Pattaya: Reports of resort’s demise greatly exaggerated, tourists still here, say beach vendors

rooster59

23 hours ago, BritManToo said:

One of the problems with all these reports is they use stock photos.

This one could have been taken 10 years ago, where's all the mobile phones?

Nobody with a phone, or earphones, or reading a digital book ........ how likely is that today?

According to Google Images this didn't exist on the internet until two days ago, so not a stock photo. End of conspiracy theory. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always easy to get some busy beaches shots if you take your camera to popular sunbathing spots near big hotels.

The true litmus test for visitor numbers, I would have thought, is the rise or fall in accommodation bookings, conspicuous in this Sophon report by their absence. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 11:50 AM, keith101 said:

More likely a mixture of local farang enjoying the beach without all the Chinese everywhere .

I live in Jomtien,it is very busy with Russian and other europeans and i dare say a number of expats that live here.

I think this report is pretty much on the money!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well as long as the vendors are happy making good business sales

Same the restaurants 

It seems only the hotels and bars are losing customers

Looking at the news on the spread of the Chinese virus 

South Korea and Italy getting worse

Cant see any positives for Thailand in future tourist numbers 

Business has been very poor for the Pattaya beach chair/lounger vendors over the last three months, much worse than recent years.  Noise/mess from drainage roadworks along with the 100 baht per lounger hasn't helped, plus the fact that farang tourism is well down.

The Wednesday no-chairs beach cleaning nonsense was dropped for the high season, but has now been reintroduced.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 12:59 PM, BritManToo said:

Nobody with a phone, or earphones, or reading a digital book ........ how likely is that today?

Well noticed. A lot of those trees are also gone.

On 2/22/2020 at 5:51 AM, madmen said:

Oh dear, the usual TV resident Pattaya bashers won't like this. Can't get a better source of information than the vendors themselves! 

its not pattaya its jomtien.jomtien will soon be dead aswell,when the russians and scans go home.they sit on the beach all day,drink and eat from 7/11.Not pattaya bashers.Is telling the truth a basher.The place is finished to what it used to be.And they have brought it on themselves.

• Like 1

On 2/22/2020 at 12:59 PM, BritManToo said:

True, you can tell by the distance to where the sand ends and water starts in the photo.  The photo is stock, and not recent.  The "new" beach extends much further since they added all the sand.  

Some days seems pretty busy, some days not.  I walk 3-4 times a week on the Pattaya beach road.  Jomtien is definitely busier than Pattaya beach.  Then up north at some of the Naklua beaches I have walked to also seem busy, but with all the new condos and hotels built in the last 20 years....when I say busy, I mean the same number as 20 years ago busy.  Amazes me how developers can even get financing in a small town already overbuilt for the last 10 years or so.  The city should buy up all the old hotels and condos, tear them down and turn the land into parks or parking lots. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thomas Hannah said:

its not pattaya its jomtien.jomtien will soon be dead aswell,when the russians and scans go home.they sit on the beach all day,drink and eat from 7/11.Not pattaya bashers.Is telling the truth a basher.The place is finished to what it used to be.

Jomtien’s always been like that, far more seasonal than Pattaya. I think it’s the reason why it can’t support a shopping mall or even a large supermarket, despite the huge number of condos.

On 2/22/2020 at 2:12 PM, Chivas said:

Beach vendors of Jomtien may be fine but the bars of around Soi 2 Soi 3 Soi 6 Soi 7 and Soi 8 are utterly deserted

Have never see anything like it.

I'd estimate that Soi 8 at 11pm last night had no more than 10 guys the entire length of the soi. Ghost areas

Maybe the demographic has changed - the old days when you boarded the plane to Bangkok and the queue was full of single dodgy guys looking for cheap sex has disappeared.

The bar scene is dying - the younger woke millennial generation will have nothing to do with prostitution 

About time . 

• Sad 1

On 2/22/2020 at 12:41 PM, spiekerjozef said:

Are your reporters dense or just don't know their way around Thailand ?  There have been reports for weeks that there were still many EU/Russian tourists in Jomtien/Hua Hin on the beach and in restaurants.  Jomtien and Hua Hin are not Pattaya or Walking Street.  Were few Chinese or EU/Russians on Pattaya Beach when I was there last week and no tour busses. Few Chinese at Kow Yai Clothing Outlet  and ChoChai Farm Steakhouse where I am now, no buses just individual families.

Also the baht is dropping against the US $ now 31.58

87385810_182898652966447_9153084768206716928_n.jpg

87038181_875153832934937_4346589006146830336_n.jpg

Edited by Tony125
  • Like 1