Why are modern movies so bad?

BritManToo

I watched 1 eyed jacks 2 nights ago, brando flick and 2 weeks ago lonely are the brave, the last britt flick i lemember as a classic was The duelists by riddley scott ... the yanks have trashed the industry for the last few decades with bubble gum poppers. but gangs of new york got my attention.

1 hour ago, Davo369 said:

Yeah very good. They have got a new series out now on Netflix 

I don't think the new series ---Season 5--- starts until the 23 Feb, and its not released on Netflix first---just 1 a week--I could be wrong Davo369, & hope I am , big  fan of it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3032476/episodes?year=2020&ref_=tt_eps_yr_2020

6 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

I am thinking the same about music. After the 90s not so much good music. Only Hip Hop and Techno noise. On the other side I like many movies from after 2000.

Can't agree,

Loads of good music out there, although hardly any of it is English language.

I think one of the problems is you need millions of dollars, and hundreds of people to make a movie, so it's restricted to the rich and corporations to decide what gets made, but one person with a guitar can make and distribute a song.

Edited by BritManToo

Still lots of great movies! Did you see Parasite this year?

but... prestige TV is taking some of the talent. Many of the best actors, writers, directors making TV some of the time. You might argue that movies are worse but TV is much much better. Something like the first season of true detective was like an 8 hour movie. HBO (especially) and others have changed the game.

51 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't think the new series ---Season 5--- starts until the 23 Feb, and its not released on Netflix first---just 1 a week--I could be wrong Davo369, & hope I am , big  fan of it.

Sorry sanuk your right, just looked on Netflix. I thought i see on the adds new series. I watched 1 to 4. Fantastic. Season 5 is coming out 24th Thailand time

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't agree,

I think one of the problems is you need millions of dollars, and hundreds of people to make a movie, so it's restricted to the rich and corporations to decide what gets made, but one person with a guitar can make and distribute a song.

Can´t agree too ????
There are many good and not expensive movies if you don´t compare chart breaker and blockbuster. 
But also some blockbuster impressed me, by example the Batman movies directed from Nolan. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't agree,

Check out the original (1992) ‘El Mariachi’ by Roberto Rodriguez.  Pretty damn good considering the whole budget was @ $7,000 and was filmed in 2 weeks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't agree,

The movie Clerks costed about $27,000. Better than most $300m films.

What good music is there?

Edited by UbonThani
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

The movie Clerks costed about $27,000. Better than most $300m films.

What good music is there?

Off topic, but I love Sikh music which came to my attention in the movie "Bend it like Beckham". 

That movie started her career, but she ended up in the awful "King Arthur".

• Like 2

Most movies are now minority/PC/alphabet propaganda. They've taken over the media and the result in annoying <deleted> being spewed out by the studios. Storylines are poor, main thing is you can cram in as many "actors" of whatever agende du jour is.

Koreans produce some movies that are still ok, especially the revenge flicks.

21 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

Go to the movies and watch 1917, excellent movie.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood sounds like a good movie. I really like Tarantino movies.

Jumanji is good for comedy.

Of course its all down to personal taste.

It looks as though you have some good ones on your hard drive.

I have only just started going to the movies again on my own. You don’t feel like such a dirty old man as you would in OZ and the UK!

What's the point in going to movies on your own? There are loads and loads of old movies and newer ones you can get on your computer.

20 hours ago, UbonThani said:

They are even worse.

No, I think tv series are the best though I have not seen any really modern ones yet, two that spring to mind

were LA Law, and North and South. Do you get any tv series's as good as them now?

20 hours ago, Victornoir said:

Much of the talent has migrated to serie.
Games of Thrones and Breaking Bad to quote the best known but the Scandinavians for example have specilated in a certain sober style relatively new on our screens.
Bron, Borgen, Those who Kill, Real Humans...
In addition, we appreciate the snowy worlds when living in the Tropics.
In addition, the endless RawHide with Eric Flemming and youngster Clint Easwood.

Rawhide.png

Yes I liked Rawhide, saw a re run of it years ago, at the moment I am watching Wagon Train, now at series 5, Flint McCulloch, Charlie Wooster and Bill Hawks are still there.