing the preaching thats to blame.

You dont read the koran as such. You are taught it.

Edited by Sujo

28 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

So which mosque is it that you claim Choudray

Having established that, you should immediately inform the police because if he really is doing as you claim, he is breaking the terms of his early release! Jailed preacher Anjem Choudary faces strict controls after release

Unless, of course, you can provide credible evidence that for some very strange reason such prior approval was granted!

Unlike those of certain political beliefs, I am not afraid to post the truth. Even if so doing may provide ammunition for you to try and convince yourself that the events of 15 years ago when the local Muslim community took back control of their mosque never happened.

Many are, maybe you should try visiting some!

A throw away remark which could equally apply to Christianity; which over the last two millennia has been responsible for far more torture and death than any other. Torture and death which continues to this day; particularly in Central Africa. But as their victims are African too, the Western media isn't interested.

You should try reading the New Testament, a lot of hatred and death there. As for the Old Testament; full of it.

But I suspect that you have never read any of them, and have no intention of ever so doing. Why bother, when the selected, out of context quotes from the Koran provided by Gates of Vienna and similar provide all the 'proof' you need to fuel your prejudice. 

If you want to know which mosque I referenced, rather than the one you erroneously mentioned, you have the means to do so.

The rest of your diatribe is irrelevant twaddle unworthy of a response.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Leopard. Spots.

The Koran <SNIP>. Try reading it.

Many interpretations according to personal spirituality or lack of. What is a constant with some on this forum is total rejection of the spirituality residing within Islam - I am not talking to, IMO, the nonsensical mythology that resides in Abrahamic religions. But what follows (a very brief excerpt from Sufi philosophy) is an example of Islamic spirituality...

"The Universe is neither pure Being, nor pure nothingness It is total magic, it makes you think that it is God and it is not God, it makes you think it is creation and it is not creation, for in every respect it is neither this nor that"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, simple1 said:

Many interpretations according to personal spirituality or lack of. What is a constant with some on this forum is total rejection of the spirituality residing within Islam - I am not talking to, IMO, the nonsensical mythology that resides in Abrahamic religions. But what follows (a very brief excerpt from Sufi philosophy) is an example of Islamic spirituality...

"The Universe is neither pure Being, nor pure nothingness It is total magic, it makes you think that it is God and it is not God, it makes you think it is creation and it is not creation, for in every respect it is neither this nor that"

Actions matter more than words. Vilifying and slaughtering non-believers and apostates is no way to spread a religion. This is a lesson which, unlike Christianity and other faiths, Islam has yet to learn. Until it updates it medieval view of the world, it will remain incompatible with with Western culture and a constant source of conflict.

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/22/2020 at 5:45 PM, Sujo said:

These right wingers are getting out of control. Lucky it wasnt the US or we'd be counting body bags.

Very forgiving man. I wouldnt be so kind.

They had previously said he (the attacker) had prayed at the mosque and was known there - so less right than you imagine.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

If you want to know which mosque I referenced, rather than the one you erroneously mentioned, you have the means to do so.

I have utilised the 'means to do so' and, as I said previously, I can find no record anywhere of Choudray preaching outside, or indeed inside, any mosque anywhere since his release on licence. Neither can I find any record of him addressing any public meeting of any kind anywhere since his release. As said, were he to do so he would be breaking the terms of his licence and so arrested and sent back to prison to serve the rest of his term.

You are the one who made the claim that he is breaking the terms of his licence. Why are you unable to provide evidence to back this claim up? If you have it, then instead of making snide remarks on the internet, why don't you provide this evidence to the police so he is put back behind bars where he belongs?

5 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

The rest of your diatribe is irrelevant twaddle unworthy of a response.

The usual response from people like you after being proven to be posting ill informed rubbish and being asked questions to which you have no answer.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

They had previously said he (the attacker) had prayed at the mosque and was known there - so less right than you imagine.

Whatever the religious convictions and motivation of the alleged Central Mosque attacker, there can be no denying the ongoing threat posed to the UK by Islamic terrorism.

A British woman converted to the medieval ideology twelve years ago is currently awaiting sentence after admitting a plot to blow herself up in a planned bomb attack on St Paul's Cathedral.

Neil Basu, head of counter terrorism policing, says his team is investigating around 800 live counter-terror investigations. Since the Westminster attack in March 2017, no less than 24 plots had been thwarted.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Whatever the religious convictions and motivation of the alleged Central Mosque attacker, there can be no denying the ongoing threat posed to the UK by Islamic terrorism.

A British woman converted to the medieval ideology twelve years ago is currently awaiting sentence after admitting a plot to blow herself up in a planned bomb attack on St Paul's Cathedral.

Neil Basu, head of counter terrorism policing, says his team is investigating around 800 live counter-terror investigations. Since the Westminster attack in March 2017, no less than 24 plots had been thwarted.

No one denies that Islamic terrorism is still a threat, but it is not the only one.

How many of the 800 investigations and 24 thwarted plots were related to Islamic terrorism? Very telling that you wont say!

Fastest-growing UK terrorist threat is from far right, say police

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

Your remarks apply to a very tiny minority of Muslims. All of whom have been roundly and repeatedly condemned by Islamic religious, political and community leaders as well as ordinary Muslim members of the public. Not only recently, but for decades.

The 712-page Google doc that proves Muslims do condemn terrorism

My beef is not with Muslims, but the medieval ideology whcih causes the minority you speak of to cause harm on a scale belying their numbers. No amount of pious hand-writing, nor even the dubious support of Google can change this sad reality. 

Stop trying to defend the indefensible.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I have utilised the 'means to do so' and, as I said previously, I can find no record anywhere of Choudray preaching outside, or indeed inside, any mosque anywhere since his release on licence. Neither can I find any record of him addressing any public meeting of any kind anywhere since his release. As said, were he to do so he would be breaking the terms of his licence and so arrested and sent back to prison to serve the rest of his term.

You are the one who made the claim that he is breaking the terms of his licence. Why are you unable to provide evidence to back this claim up? If you have it, then instead of making snide remarks on the internet, why don't you provide this evidence to the police so he is put back behind bars where he belongs?

The usual response from people like you after being proven to be posting ill informed rubbish and being asked questions to which you have no answer.

You're not looking hard enough. If Mr Choudary feels I am maligning him, tell him to sue me.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

No one denies that Islamic terrorism is still a threat, but it is not the only one.

How many of the 800 investigations and 24 thwarted plots were related to Islamic terrorism? Very telling that you wont say!

Fastest-growing UK terrorist threat is from far right, say police

The BBC report I quoted from did not specify how many of the thwarted plots were related to Islamic terrorism. However, the vast majorityof terrorist related deaths in Great Britain, are linked to Islamic jihad and religious extremism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents_in_Great_Britain

Perhaps you would enlighten us as to the percentage of terror attacks blamed by the police on the "far right". And could these, by any chance, be the same police who for decades chose  to ignored the rape, torture and trafficking of thousands of underage UK girls by mainly-Muslim "grooming" gangs?

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Perhaps you would enlighten us as to the percentage of terror attacks blamed by the police on the "far right". And could these, by any chance, be the same police who for decades chose  to ignored the rape, torture and trafficking of thousands of underage UK girls by mainly-Muslim "grooming" gangs?

Your slur on UK counter terrorism agencies in unforgivable, Regards right wing counter terrorism investigations info below dated 09/19, there would of course be other groups/individuals other than Islamists.

Police said they and MI5, which since 2018 has taken the lead on the most serious extreme rightwing plots, were carrying out 80 investigations to stop violence fuelled by ideologies such as white supremacism and Islamophobia.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/19/fastest-growing-uk-terrorist-threat-is-from-far-right-say-police

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, simple1 said:

Your slur on UK counter terrorism agencies in unforgivable, Regards right wing counter terrorism investigations info below dated 09/19, there would of course be other groups/individuals other than Islamists.

Police said they and MI5, which since 2018 has taken the lead on the most serious extreme rightwing plots, were carrying out 80 investigations to stop violence fuelled by ideologies such as white supremacism and Islamophobia.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/sep/19/fastest-growing-uk-terrorist-threat-is-from-far-right-say-police

Get off your sanctimonious high horse. No slur was made or intended against the brave men and women of our security forces seeking to spread of terrorism from whatever source.

However, we need to face facts, however unpalatable they may be to some of us.

One of these is that the vast majority of terrorist related deaths in Great Britain in recent years are linked to Islamic jihad and religious extremism. The same applies to foiled plots.

Alnother is that for decades our police, and security forces political leaders shamefully chose to ignore the "industrial scale" abuse of thousands of underage British girls for fear of upsetting the Muslim minority.

This craven collective act of misguided political correctness led to the destruction of many young lives and, as "Asian" rape gangs continue to make headlines, is fuelling anti-Muslim sentiment and reprisal incidents.

As ye sow. . . 

Edited by Krataiboy
  • Thanks 2

Get off your sanctimonious high horse. No slur was made or intended against the brave men and women of our security forces seeking to spread of terrorism from whatever source.

However, we need to face facts, however unpalatable they may be to some of us.

One of these is that the vast majority of terrorist related deaths in Great Britain in recent years are linked to Islamic jihad and religious extremism. The same applies to foiled plots.

Alnother is that for decades our police, and security forces political leaders shamefully chose to ignore the "industrial scale" abuse of thousands of underage British girls for fear of upsetting the Muslim minority.

This craven collective act of misguided political correctness led to the destruction of many young lives and, as "Asian" rape gangs continue to make headlines, is fuelling anti-Muslim sentiment and reprisal incidents.

As ye sow. . . 

Apologies. Line 2 of the opening para should read "security forces seeking to stop the spread" etc

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Really? no slur intended by your words  - LOL - to quote you.

"And could these, by any chance, be the same police who for decades chose  to ignored the"