A Real Pizza In Bangkok...

torito

By accident I ended on a small pizza restaurant near the Emporium. Unexpectedly I ate there one of the best pizza I have ever tasted...and in Bangkok (note that I have lived in Melbourne, Milan and Bangkok...so I think I have an idea about good and bad pizza).

A week later I come back to check whether it was only an accident; but it was not.

I had the chance to talk with the american owner and among others things he mentioned to me that Thais simply do not like real pizza, reason why it is so hard to keep a western kitchen with no "compromises".

The restaurant is named Bangkok Pizza (the name is a little bit scary I Think) and it is in Sukhumvit 26/1, a small soi near the BTS station. They also deliver. It worth the try.

(I promised to the owner that I would recommend his pizza...and there you are :o )

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By accident I ended on a small pizza restaurant near the Emporium. Unexpectedly I ate there one of the best pizza I have ever tasted...and in Bangkok (note that I have lived in Melbourne, Milan and Bangkok...so I think I have an idea about good and bad pizza).

A week later I come back to check whether it was only an accident; but it was not.

I had the chance to talk with the american owner and among others things he mentioned to me that Thais simply do not like real pizza, reason why it is so hard to keep a western kitchen with no "compromises".

The restaurant is named Bangkok Pizza (the name is a little bit scary I Think) and it is in Sukhumvit 26/1, a small soi near the BTS station. They also deliver. It worth the try.

(I promised to the owner that I would recommend his pizza...and there you are :o )

i've been fiending a good slice of pizza for a while now...i think i'll give this place a try.

every pizza i've tried so far in bangkok used mayonaise as a topping! YUCK

i've been fiending a good slice of pizza for a while now...i think i'll give this place a try.

every pizza i've tried so far in bangkok used mayonaise as a topping! YUCK

I would like to hear what you think...because I was surprised.....cheers

If it's owned by an American then i very much doubt it is a 'real' pizza. I always find it funny when Americans say that pizza is an american dish. :D

Edited by ZukiSuzuki

Real New York pizzas are often said to be the world's best. :o

And now I've to repair my laptop after having sprayed my whole whisky on the keyboard, thank you very much. :D

The first pizzeria in the United States was opened in 1905 by Gennaro Lombardi, at Lombardi's in Little Italy, Manhattan.

-O

And ? What's the point ? Does it mean because the first pizzeria in USA was opened in 1905 that they are the world's best ?

American food allways reminds me a kind of... crap as far as can go back in my memory.

Thanks for the Bangkok pizza tip. I will definitely check out the place when next in Bangkok as I really enjoy a good pizza. I think pizza is really an individual taste thing as my friends and I many times disagree on whether a pizza is good or bad. I personally like crisp thin crust and definitely do not like deep dish pizzas. BTW Chicago is considered to be the place that 'deep dish pizza' was invented. I have been to really great pizza places in New York (by my taste standards) and also some bad ones. In my travels, IMHO I do not think any city has a monopoly on good pizza.

By accident I ended on a small pizza restaurant near the Emporium.

The restaurant is named Bangkok Pizza ... and it is in Sukhumvit 26/1, a small soi near the BTS station. They also deliver.

...I've ordered from Bangkok Pizza three times in the past month, since I was told about it by a Thai friend who brought me one of their menus.

Delicious pizzas every time.

...The location is Sukhumvit 24/1 -- NOT 26/1, but actually closer to 26 than to 24.

It is a very tiny soi -- between 24 and 26 -- on the Emporium side of Sukhumvit.

Very close to the BTS sky train Phrom-Pong station.

The little soi is filled with massage parlors catering to Japanese and Koreans, so one might feel a little out of place walking in there, but nothing serious.

...My approach was to go in to Bangkok Pizza, give them my order, and explain I was going for a foot massage for one hour.

Then I went to "Rynda Massage Shop", two doors further down the soi, and enjoyed the foot massage while the pizzas were cooking.

Each time, the waitress brought the pizzas to me just as the foot massage was finishing.

Very nice.

...My favourites (I've got a menu right here on my desk):

29. Hawaiian with ham and pineapple

30. Meat Lover

37. Brocolli, garlic & ricotta cheese

...I learned that the 12" pizzas turn out better than the little 7" size.

The second time I ordered two small ones, the owner suggested half-and-half on a 12", for less money.

The crust was more crisp and the ratio of ingredients-to-crust was higher, so, from now on, I will get one 12", not two 7".

...You could eat there, plenty of tables and clean, but it doesn't appeal to me: red walls and Thai-style rock music are not inviting.

Better for take-away and for delivery.

...No web site that I could find, and I won't give phone numbers, because I don't want my comments to seem like advertising.

You are welcome to send me a private message or email and I'll reply with the phone numbers.

One nice idea: they have one number to call for English, a different number to call for Thai.

...A similar style of pizza is available at Little Italy restaurant, on the corner of Sukhumvit Soi 23, near Cowboy.

I like the taste of both equally well: both use fresh dough and are generous with the toppings.

Little Italy offers pizza-by-the slice, but I didn't see any slices on offer at Bangkok Pizza.

Maybe they do at lunch time; I don't know.

...Both places are open very late:

Bangkok Pizza until 2:00 AM - with delivery until then, also.

Little Italy's sign says they are open all thru the night, but I know anything about delivery service from there.

We've had quite a few "Pizza in Bangkok" threads here over the years. with lots of good recommendations. (interestingly enough these threads often have many posts denigrating "American-style" pizza rather than focusing on finding, and posting experiences about, good pizza places here). I don't recall hearing about this place, Bangkok Pizza, but welcome the recommendation(s) and look forward to trying it out.

I continue to enjoy Ronny's, Spicchio, Basilico, Zanotti (delivery via S&P) for what I consider Italian-American style pizzas. Many of the Italian restaurants (e.g. Pomodoro, Limoncello) here make excellent true Italian-style (appetizer/starter) pizza.

<There are plenty of excellent pizza places in the U.S.A. Many of the best are one store locations in major metropolitan areas, are family owned and operated, have been in business for a long time and were started by Italian immigrants. Like many things American, immigrants brought traditions and recipes and changed, modified and adapted them. I'm partial to Pizzeria Regina and Santarpio's in my hometown of Boston, and have pilgimages to John's and Lombardi's in NYC. There are some chains in the U.S.A. that are pretty good as well, Bertucci's (started as a single shop in Somerville, MA close by to Harvard Sq.) and California Pizza Kitchen.>

And ? What's the point ? Does it mean because the first pizzeria in USA was opened in 1905 that they are the world's best ?

American food allways reminds me a kind of... crap as far as can go back in my memory.

That's what get when you eat in crappy restaurants. America has some of the best multi ethnic food on the planet. It's obvious to everyone that you don't know what you’re talking about.

-O

That's what get when you eat in crappy restaurants. America has some of the best multi ethnic food on the planet. It's obvious to everyone that you don't know what you’re talking about.

-O

Hear, hear! :o

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

No kidding, but I have had pizza in about 45 different countries.

I eat pizza 3 times a week.

I can eat pizza on christmas eve.

In my opinion the best pizzas I have had was in Scandinavia and USA.

I can only talk about the pizzas with several toppings as do not like the Italian style one-man-pizza which is too thin and hardly any toppings on.

As for American food in general, I think the food there is great. Normally big portions and a huge variety.

Best food I had there was in San Diego.

Best Pizza in USA was in Boston.

Best pizza ever tasted was a night club in the SAS Hotel in Tromsoe, Norway.

I will definitely try the places you guys have recommended here in BKK.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

No kidding, but I have had pizza in about 45 different countries.

I eat pizza 3 times a week.

I can eat pizza on christmas eve.

In my opinion the best pizzas I have had was in Scandinavia and USA.

I can only talk about the pizzas with several toppings as do not like the Italian style one-man-pizza which is too thin and hardly any toppings on.

As for American food in general, I think the food there is great. Normally big portions and a huge variety.

Best food I had there was in San Diego.

Best Pizza in USA was in Boston.

Best pizza ever tasted was a night club in the SAS Hotel in Tromsoe, Norway.

I will definitely try the places you guys have recommended here in BKK.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

torito:

Do you have a telephone number for "Bangkok Pizza"? Hew mak mak talking about this subject. Thanks ... TP

Edited by tpthai2

Sorry to disagree, but I found the pizza from "Bangkok Pizza" to be pretty dry and generally not all that great...

There are definatly better places out there IMO, for example, "Pizza Mania" and "Bella Napoli"

Am I correct in assuming this is another American (New York, Chicago?) style pizza parlour? I miss Melbourne Pizza :-(