Forced to put 400,000 into Thai bank acct. for Marriage Visa

Wanted to share my recent experience at the Buriram IMO when obtaining my Non-Immigrant O based upon Marriage. After writing this, I hope I have made this experience clear enough to understand.

To start with... some background information.

I travel in and out of the kingdom frequently for work on a multi-entry Non-O Marriage extension. 

I had a previous Marriage extension Non-Immigrant O multiple entry that expired January 21 2020 because I was extended at work and could not get back in time to renew. This was originally obtained by U.S. income letter affidavit back in January 2019.

I am now obtaining my Non-Immigrant O again from scratch by the 30 day exemption stamp to a Non-O 90 day, to a Non-O one year Marriage.

I arrived in the Kingdom this month February 9th and leave the Kingdom again on March 3rd for work and on February 20th I arrived to the Buriram IMO to inquire what documents I would need to obtain the Non-Immigrant O based upon marriage by the monthly income 40,000 baht method (I have had a Bangkok Bank account for more than 12 months with regular monthly deposits). All the same documents required last time were listed by a pre-printed document handed to my Thai wife (see attached partial photo). I noticed immediately that there were only two methods listed to obtain the Marriage extension of stay. It stated 400,000 baht in the bank prior to application or an embassy letter showing proof of income (attached photo of document only in Thai unfortunately, 10.1 and 10.2 outline the two options). I asked the IO about the 40,000 monthly income method ( I described the method that is being used by other Farang in all of Thailand)? He stated not here in Buriram. I pushed the ability to do it as it is allowed in current Thai immigration law. He stated, yes he can submit but no guarantee it will be approved. He then reminded me that my application would need 15 days to process and that I am already 12 days into my 30 day exemption stamp, giving me just 3 days to get the full application in for processing or "cannot do" without paying for an extension of 30 or 60 days. So today February 20th is a Thursday, I have tomorrow a Friday to get the full application in to avoid purchasing an extension.  I took the information sheet and left the office to prepare documents. 

That night my wife and I put together our:
Updated Marriage certificate

3 photos (one outside of us together, one inside the house together, one inside the bedroom together)

Our hand drawn map

A copy of my passport

Copies of my wife's Thai I.D. and House book

The next morning we went to the bank to obtain a bank letter, a 12 month statement and an updated bank book. The bank teller tells me cannot give me a 12 month statement today. He can only give me a 6 month, that a 12 month takes 4 days to process ( I just about lost my cool). Now because I only have three days to get this application done, to leave 15 days left for the apparent needed processing of the 90 day Non-O, and the fact that the IO is already telling me my application may be denied, this essentially forces me to deposit 400,000 baht to be able to get this application done before I leave again out of the Kingdom for work at the first week of March (when I leave again for a month of work abroad). I really want to get this done before I leave again.

I arrive to the IO and it is very quiet... only one person ahead of me in the queue. What a relief. He processes my entire application, gives me a date for obtaining the Non-Immigrant O 90 day on March 7th. I ask him, because I am leaving the Kingdom again for work on March 3rd, is that ok for leaving before the processing of the Non-Immigrant O 90 day, as I am required to leave out of the kingdom with the non-O 90 day and then return to process the full one year? He says, oh yes you cannot leave. So I said, well I must leave for work that is my booked ticket already by my company. He goes into the back office and emerges with a solution for me. Somehow, if I purchase a 30 day extension to my 30 day exemption stamp that somehow solves the problem of not having a fully processed 90 day O before I leave. So alas, in the end I had to pay for another 30 day extension of my 30 day exemption stamp to allow enough time to process the 90 day non-immigrant O. Which required the entire application process and stamps in my passport to be re-done. Total time for day two was 4 hours. Final points. I somehow paid 8000.00 baht with reciepts showing only 4900 baht for processing fees (I only tallied up the receipts after I left the office). So did I get scammed for an additional 3100.00 baht? Final point, I confirmed that I can take the 400,000 baht anytime I want, but just need to have the 400,000 back in the account 2 months prior to my next extension renewal. That about sums it up... I will answer any questions or clarifications in the comments that ensue. 

1582362770638.jpg

• Like 1

will you be back in Thailand before the 30 day extension runs out and did you get a reentry permit which will be dated to the same day as the 30 day extension end date, 

re fees you should have paid 2000 thb for the non imm 'O' visa, 1,900 thb for the extension and 1,000 thb for a single entry re-entry permit total 4,900 baht 

you will have to apply for the yearly extension in the last 30 days of the 90 day that will be given by the non imm 'O' visa, that extension will be another 1,900 thb

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

will you be back in Thailand before the 30 day extension runs out and did you get a reentry permit which will be dated to the same day as the 30 day extension end date, 

re fees you should have paid 2000 thb for the non imm 'O' visa, 1,900 thb for the extension and 1,000 thb for a single entry re-entry permit total 4,900 baht 

you will have to apply for the yearly extension in the last 30 days of the 90 day that will be given by the non imm 'O' visa, that extension will be another 1,900 thb

Yes (I am back March 31st, Yes, and yes have three receipts totaling 4900... seems I was gouged an extra 3000.00? Or maybe I pre-paid for the next step of processing for the full year? (I am being sarcastic), I am pretty sure I got taken for an extra 3000.00. I have from March 31, until April 19th when I will leave again.

5 minutes ago, steve187 said:

He should have his non immigrant visa and 90 day entry stamps before he leaves on the March 3rd. He would get a re-entry permit for that permit to stay.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He should have his non immigrant visa and 90 day entry stamps before he leaves on the March 3rd. He would get a re-entry permit for that permit to stay.

he has to go back on the 7th march for the non  O, so not sure how that will work if he is out the country from the 3rd til the 31st March, so i assume he will get the non 'O' visa after 31st and obtain another re-entry permit maybe a multi entry to fit in with work until he can apply for a yearly extension

4 minutes ago, steve187 said:

he has to go back on the 7th march for the non  O, so not sure how that will work if he is out the country from the 3rd til the 31st March, so i assume he will get the non 'O' visa after 31st and obtain another re-entry permit maybe a multi entry to fit in with work until he can apply for a yearly extension

It may be approved earlier than 15 days. He should wait to see if is approved before getting the re-entry permit for the 30 day extension.

Immigration may be able to contact division 4 to have it expedited.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Anyway, a confusing post as you applied for an 'Extension' and not a 'VISA'.

Read the OP again. 

2 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I am now obtaining my Non-Immigrant O again from scratch by the 30 day exemption stamp to a Non-O 90 day, to a Non-O one year Marriage.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

It may be approved earlier than 15 days. He should wait to see if is approved before getting the re-entry permit for the 30 day extension.

Immigration may be able to contact division 4 to have it expedited.

I'm going to stop in on Monday March 2nd before I go back to BKK and fly out and inquire if the 90 day O is processed yet. Any specific questions you recommend I should ask?

8 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I'm going to stop in on Monday March 2nd before I go back to BKK and fly out and inquire if the 90 day O is processed yet. Any specific questions you recommend I should ask?

Ask if you application has been approved yet.

I suggest you ask them about it on the 28th instead of the 2nd. If it is approved be sure you get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry from it.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Ask if you application has been approved yet.

I suggest you ask them about it on the 28th instead of the 2nd. If it is approved be sure you get a re-entry permit for the 90 day entry from it.

I will do that. What if he says not approved yet. I am not clear how this IO is processing this. Is it your understanding that I must have the 90 day before I leave? He clearly seemed to understand this at the time... I just don't know what to ask to get a clarification how this is all going to proceed.

15 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I will do that. What if he says not approved yet. I am not clear how this IO is processing this. Is it your understanding that I must have the 90 day before I leave? He clearly seemed to understand this at the time... I just don't know what to ask to get a clarification how this is all going to proceed.

Explain to them you will be leaving on 3rd. They could contact division 4 to find out if it is approved or not if they have not received it yet.

If not best to get a re-entry permit to keep the visa exempt entry and the extension of it valid when your return. Getting a new visa exempt entry when you return could void out your visa application.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Explain to them you will be leaving on 3rd. They could contact division 4 to find out if it is approved or not if they have not received it yet.

If not best to get a re-entry permit to keep the visa exempt entry and the extension of it valid when your return. Getting a new visa exempt entry when you return could void out your visa application.

Ok. I was already  given a re-entry permit see attached. So maybe the strategy on the IO's part is to continue the process when I get back. I will try to clarify.

IMG_20200223_171618.jpg

6 minutes ago, Tounge Thaied said:

So maybe the strategy on the IO's part is to continue the process when I get back. I will try to clarify.

That seems to be what they expect you to do.

Odd though that they stamped it as if you already had a non immigrant visa entry. I would of expected it to say tourist or VE.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That seems to be what they expect you to do.

Odd though that they stamped it as if you already had a non immigrant visa entry. I would of expected it to say tourist or VE.

He was quick to point out that his was not a Non-Immigrant O, but merely a Non-Immigrant... something I don't know what. You should have seen the repetoire of rubber stamps on this guy's desk... it was endless. 

48 minutes ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

First off; Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

In your list of documents, you listed an “Updated Marriage certificate”. What is an “Updated” marriage certificate? Won’t they accept your original marriage certificate?

Thanks

I think what he is referring to is a letter from the Amphur confirming that the marriage is still in existence.

It has been known for people to get a new marriage based visa when they are actually divorced.......... can't think who would do that though ????.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Can't wait until they simplify the process by ending this archaic system that they have in place, but then again by the time they do, I will either be dead or returned back to my former country.

I'm a single person over 50yo.I obtain a none 0 ME visa from

Penang Consulate. Put in one day collect next day.

6 hours ago, srowndedbyh2o said:

First off; Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

In your list of documents, you listed an “Updated Marriage certificate”. What is an “Updated” marriage certificate? Won’t they accept your original marriage certificate?

Thanks

UbonJoe really knows his stuff... he nailed it. I had to make a trip over to the Buriram Ampure (however you spell that) to simply get a printout proofing I am still married. 

"That would of been a print out of a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry obtained at an Amphoe. It is to prove you are still married. If divorced it would not be available for them to print out."

•  
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MagnumForce said:

If somebody got married in early January 2020, and they want to apply for a Non-Imm 'O' visa based on marriage at a neighbouring Thai Consulate in the next two weeks would they need to get an updated Kor Ror 2, or would the one issued in January 2020 be acceptable?

Normally they do not ask for a Kor Ror 2 and if they do it does not have to be up to date. Only immigration wants that to apply for a one year extension.

If your wife changed her name to yours they might want a name change certificate at Savannakhet.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Normally they do not ask for a Kor Ror 2 and if they do it does not have to be up to date. Only immigration wants that to apply for a one year extension.

If your wife changed her name to yours they might want a name change certificate at Savannakhet.

That's good news, Ubonjoe. I had planned on bringing the original Kor Ror 2 and 3, as well as copies. Will still do that, just in case. Fortunately, she hasn't changed her name yet.

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I just went through the same process at CW... Applied for my 90-day non-O in advance of my 1-year extension.  They requested the Kor Ror 2, in fact sent us back to the Amphur to get it, requiring a 2nd trip to Immigration the next day with papers in hand.  Also along with all the photos of wife, me & family in the home (her parent's house), they also requested pix of wife & me with our daughter, something I've never heard before. 

There are 3 possible outcomes of the Kor Ror 2, all of which are acceptable -- At least to the IO we met on this particular day in this particular office...

1) We go to the amphur where we got married, they dig up the original document, and fill out the immigration form so stating. 

2)  We go to the amphur where we got married, they for the original document, cannot find it, and so state on the immigration form.  This is what happened to us.

3) We go to a different amphur, they fill out the form saying in essence "We cannot find the original document because the couple did not get married here."  This would be handy if you got married in a different part of the country.

As stated, our IO said any of these 3 outcomes would be acceptable.  

Update: I went back to the IO here in Buriram. He confirmed that he added a 30 day extension onto my current exemption stamp to give me time to come back and complete my conversion from an exemption stamp, to a non-immigrant O 90 day, to a full Non-O one year based upon marriage. I will leave March 3rd and return on March 31. I will go to my Buriram IO in the first week of April and he will stamp me with a 90 day Non-Immigrant O. I will then make a border run and return to the IO and he will then process the full one year Non-Immigrant O based upon marriage.  

10 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I will go to my Buriram IO in the first week of April and he will stamp me with a 90 day Non-Immigrant O. I will then make a border run and return to the IO and he will then process the full one year Non-Immigrant O based upon marriage.  

That does not sound correct. If you receive a Non-Imm-O in country at Buriram, I would expect it to be stamped as 'Used' already and at the same time receive a 90 day permit to stay. There should not be a need to do a border run. 

A one year extension, based on marriage, could be done in the last month of this 90 days. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Tounge Thaied said:

I will go to my Buriram IO in the first week of April and he will stamp me with a 90 day Non-Immigrant O. I will then make a border run and return to the IO and he will then process the full one year Non-Immigrant O based upon marriage.  

You will not need to leave the country after your non immigrant visa is stamped in your passport. They will change your permit to stay from the re-entry permit to a 90 day permit to stay and stamp your visa used.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You will not need to leave the country after your non immigrant visa is stamped in your passport. They will change your permit to stay from the re-entry permit to a 90 day permit to stay and stamp your visa used.

So just so I understand you correctly... it is your belief that when I get back March 31 and go back to the IO the first week of April, he can stamp my 90 day at that time, I won't need to leave the Kingdom again? They can then convert to the full one year marriage extension without leaving again? Because I asked this specific question and he seemed to confirm that I would need to leave again.