Is there a way for US company to start business in Thailand and own land and property?

Hi,

We run a business in US and seeing some opportunities to expand to Thailand. However, for our business model we prefer to own a land and building for the operation. I understood that at least 50% or more of shareholders must be Thai. I'm a Thai citizen and US citizen. My husband is US citizen. Our son is US citizen. Is there some way we could buy land and building for the business purpose? I'm very new to this information and start researching :)

Thank you,

AJ

if you are a thai citizen you can easily get it done. You can also google search about the "treat of amity" Thailand has w the US. As far as I know you are allowed to buy (as a foreigner) if you run a business in the premises. Since you are also Thai this should not be an issue at all.

you could get more information at the commercial department of a thai embassy in the US.

Edited by 3421abc
  • Like 1

The OP has several options as either US citizen or Thai citizen, but the recommended option would be to set up a company as a Thai citizen. The process is rather simple for Thais. The son is also Thai due to his mother being Thai so he can establish his Thai citizenship and be included in the company. The US citizen option is a Treaty of Amity company, but this is expensive and difficult to arrange.

• Like 1

Amity companies are forbidden to own land. It could constitute the lions share of the 49% foreign holding though and yourself the 51% required Thai contingent of  Thai company. Alternatively you can buy in your own name and lease to an Amity company. There are a few options and it helps that you are Thai and can hold majority shares yourself. 

• Like 2

If I set up under Thai company, I own 51 %, my husband and son own 49 %. What happened if something happened to me and left only my son and husband? Do we require to liquidate or dissolve the company and asset or need to find new Thai investor?  Purpose, we would like to keep the company only in the family.

Thank you,

AJ

17 minutes ago, AMichigan said:

If I set up under Thai company, I own 51 %, my husband and son own 49 %. What happened if something happened to me and left only my son and husband? Do we require to liquidate or dissolve the company and asset or need to find new Thai investor?  Purpose, we would like to keep the company only in the family.

Thank you,

AJ

Are you your son's biological mother? If yes, then he is also Thai, so he could also hold the 51% part.

Edited by jackdd