BANGKOK
Ian3005

Building costs in Thailand - Rural area

I would like to build a house in rural Thailand where my wife and I already have the land prepared but I don't know if they can build to western standards. The land will be in my wife's name but I want the house registered in my name and my sons name as you never know what lies ahead in the future.

I have looked at a builder BanRak and the cost per m2 is between 14-17,000/m2. I'm hesitant to approach a builder as a foreigner as I'm sure the price increases as soon as they see supposedly cashed up foreigners. 

2 minutes ago, petermik said:

https://<URL Automatically Removed>/construction-in-thailand/

I found this website invaluable when I had a house built here :thumbsup:

14k to 17k is about right, but this can easily double (or more) once you have settled in with western style standards. Getting clean water that didn't destroy my appliances set me back hundred's of thousands, I am still thinking about a backup generator, getting and keeping green surroundings, etc, etc. Anyway look at a nice condo in Penang before you move to rural xenophobia.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

These are the rules of thumb that I know of (about three years old):

15k per square metre unfinished.

25K per square metre finished to Thai standards

45k to Western standards

55k to top end standard.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

In Bangkok or Phuket perhaps, BUT CERTAINLY NOT in rural Thailand. Have you actually had a house built?

Firstly bear in mind that 'per square metre' prices are relevant for labour only. For materials you must get a BOQ that details everything else and with this YOU can decide what quality you want. It is not difficult to find the real prices of materials.

That said, as a loose rule of thumb as you start to budget, 10-12K per sq.m will get you a completed house without expensive fittings: that's materials and labour. From there it is up to you. You want double layer of Qcon bricks or cheap concrete bricks for example? A tin roof or CPAC tiles or fancy tiles on your roof. Bog standard white porcelain tiled floors or something more imaginative? A Thai kitchen or a fully fitted Western kitchen? And so on.

Don't accept any contractor who quotes you on just a per sq.m basis. You'll be ripped off.

Good luck.

We've built two, one outside Sukhothai and one in Chiang Mai, 2007 and 2013 respectively. The prices I've posted are approx. all inclusive finished prices. Whether you like it or not any builder will revert to square metres for an approximation of his quote. On the first house we supplied materials and the builder supplied labour, the costs came out at around 12k per sq metre for an 86 square metre raised house using CPAC, finished to Thai standards. Everyone needs a starting point for these things which is why I think the unfinished price is the important one. There's been loads of these threads on here over the years, maybe worth doing a search to see what has been said previously, it's a well worn topic that goes back to 2007 at least.

Yep, that site says 15k/20k per square, 2015, unfinished or basic, that's about right I reckon.

Last time I asked it came to around 6-8K baht per m2 in the north of Thailand. Guess it really depends on what you want.

• Like 1

are there any pre fab houses available?  In the USA there are some pretty well made units, assembled indoors in a factory environment, all interfaces, plumbing and electrical installed and pre built.  All you need to do is prepare the foundation per the prints, hook up the infrastructure, septic/sewer, water and electrical after you deliver the house.