Woman to face court over $9m money laundering syndicate targeting Thai-Australians

steven100

A 27-year-old Thai woman was arrested and taken to Auburn Police Station where she was charged with three counts of dishonestly obtaining financial advantage.

Police will allege in court the woman claimed to be a registered remitter and used social media to advertise inflated rates for exchanging money.

The woman was refused bail and will appear at Parramatta Bail Court today.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydney-woman-charged-9-million-dollar-money-laundering-syndicate-targeting-thaiaustralians/93deaa9a-e7a4-4c00-9f81-adb62efcad63

A woman will face court today charged over an alleged $9 million-dollar fraud and money laundering syndicate targeting the Thai-Australian community across NSW.

After an 18-month investigation into fraud and money laundering, detectives from the State Crime Command's Financial Crimes Squad searched a home and a unit in South Strathfield, in Sydney's inner west, yesterday morning.

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

<deleted> parasite!

Okay, I give up...  What's a "registered remitter"?  Because I suspect that not being one is a way for Thai people to bypass the real leeches, like banks and the tax office, in order to send money back home to their family.  I had a few friends who worked in Aus while studying, and they found themselves with extra cash they needed to send home- often cash that was paid under the table.

I'm not seeing where she cheated her countrymen, as much as she made it possible for them to send money outside the legally sanctioned system. 

I doubt her rates were really inflated, all in.  Thais are masters of getting the best deals.  Somehow, she was either saving them money, or facilitating something they couldn't do cheaper within the system- if at all.  But the banksters and their political minions don't like that.

Of course, there's more to the story, and I'm wide open to being proven wrong...

Edited by impulse