BANGKOK
rooster59

The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand's been an education - just don't expect me to do my homework!

Are you singing "This'll be the day that I die"?After all you are close to the endangered (age) list for the beer virut.I had the good fortune to spend 2 years in a school called the A.M.E. (Advance Modern Education) which I suspect was another way of saying "to hard basket" No uniforms no cane and no homework!I must say I turned out alright but I suspect others beg to differ.Good piece.Peace!That's with two fingers not three as three seems to be against the law.

P.S '61 was a very good year!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

15 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I could not agree more.

Ha ha! There is a "Worst Jokes" sub-forum for this type of humour.

Thanks for a great read this week Rooster. I always enjoy your column, and this is one of the best IMHO.

Cheers. Thanks for the positivity and thanks for reading.

Rooster

• Like 1

Wow, what an interesting story, true or not? 

I was missing stories about your cousins, your wives, and other people related to you,  what they were earning and eating and sure about the weather...... 😕

Totally agree on the subject of homework, our three and a half year old daughter goes to a private school here in Northern Chiang Mai Province, mainly because they have a heavy emphasis on learning English and so she has access to other kids.Yet she comes home with homework which mainly is coloring in exercises, beggars belief.

On the subject of speaking English at home fortunately because my Thai is abysmal that’s all that occurs between my daughter and myself, her Thai mother speaks excellent English so they rotate between Thai, Lana and English often leaving me in the

dark.

I wonder if this is part of the problem with the low standard of English here, they learn at school but don’t or can’t practice at home ?

Finally on the subject of car safety I see kids leaving school standing up on the front seat of the car, I have suggested to the junior school principal that they educate both the parents and the kids on the dangers.

Unfortunately it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

A great article by the way.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree on the subject of homework, our three and a half year old daughter goes to a private school here in Northern Chiang Mai Province, mainly because they have a heavy emphasis on learning English and so she has access to other kids.Yet she comes home with homework which mainly is coloring in exercises, beggars belief.

On the subject of speaking English at home fortunately because my Thai is abysmal that’s all that occurs between my daughter and myself, her Thai mother speaks excellent English so they rotate between Thai, Lana and English often leaving me in the

dark.

I wonder if this is part of the problem with the low standard of English here, they learn at school but don’t or can’t practice at home ?

Finally on the subject of car safety I see kids leaving school standing up on the front seat of the car, I have suggested to the junior school principal that they educate both the parents and the kids on the dangers.

Unfortunately it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

A great article by the way.

Press on with educating about car safety. You may save a life one day, let that be your motivation. Do it yourself if the school won't help - how about online via the school's website? I make suggestions about my kids' school like that...gently!

Kids who live in a dual language background have many advantages. It's hilarious in my house!

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

• Like 1

Rooster - I have long admired the courage (and indeed the humour) of your writings - but how have you managed to avoid sessions of 'attitude adjustment?'