Nationwide UK

48 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Last time I asked they said they didn't support non-UK numbers.

Also during my conversations with them this is not very likely to change.

O/P always have a spare card reader available and I strongly recommend their mobile app. This is IMO the best way to conduct on line banking with NBS. Easy to use and very secure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, karibu said:

Yes you need a UK number.  I have one phone with  Thai  SIM and one with UK SIM  

Using Nationwide  App with code is easy but you will need 2 phones

Why do you need 2 phones when using the mobile app?

Good question

That all depends  if you are permanent resident and what you use your mobile for.

If you have Wi-Fi in your home then you can manage with one phone.

You need Wi-Fi to use the app and your phone needs to have a UK SIM to receive message from the bank. 

And as long as your happy been restricted to using your mobile

At home or  possibly incurring expensive roaming charges. It's OK. 

Some people don't have Wi-Fi at home so use a monthly packgage

You can't get a Thai package on a UK  number. So it all depends on you intervidual needs.

I have many Thai friends if I leave the Wi-Fi area and my friends ring me or panda,Tops, Uber, driver etc call me on a UK number it would be very expensive   for both party's 

So thats why  I Have 2 mobiles

As said above if you happy with the restrictions then one UK mobile will work for banking.

It works on my Thai phone. You have to login to Nationwide and add your international Thai number there. Banks are tightening security due to hackers. Sending a pin number to confirm it really is you is one of their new ideas.

Edited by DaRoadrunner
  • Confused 1

29 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

It works on my Thai phone. You have to login to Nationwide and add your international Thai number there. Banks are tightening security due to hackers. Sending a pin number to confirm it really is you is one of their new ideas.

Others who have posted have said you must use a UK mobile number. Am I right in saying that you use a Thai number. Who is right.

8 hours ago, lelapin said:

If I cannot use a Thai mobile number why have they allowed me to set one up via my laptop on my Account Details. A number starting 0066

Does it actually work to log on to your account?

I tried 0066.... in the past and it accepted it, but then it changed all by itself to something incomprehensible.

52 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Does it actually work to log on to your account?

I tried 0066.... in the past and it accepted it, but then it changed all by itself to something incomprehensible.

The same with me. Changed automatically to 6666 so I sent them a message and they changed it to 0066 for me. I haven't tried logging in with it yet in case I have a problem with it and they block my account. I have used my card reader. This is why I have made this post to see if anyone had been successful logging in using a 0066 number.

Edited by lelapin

10 hours ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Are you quite sure about that? NBS have made it very clear that they can only send OTPs to a UK registered mobile number.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1

I would like to suggest  you go into online banking with you card reader then click on secure message.

Write your question send it and they will reply with an answer within 48 hours.

Or down load  the app follow the instructions  and see if it allows you to use an international number if it does start using.????

2 hours ago, karibu said:

I would like to suggest  you go into online banking with you card reader then click on secure message.

Write your question send it and they will reply with an answer within 48 hours.

Or down load  the app follow the instructions  and see if it allows you to use an international number if it does start using.????

The app does not require an OTP as it has two tier security built in. I have already discussed this aspect with NBS and they assured me that this will not change.

After reviewing the coming changes when they were announced some months ago. I decided that as long as I have a debit card, a card reader (I always keep a spare reader just in case) and the mobile app I needn't worry about receiving OTPs. I can do everything I need to with the tools to hand.

One other aspect came to light and that was that 'Verify by Visa' has also switched to using OTPs and they too can only go to a UK number. That could cause some issues, but luckily my Krungsri debit card can now be used on line, so I have an alternative means of payment.

My conclusion was, and still is, don't worry about it.

I had to send them a secure message to accept my Thai number, but when I tried using it to log into to my internet account it failed.

Fortunately I was still able to log in using "memorable data" (option no longer available), but it wouldn't let me change my registered number to my son's UK mobile without the card reader, and since my ATM card had recently expired I could not even do that. 

So another secure message request explaining the situation and they manually updated my registered number to my son's.

At lest now I can log on and make payments (although only to existing payees) provided my son is awake and can send me the OTP via FB messenger.  Not really that much of a problem as I make only occasional payments to my Transferwise "borderless" account, and can then convert to THB and send to my Thai bank as necessary.

I just need to be able to fund my TW-BL Acct direct from my various investment income sources, and then I can bypass NWBS totally.