Pattaya: Reports of resort’s demise greatly exaggerated, tourists still here, say beach vendors

rooster59

On 2/22/2020 at 12:59 PM, BritManToo said:

One of the problems with all these reports is they use stock photos.

This one could have been taken 10 years ago, where's all the mobile phones?

Nobody with a phone, or earphones, or reading a digital book ........ how likely is that today?

That is where you are 100% wrong. 10 years ago they had those old wooden deck chairs, not the plastic ones introduced in the last couple of years.

• Like 1

If it was not for the Russian, or European tourists, that some of the government seem to

not care about, and the smattering of other White skinned tourists, most of

the beaches in Thailand would be empty. I have not seen the hoards of Indians, and of course

not a lot of the favorite Chinese,  the TAT or government were wooing only several weeks ago.

What is going to happen when these tourists, and a lot of the seasonal expats leave after

April? Low season will be dead season in 2020.

Geezer.

On 2/22/2020 at 12:46 PM, trigpoint said:

Not Pattaya, jomtein is busy, (compared to Pattaya beach which is dead,) with the usual Scandis Germans and a lot more Russian this year,, all be gone by the end of next month anyway. 

Correct, they came to escape the winter back home, and possibly booked long before the recent outbreak.

Wait till they've gone home and others have had time to change their plans, then it will be quiet!

The majority of westerners that are not coming to Pattaya and Thailand in general ,is because with the Baht so strong its expensive , thats why my family not coming  this year.

the company my son runs is importing ,,even the owner doesnt like coming,two export businesses in Leam Chabang near my sons have closed down already.The virus is just another nail in the coffin.

Edited by ivor bigun
  • Like 1

The bars away from beach road seem busy ( I think people have been driven away by the drainage works).

I don’t believe the Chinese are big patrons of the bars and go gos so don’t think they would be missed on that scene. Will be interesting to see what it’s like in 6 weeks or so.

On 2/22/2020 at 11:52 AM, URMySunshine said:

Probably Russian and northern european snowbirds. 

In Phuket last week. Plenty of hotel rooms of all categories available and booking sites saying bookings at 60% which seems low for the season. But beaches busy though not crazily so.  European and lots of Russians again. Lots of familes. Must be similar in Pattaya eh?

My flight BKk to Phuket had lots of empty seats but my direct return flight to Khon Kaen packed with Thais.

They headlined their report with: "We're still smiling - we have the Europeans".   I have to admit the Thais are really the true world opportunist champions. So now they have the Europeans again ?? There is no doubt when there would be no tourists coming to the Land of Fake Smile any more,  the Thais would dance, kiss or worse with the devil. Just for the sake of money.

3 hours ago, Winky Wilson said:

Oh my, they are swimming in water with cholera and listeria contamination.

I must have spent a couple of hundred hours over several years swimming at Jomtien beach, and have never yet been sick. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, and I do spit out any seawater that enters my mouth. The water certainly doesn’t look as clean as that of the average Mediterranean beach, but I think people on this forum greatly exaggerate its poor quality. As for many beaches, it’s not a good idea to swim after heavy rain.

• Like 1

Pattaya City had a bit of disappointing tourist turnout in 2020 New Year Peak holiday travel season, that had been prior to any Coronavirus news.  Into the late January 2020,  the high season tourism in Pattaya City is getting worse and one can feel the quiet scene along beach road and walking street.   Soi Buokhao scene is not so much affected as the beach side and walking street because of plenty of long stay expat patronizing Soi Buokhao.  Into mid Feb and the past the couple weeks,  the local vendors in Pattaya City had come to the sense of a really tough time ahead,  their face showed the stress,  their manner changed a bit as well.   Bad shape is surely not an overstatement to describe Pattaya city tourism. 

Jomtien City is different.  Jomtien City had been doing fine with busy restaurants and crowded JT night market along Jomtien Beach Road as well as busy beach in daytime  The Russians are the dominant group in Jomtien,  family and couple and vacationers and long stayers Russians are all here.  Conversation among foreigners on bus ride and at beach are mostly in Russian Language.  Another cross reference info is Pattaya-Jomtien baht bus run.  The passenger line up for the buses was impressive, to say the least.    

Not quite the complete story to report still.   I noticed the Jomtien patronage had faded quite obviously for the past 5-7 days.  

I am relative new to Jomtien,  not Pattaya City.   As I moved and stayed in Jomtien for the past month and a half,  I had been quite shocked of the contrast of the two.       

To add one more line about the Coronavirus impact,  I don't buy the idea the PRC would return quickly pending on Coronavirus ending.  That is bad news for Thai Tourism and equally bad for Thai Condo Market  ( not related to this thread ) too .  I fear for them. 

Don't count me as Thai basher in any sense,  I always love Thailand from a junior to my senior year now. 

23 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

I must have spent a couple of hundred hours over several years swimming at Jomtien beach, and have never yet been sick. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, and I do spit out any seawater that enters my mouth. The water certainly doesn’t look as clean as that of the average Mediterranean beach, but I think people on this forum greatly exaggerate its poor quality. As for many beaches, it’s not a good idea to swim after heavy rain.

This year I swam in Jomtien Beach at least a dozen times.   

Before 2020,  I had had about 10 swims in Jomtien beach. 

OK for me so far.   

Had never swum in Pattaya beach,  just toe-testing the water there prior.  

• Like 1

Scandies have winter sport holiday  at the moment without snow, so last minute tickets to Thailand, perhaps?

Dong Tang beach is a homo area. Those people are there even when it is raining. It is not for tanning, but some other kind of activities.

• Haha 1