Pattaya: Reports of resort’s demise greatly exaggerated, tourists still here, say beach vendors

rooster59

On 2/22/2020 at 11:52 AM, URMySunshine said:

Probably Russian and northern european snowbirds. 

Your right I have been down there the last 5 mornings in a row 11am Russians mostly who spend nothing there. It must be a fake photo or taken another time as I haven't seen those people. 

On 2/22/2020 at 12:36 PM, morrobay said:

Those photos and vender reports are from Jomtien. Russians / Scandinavians. I would guess 60/40. Definitely more crowded than Pattaya. 

I was in Jomtein last weekend and it seems dead on the beach, nothing like that pic!!

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Da Nang said:

Dong Tang beach is a homo area. Those people are there even when it is raining. It is not for tanning, but some other kind of activities.

The gay section, marked with a couple of rainbow flags, is only a very small part of Dongtan beach. The rest of the 800 metre long beach is mostly filled with Russian families in high season. I’ve had to memorise the Russian for “I’m sorry, I don’t speak Russian”.

1 hour ago, Da Nang said:

Scandies have winter sport holiday  at the moment without snow, so last minute tickets to Thailand, perhaps?

Dong Tang beach is a homo area. Those people are there even when it is raining. It is not for tanning, but some other kind of activities.

You must have been there when it was raining to know that.

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, BigStar said:

Not unless you agree with it.

Par for the course. But if they speak to a couple of vendors complaining about the lack of those great Golden Egg Layers on whom the prosperity of Thailand critically depends, the applause is deafening, followed by the usual chants from the chorus.

Huh? Whazzit?

Oh, if it's to drum up page views from our old curmudgeons and doomsters, always easy marks, it's not rubbish at all. It's highly intelligent, timely, and valuable. ????

Well all that guff added precisely nothing, did it?

14 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

The majority of westerners that are not coming to Pattaya and Thailand in general ,is because with the Baht so strong its expensive , thats why my family not coming  this year.

the company my son runs is importing ,,even the owner doesnt like coming,two export businesses in Leam Chabang near my sons have closed down already.The virus is just another nail in the coffin.

The baht is down to the US Dollar as of 2/24/20

Edited by Tony125

2 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Well all that guff added precisely nothing, did it?

More than all your guff: namely, none of these stories are to be taken about as seriously as the guff that follows them. They're all followed by a bunch of random observations and equally spurious conclusions. And I pointed out that if the article were slanted the other way, then your guff, along with most of the others', would have been all in agreement. ????

• Thanks 1

A couple of off topic posts have been removed, why are you posting about corona virus quarantine in Italy we can all read that elsewhere if we have a mind to.  This topic is about:

Pattaya: Reports of resort’s demise greatly exaggerated, tourists still here, say beach vendors

On 2/22/2020 at 5:46 AM, Cake Monster said:

Another 2 weeks or so, and all the Snow Birds from Scandinavia and Russia will fly back home.

Then the picture will be different, with all these vendors that are now saying there is no problem holding out their grubby mitts for Gov,t money

and how many will carry a payload virus back home ?

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 8:18 AM, champers said:

Vodka kills off all germs and viruses. Only 2 Corona virus cases reported in Russia. They must be the 2 teetotalers.

Russian did the right thing and closed the border with China ,but Thailand ???????

• Like 1

My wife has a small guesthouse on one of the islands. We have been business as usual until this week. Now nearly empty when last year our high season ended in late March. I compared this year's bookings to last year and we are down 50% for March. I am thinking that people in the West who already had bookings kept them as travel insurance will not cover change of mind due to the virus, but those who had not booked weeks ago when the virus was first reported went somewhere else. It does not bother us much as we have had a good season so far and close in a few weeks but for others depending on people booking in low season it is a worry.

On 2/24/2020 at 10:35 AM, BigStar said:

More than all your guff: namely, none of these stories are to be taken about as seriously as the guff that follows them. They're all followed by a bunch of random observations and equally spurious conclusions. And I pointed out that if the article were slanted the other way, then your guff, along with most of the others', would have been all in agreement. ????

Well, if you are talking about guff, your blather and guff above about takes the bladdy biscuit!  ????????????

Well, I appreciate that these photos aren't in Pattaya, but this was Terminal 2 at Don Meuang airport at 10.30 in the morning last Monday.  Almost deserted.

And I was in Swampy sending off a family member that night at about 11 pm - I reckon there were at least 30-40% less travellers than normal.  It was busy, but nothing like as busy as it usually is at that time.  Sorry, no photos.  

Don't anyone try to delude themselves that tourism figures haven't fallen.  

DMK2.jpg

DMK1.jpg

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, rooster59 said:

"We're still smiling - we have the Europeans".

The TAT loathed farangs are back.  Vendors and business owners are happy.  Go figure.  Should be about the time to take Europeans off the visa on arrival lists and charge 1900 THB for the privilege of visiting Thailand.  If Chinese and Indians are the sought after tourists, than farang are definitely the "milk cows."

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:41 AM, rooster59 said:

"Jampee" confirmed this saying that the virus had not affected her business at all. After all her customers were not Chinese or Asian in the first place. So if they were not coming it wasn't making any difference to her.

And "Bingo!"  Exactly.