The week that was in Thailand news: Thailand's been an education - just don't expect me to do my homework!

rooster59

Are you singing "This'll be the day that I die"?After all you are close to the endangered (age) list for the beer virut.I had the good fortune to spend 2 years in a school called the A.M.E. (Advance Modern Education) which I suspect was another way of saying "to hard basket" No uniforms no cane and no homework!I must say I turned out alright but I suspect others beg to differ.Good piece.Peace!That's with two fingers not three as three seems to be against the law.

P.S '61 was a very good year!

Edited by FarFlungFalang

15 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I could not agree more.

Ha ha! There is a "Worst Jokes" sub-forum for this type of humour.

Thanks for a great read this week Rooster. I always enjoy your column, and this is one of the best IMHO.

Cheers. Thanks for the positivity and thanks for reading.

Rooster

• Like 1

Totally agree on the subject of homework, our three and a half year old daughter goes to a private school here in Northern Chiang Mai Province, mainly because they have a heavy emphasis on learning English and so she has access to other kids.Yet she comes home with homework which mainly is coloring in exercises, beggars belief.

On the subject of speaking English at home fortunately because my Thai is abysmal that’s all that occurs between my daughter and myself, her Thai mother speaks excellent English so they rotate between Thai, Lana and English often leaving me in the

dark.

I wonder if this is part of the problem with the low standard of English here, they learn at school but don’t or can’t practice at home ?

Finally on the subject of car safety I see kids leaving school standing up on the front seat of the car, I have suggested to the junior school principal that they educate both the parents and the kids on the dangers.

Unfortunately it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

A great article by the way.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree on the subject of homework, our three and a half year old daughter goes to a private school here in Northern Chiang Mai Province, mainly because they have a heavy emphasis on learning English and so she has access to other kids.Yet she comes home with homework which mainly is coloring in exercises, beggars belief.

On the subject of speaking English at home fortunately because my Thai is abysmal that’s all that occurs between my daughter and myself, her Thai mother speaks excellent English so they rotate between Thai, Lana and English often leaving me in the

dark.

I wonder if this is part of the problem with the low standard of English here, they learn at school but don’t or can’t practice at home ?

Finally on the subject of car safety I see kids leaving school standing up on the front seat of the car, I have suggested to the junior school principal that they educate both the parents and the kids on the dangers.

Unfortunately it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

A great article by the way.

Press on with educating about car safety. You may save a life one day, let that be your motivation. Do it yourself if the school won't help - how about online via the school's website? I make suggestions about my kids' school like that...gently!

Kids who live in a dual language background have many advantages. It's hilarious in my house!

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

It's brilliant!

Reminds me of the one about the potato who had a serious accident. He survived but was a vegetable for the rest of his life.

Rooster

Reminds me of the tragic accident on a local army base after a large popcorn spill.  A passing Jeep ran over two kernals.    Thanks for the memories.  Almost always enjoy reading your articles and learning a few things.  

Edited by Marpa47
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, George Aylesham said:

Rooster - I have long admired the courage (and indeed the humour) of your writings - but how have you managed to avoid sessions of 'attitude adjustment?'

I haven't.

These sessions have been provided down the years by my wives.

They are entitled "Being in the Dog House".

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

I always enjoy a well written stroll down memory lane by another old-timer.  I too studied at AUA, and taught there as well, in the late 70s but I seem to remember I started off at 50 baht an hour and got my visa from an army school.  Later, when a work permit was required they provided that too.  

I also inherited some Japanese housewives when a friend of mine moved to the Philippines but I taught them in my apartment.  My friend had been providing additional services to these lonely women but I found them a bit old and unattractive for my taste.

I only taught for a few years and never had any interest in education, other than my own, after that.  Even much later in life when my wife was getting her university degree, I provided little more than emotional support.  I wanted her to know she had done it all on her own.  When she graduated at the top of her class she was justifiably proud of her achievement.

Patpong was an excellent place to practice ones language skills in the old days while sipping on a 20 baht orange juice, even when the town shut down at midnight due to the lates coup or attempt.  During those early years I probably spoke Thai 90% of the time and watched double features on lazy afternoons at some pretty disgusting old theaters, which helped with listening and vocabulary.  I have zero interest, or ability, in translation but my spoken Thai is still pretty good, and I must agree that those of us with a better than average grasp of Thai are still in the minority here in Thailand.????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villagefarang said:

I always enjoy a well written stroll down memory lane by another old-timer.  I too studied at AUA, and taught there as well, in the late 70s but I seem to remember I started off at 50 baht an hour and got my visa from an army school.  Later, when a work permit was required they provided that too.  

I also inherited some Japanese housewives when a friend of mine moved to the Philippines but I taught them in my apartment.  My friend had been providing additional services to these lonely women but I found them a bit old and unattractive for my taste.

I only taught for a few years and never had any interest in education, other than my own, after that.  Even much later in life when my wife was getting her university degree, I provided little more than emotional support.  I wanted her to know she had done it all on her own.  When she graduated at the top of her class she was justifiably proud of her achievement.

Patpong was an excellent place to practice ones language skills in the old days while sipping on a 20 baht orange juice, even when the town shut down at midnight due to the lates coup or attempt.  During those early years I probably spoke Thai 90% of the time and watched double features on lazy afternoons at some pretty disgusting old theaters, which helped with listening and vocabulary.  I have zero interest, or ability, in translation but my spoken Thai is still pretty good, and I must agree that those of us with a better than average grasp of Thai are still in the minority here in Thailand.????

Nice.

I always stuck to Departures and Connections when teaching the Japanese! (popular EFL books at the time). Though I did teach two ladies to play Snooker.

I remember a Kloster being 25 baht at happy hour, 40 thereafter. I noticed a bottle of suds was 190 in regular hours at Soi Cowboy on a visit a few months ago.

Rooster

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

Nice.

I always stuck to Departures and Connections when teaching the Japanese! (popular EFL books at the time). Though I did teach two ladies to play Snooker.

I remember a Kloster being 25 baht at happy hour, 40 thereafter. I noticed a bottle of suds was 190 in regular hours at Soi Cowboy on a visit a few months ago.

Rooster

I had forgotten that you also taught at Brit-Am (perhaps I never knew). Wasn't the boss Mr. Manit and one of the Thai English teachers called Lamduan (I remember the name because it is more commonly a woman's name, but he was definitely a man)? I too worked there for a while - a bit obvious. And working at T.I.M.E. ended up with me serving time, or a at least a couple of weeks in the immigration detention center.

One of my favorite beers back in the day was Amarit. There was another one that was good, but I can't remember its name. Long since gone to the brewery in the sky - both my memory and the name of the beer. 

Great article that brings back memories. 

Great read this week. And in a nutshell yes as you succinctly put it ????‍♂️arenting does equal education. Good parenting exceeds it in many cases, anywhere not just Thailand. Not claiming so myself and both my kids were also educated privately and well at their schools on being good,  responsible citizens, looking out for others as well as themslves, not just reading, writing and arithmetic and more advanced academic subject as they grew up, encouraged at home as much as possible. Both my now adult children are mature, sane, sensible people with a great sense of humour despite their mother and I divorcing when they were still in their early teens.

Up here in the sticks caring parents let their kids ride unrestrained in front and back, especially the back of the pick up, along with assorted family members. Never seen a car seat for kids fitted, although they are on sale. This is only exceeded in lunacy by under tens happily riding motorcycles, often with younger kids on board. And of course the full family of  baby in arms, toddlers, teens, Mum and Dad on a motorbike is a common sight. Helmets? You gotta be kidding. Licenced? Nah.

But up here it's always been so. Very hard to change such ingrained habits unless plod get serious, very serious about this and compel offenders, children and parents, to attend road safety courses complete with gruesome videos of the consequences of these habits. But this won't happen. Last year I believe even the PM endorsed riding in the back of the pick up for Songran.

Keep up the good, entertaining and sometimes downright scary weekly musings and news review Rooster!

30 minutes ago, GarryP said:

I had forgotten that you also taught at Brit-Am (perhaps I never knew). Wasn't the boss Mr. Manit and one of the Thai English teachers called Lamduan (I remember the name because it is more commonly a woman's name, but he was definitely a man)? I too worked there for a while - a bit obvious. And working at T.I.M.E. ended up with me serving time, or a at least a couple of weeks in the immigration detention center.

One of my favorite beers back in the day was Amarit. There was another one that was good, but I can't remember its name. Long since gone to the brewery in the sky - both my memory and the name of the beer. 

Great article that brings back memories. 

Yes, Manit. I dont remember you being there. One of the ladies from my AUA course did some teaching there too after me. Can't remember her name......like you some of the details are a blur. But I'll never forget you lighting my fag through the bars of the detention center when me and John visited on Xmas day.

My first student at Brit-Am became a great friend. I had hopes of marrying her sister who was a sharpshooter on the SEA Thai team. Perhaps just as well I didn't.

Cheers,

Rooster

37 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Great read this week. And in a nutshell yes as you succinctly put it ????‍♂️arenting does equal education. Good parenting exceeds it in many cases, anywhere not just Thailand. Not claiming so myself and both my kids were also educated privately and well at their schools on being good,  responsible citizens, looking out for others as well as themslves, not just reading, writing and arithmetic and more advanced academic subject as they grew up, encouraged at home as much as possible. Both my now adult children are mature, sane, sensible people with a great sense of humour despite their mother and I divorcing when they were still in their early teens.

Up here in the sticks caring parents let their kids ride unrestrained in front and back, especially the back of the pick up, along with assorted family members. Never seen a car seat for kids fitted, although they are on sale. This is only exceeded in lunacy by under tens happily riding motorcycles, often with younger kids on board. And of course the full family of  baby in arms, toddlers, teens, Mum and Dad on a motorbike is a common sight. Helmets? You gotta be kidding. Licenced? Nah.

But up here it's always been so. Very hard to change such ingrained habits unless plod get serious, very serious about this and compel offenders, children and parents, to attend road safety courses complete with gruesome videos of the consequences of these habits. But this won't happen. Last year I believe even the PM endorsed riding in the back of the pick up for Songran.

Keep up the good, entertaining and sometimes downright scary weekly musings and news review Rooster!

Pertinent observations.

Thanks for reading.

Rooster

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 2:01 PM, Samui Bodoh said:

Interesting read... I have virtually given up posting on the Forum for various reasons, but I just can't resist the topic of Education.

I am of two minds regarding the issue of homework, but absolutely agree on the idea that parents need to be much more involved than they currently are in their children's education. And, that is something that is true in Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey, Togo, Trinidad and all points in between. 

However, I do not see the issue of homework as the main problem in Thailand, rather I see it as the Ministry of Education. In short, if Thailand is ever going to progress out of its current state and into something better, the Ministry of Education needs to be reformed with both a Chain Saw and a Flame-Thrower.

A Chain Saw and a Flame-Thrower? 

Yes, a Chain Saw and a Flame-Thrower.

Simply put, the Thai Education system is awful (we all know that), and the first step to reform it requires a Chain Saw and a Flame-Thrower to be used at the Ministry's Head Office. Of course, I speak figuratively, but the Minister should enter the building where the leadership team is housed and fire every single person who works there. Every single one of them. In a nutshell, the Thai Education system is beyond tweaking at the edges and needs to be re-done from top to bottom, and the people who work there now either caused the problem and/or were mentored by the people who caused the problem; they can not fix it. So, out the door. Today. With either sawed off or singed clothing...

Next, enter the Provincial Office(s) of Education and fire the top ten people. Today. With a (figurative) Chain Saw and/or Flame-Thrower. Again, in a nut shell, these people have not done their jobs and need to go. Today. With either sawed off or singed clothing...

At the school level, Principals/Head Masters need to be given responsibility for the output of their school (as well as the authority to make changes), and those in the bottom 10% of annual, national, performance reviews get the Chain Saw and Flame-Thrower treatment and tossed out with either sawed off or singed clothing. Rinse and repeat for several years, then evaluate. 

Yes, this is a radical plan. That said, massive, long-standing, deeply entrenched, nation-threatening problems call for radical solutions.

A Chain Saw and a Flame-Thrower.

Oh, and an Audit. By people holding a Chain Saw and/or Flame-Thrower. Or both.

Lock and Load, Baby!

I would think that all of these people just cannot do their job, because that would mean having to change something, and this something has been approved by someone in the hierarchy who has gained authority and power, not necessarily knowledge.

CHANGING anything in Thailand means that someone in a position of authority will 'LOSE FACE'.

No way.

The culture has to change before any other changes could ever even be considered...

18 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Press on with educating about car safety. You may save a life one day, let that be your motivation. Do it yourself if the school won't help - how about online via the school's website?

This brings to mind an idea I had only months after coming to the Kingdom and grasping, in graphic detail, the true state of driver education here. 

A video style driving game  with situations that present themselves every single day, or several times an hours. Wide U turns by large trucks, overtaking on the left, motorcycles magically appearing from between divided highways, vehicles without lights, and all the other lethal situations peculiar to this country. 

If nothing else this could serve as a training tool for people planning a visit here. Maybe used in Thai schools, maybe required instead of/in addition to the horrifying videos now required? Posted on the school's website ????

I am deadly serious! 

Any game developers out there looking for the next 'killer' app?