Pattaya: Reports of resort’s demise greatly exaggerated, tourists still here, say beach vendors

rooster59

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

One of the problems with all these reports is they use stock photos.

This one could have been taken 10 years ago, where's all the mobile phones?

Nobody with a phone, or earphones, or reading a digital book ........ how likely is that today?

TVF can't afford any more for photo rights or the server fund for that matter !

19 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Nobody with a phone, or earphones, or reading a digital book ........ how likely is that today?

My initial thought exactly.  That photo could have been taken any time in the last 10 or even more years.

This so-called 'story' is nothing more than a big puff-piece to try to get more gullible idiots to swell the numbers in a dying sh!thole.  

Edited by Mister Fixit
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, madmen said:

The girl laying on a towel must be staring intensely at the sand then. Several people are hunched over, must be more sand staring 

You can't see a clear pic of most hands either 

Trust me vendors don't fudge the numbers up, that makes zero sense! 

Far more likely to be staring at a book or magazine, but no one can tell because the other girl's head is in the way.  Hardly a critically thought out observation, was it?

And if you think those deckchair scam artists vendors wouldn't tell a whole bunch of porkies just to try to convince the gullible it was still business as usual in the dump that Pattaya is to try to ramp up numbers, then you are living in another universe.  ???? ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And remember: the majority is not generation Z :biggrin:

And there were no white plastic deck chairs ages ago.

I remember fiddling with these wood/fabric ones.

Always good for a laugh.

Well in 16 years here, I have only ever seen the white plastic ones, so you must be even more ancient than me!!

• Like 1

This article is hardly representative of the situation though, is it?  How many vendors did they speak to - three?  Not exactly a representative sample of what's going on.  

Jomtien beach has always been more popular that Pattaya beach, especially with the Scandis and Slavs, so nothing new there.

Let's see a proper survey done all the way from North Pattaya all the way down past Jomtien and see what comes out of that.  

As I said upthread, this rubbish article is nothing more than a puff-piece to drum up flagging business.  

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mister Fixit said:

This article is hardly representative of the situation though, is it? 

Not unless you agree with it.

How many vendors did they speak to - three?  Not exactly a representative sample of what's going on. 

Par for the course. But if they speak to a couple of vendors complaining about the lack of those great Golden Egg Layers on whom the prosperity of Thailand critically depends, the applause is deafening, followed by the usual chants from the chorus.

Let's see a proper survey done

Huh? Whazzit?

As I said upthread, this rubbish article is nothing more than a puff-piece to drum up flagging business.

Oh, if it's to drum up page views from our old curmudgeons and doomsters, always easy marks, it's not rubbish at all. It's highly intelligent, timely, and valuable. ????

This article is hardly representative of the situation though, is it?  How many vendors did they speak to - three?  Not exactly a representative sample of what's going on.  

Jomtien beach has always been more popular that Pattaya beach, especially with the Scandis and Slavs, so nothing new there.

Let's see a proper survey done all the way from North Pattaya all the way down past Jomtien and see what comes out of that.  

doubt any one is going to spend resources to do surveys at this point time. maybe more prudent that money on assisting the affected operators.

21 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Someone with a smart BMW with a state of the art farang evaluating device would be able to figure it out quick.

Gotta say though, it never crossed my mind ever to sit in one of those umbrella areas.  I have on occasion taken a pic to send to friends back in the west to show them what they were missing.

22 hours ago, brakar said:

I was in Pattaya last week and everything seems normal except that Chinese coaches were missing.

I would guess the floating market at Pattaya would get a serious knock and Aquariums etc where the Chinese go and Andaman sea Islands,.. Most certainly Accomodation providers in BKK, Pattaya, Chiang Mai,and Phuket areas...

22 hours ago, brakar said:

I was in Pattaya last week and everything seems normal except that Chinese coaches were missing.

22 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Another 2 weeks or so, and all the Snow Birds from Scandinavia and Russia will fly back home.

Then the picture will be different, with all these vendors that are now saying there is no problem holding out their grubby mitts for Gov,t money

Well we both think the same way. Soon they will want government handouts to do nothing in return.

5 minutes ago, legend49 said:

And how much were the touts paid to say all is good?

Gold! 

They were paid! 

It's a trick pic! 

They all pre booked! 

Why are the posters living near a jungle and some with an ex Pattaya gal so keen to see Pattaya fail? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Earlier in the month we walked about 1 km up to Central along the beach about 10.30am, nobody walked past us, chairs were only about 5% full at most

And when I was on beach Rd friday around noon the chairs off soi 7 to 9 were quite full. The bars at the other side werd well visited too. So are the restaurants in Central and on Naklua Rd,

Pattaya is far from deserted, but less crowded by hords of Chinese and tour busses.

• Like 1