A Real Pizza In Bangkok...

torito

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

No kidding, but I have had pizza in about 45 different countries.

I eat pizza 3 times a week.

I can eat pizza on christmas eve.

In my opinion the best pizzas I have had was in Scandinavia and USA.

I can only talk about the pizzas with several toppings as do not like the Italian style one-man-pizza which is too thin and hardly any toppings on.

As for American food in general, I think the food there is great. Normally big portions and a huge variety.

Best food I had there was in San Diego.

Best Pizza in USA was in Boston.

Best pizza ever tasted was a night club in the SAS Hotel in Tromsoe, Norway.

I will definitely try the places you guys have recommended here in BKK.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

I can tell you where I think I had the lousiest pizza in Asia - in the Philippines!

I like Pizza (Boston style,) the pizzas in the P.I. were all too sweet (much like most of their bread too!)

Pizza Company is much, much, much better than anything I ever got in the Philippines!

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

I can only talk about the pizzas with several toppings as do not like the Italian style one-man-pizza which is too thin and hardly any toppings on.

As for American food in general, I think the food there is great. Normally big portions and a huge variety.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

I can tell you where I think I had the lousiest pizza in Asia - in the Philippines!

I like Pizza (Boston style,) the pizzas in the P.I. were all too sweet (much like most of their bread too!)

Pizza Company is much, much, much better than anything I ever got in the Philippines!

Well, I actually had the worst in China (not including Hong Kong).

But I never tried it in Shanghai.

And yes, the pizza in PH must be made in an American (or other Western) place if I want to try it again.

Sailor

And ? What's the point ? Does it mean because the first pizzeria in USA was opened in 1905 that they are the world's best ?

American food allways reminds me a kind of... crap as far as can go back in my memory.

Just another person who wishes they were a yank!

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

And yes, the pizza in PH must be made in an American (or other Western) place if I want to try it again.

Sailor

Worst pizza, would have to be in Russia! Second worst would be in Cambodia. Best St Louis Missouri, USA or Melbourne Australia.

Thanks to the recommendation here, I tried Bangkok Pizza on Sukumvit 26/1 this week, and I don't have quite as glowing review as the OP. Here is what we ordered and our thoughts about each:

Garlic Mushrooms: Tons of chopped roasted garlic (good) and lots of oil (not so good). Definitely needed a good bit of salt to liven up the flavors.

Buffalo Chicken Wings: I couldn't stomach these at all. They tasted like rubber. (And I am not talking about the texture, I mean the TASTE.) My Thai friend said the same thing, but he ate them anyway. I'd recommend staying away from this dish for sure.

1/2 Chicken BBQ / Veggie Deluxe (Delight?): The pizza was not bad. Thin crust with generous toppings. The cheese was quite tasty and the veggies were crisp. Nothing to rave about though.

Ambiance: Hip Hop is not my favorite kind of music however I didn't mind the red walls too much. But it was a little strange to eat in a completely empty restaurant.

Prices were reasonable -- 12" pizzas were 120-180 baht. The appitizers above were around 80 baht each.

So, all in all I'll give it a B-. I am definitely not in any hurry to return.

Pizza in the P.I.

"And yes, the pizza in PH must be made in an American (or other Western) place if I want to try it again."

Sailor

I've tried a couple different places, they ALL seem to be too sweet! ----- Oregano?? I wonder if the pizza makers in the Philippines even know what that is!

Honestly, I haven't gone out of my way to test lots and lots of places, but even the "Chain Name" places have pizzas that are too sweet tasting. And my pizza eating experiences have been limited to Manila and Angeles City. I am sure that "somewhere" in the P.I. there is some good pizza that would be acceptable to me - somewhere!

When commenting on PIZZAS everyone can come up with a particular type that is the best, for me it is Boston/New York style, probably what you think is best is what you grow up with!

I lived in Italy for 2 years when I was in the military, I still thought the pizzas from my home town pizza shop in the U.S. were better than what I got in Italy! (Pizza Margerita wasn't too bad though!)

Try Ronny's Pizza on Soi #4 Great pizza. it is owned by a Dutch guy and a Canadian guy but they do American pizza.

Disappointed with Ronnie's Pizza in Soi 4. Despite the fact that the Dutch owner even sat down and talked to me.

Pizza ingredients were of GOOD QUALITY.

However, far too little toppings for the price:

1) Not enough cheese on the Pizza. I know cheese is expensive in Thailand, but his cheese was about 40% less than Pizza Hut or Pizza Company. It's like it was just "sprinkled on" with cheese rather than topped.

2) I ordered a very big pepperoni pizza and despite that, it still came up to only about one and a half pieces of pepperoni per slice!

3) The (friendly) Dutch owner sat down on my table to chat with me and ordered a pizza for himself (same flavor, pepperoni) and said that he "likes to order his own pizza so he can monitor the quality which gets to his customers".

Good intention! However, how can he monitor the "quality of pizza which goes to his customers"... if the pizza he made for himself had 4X more pepperoni and 2X more cheese than the pepperoni pizza he served me (the customer)!!!!???

Duh? :o

Edited by junkofdavid2

Sorry to disagree, but I found the pizza from "Bangkok Pizza" to be pretty dry and generally not all that great...

There are definatly better places out there IMO, for example, "Pizza Mania" and "Bella Napoli"

We can disagree in matters of taste ashacat, and keep in mind that I said a real pizza, and I did not imply the best as this does not exist in matters of taste (which sometimes depends on one's mood).

I have lived in Melbourne and in there you can find the best Italian food of the world, no doubt about it, but never in one restaurant only. In one the best napolitana pizza, in other the risotto and in other the pasta, and so on.

The majority of places in Bangkok made pizza for the locals who have a very different taste than us, and even feel attracted by the look and colors. The second fundamental aspects are the ingredients. Pizza Hut is the classic sample of it.

Some people in this forum did not like the pizza and the place in Bangkok Pizza, which is normal, but nobody has said that this is not a real western pizza style.

This is the point I wanted to make and to recommend it for those who some evening may be wandering around this area and thinking in a good pizza after having papaya salad and rice for lunch.

For anyone who's interested, there's also a pizza thread running in the "Western foods" subforum.

Therein you can learn that

Sicilian pizza of course was not invented in Italy.

:D:o

STRONGLY recommend against ever repeating that to a Sicilian !!!

Please see http://www.wired2theworld.com/sicily2003part3.html if you wish to drool over authentic Sicilian pizza, created by Anna Tasca Lanza no less, "daughter of a count, married to a marquess and determined to celebrate and pass on the old traditions of the local cuisine."

Edited by WaiWai

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

Sailor

Worst pizza, would have to be in Russia! Second worst would be in Cambodia. Best St Louis Missouri, USA or Melbourne Australia.

I agree on the St.louis missouri Pizza, they have a chain there called IMO's best pizza I ever tasted.

Greg

Mmmm Pizza!

Now we are talking here.

My favorite food.

Thnx a lot

Sailor

Sailor

I agree on the St.louis missouri Pizza, they have a chain there called IMO's best pizza I ever tasted.

Greg

Definitively the best pizza is not in Asia. I lived in China and I used to dream with a piece of good bread. That's why I appreciate the fact that somebody sells western food in here.

Countries like USA, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Europe en general are top producer of the base ingredients such as flour, cheese and meats.

In Thailand the restaurants selling western pizza have to use only imported ingredients if they want to make a product at a western style and quality. For them is quite a commercial effect.

Thanks to the recommendation here, I tried Bangkok Pizza on Sukumvit 26/1 this week, and I don't have quite as glowing review as the OP. Here is what we ordered and our thoughts about each:

Garlic Mushrooms: Tons of chopped roasted garlic (good) and lots of oil (not so good). Definitely needed a good bit of salt to liven up the flavors.

Buffalo Chicken Wings: I couldn't stomach these at all. They tasted like rubber. (And I am not talking about the texture, I mean the TASTE.) My Thai friend said the same thing, but he ate them anyway. I'd recommend staying away from this dish for sure.

1/2 Chicken BBQ / Veggie Deluxe (Delight?): The pizza was not bad. Thin crust with generous toppings. The cheese was quite tasty and the veggies were crisp. Nothing to rave about though.

Ambiance: Hip Hop is not my favorite kind of music however I didn't mind the red walls too much. But it was a little strange to eat in a completely empty restaurant.

Prices were reasonable -- 12" pizzas were 120-180 baht. The appitizers above were around 80 baht each.

Agree with you on the wings, they were nasty. On the pizza, I found it mediocre. I have ordered three pizzas from them now, each of a different variety, including a pizza margarita as a base line. That being said, for the price, and the delivery, it is a far better deal than Pizza Hut or Pizza Company, and most anything listed in Food by Phone (based on pricing). As such, it may not be the best option for going out for a pizza, but for delivery, it is well worth it.

Again, it is on Sukhumvit 24/1 (but closer to 26 than 24). 24/1 is a small soi with mainly massage parlors. Keep walking down the soi, the pizza place is on your right.

The best pizza I've had in Thailand is at Pan Pan in Jomtien. Here are fotos of two (3-cheese with Gorgonzola! & sea food) we scarfed down last week. Thin crust, loads of good quality cheese. Pan Pan also serves very good Italian food. I live in Bangkok but stop at Pan Pan for these pizzas whenever I am in Jomtien.

post-30303-1176881439_thumb.jpgpost-30303-1176881465_thumb.jpg

heres a tip

buy some pita bread, spoon some tomato sauce/paste/spaghetti sauce on it ...season, sprinkle some cheese, pepperoni whatever and season...stick in oven/toaster oven

it will be better than most pizza places in thailand..not all but most.

i like putting bell pepper/onions/ marinated pork on mine....the juice from the pork/pepperoni will seep down into the cheese and give it more flavor

that knorr seasoning works wonders... oven on hottest setting, prewarm it.

pita bread and pizza bread are in the same family.

try it youll like it

Edited by Clipped

heres a tip

buy some pita bread, spoon some tomato sauce/paste/spaghetti sauce on it ...season, sprinkle some cheese, pepperoni whatever and season...stick in oven/toaster oven

it will be better than most pizza places in thailand..not all but most.

i like putting bell pepper/onions/ marinated pork on mine....the juice from the pork/pepperoni will seep down into the cheese and give it more flavor

that knorr seasoning works wonders... oven on hottest setting, prewarm it.

pita bread and pizza bread are in the same family.

try it youll like it

Ah, I used to do that all the time back in the US. If you're out of pita, you can use English muffins as an alternative - though pita is better. I would say take it one step further, if you have a bread maker, there is usually a setting for pizza dough. I have not seen any pre-made dough in Thailand, but I never liked the pre-made stuff in the US. To save some time, pizza places in the US will actually sell you dough - maybe they will here.

If it's owned by an American then i very much doubt it is a 'real' pizza. I always find it funny when Americans say that pizza is an american dish. :o

'ZukiSuzuki' I think that you missed one point in here.

When I meant a real western pizza I meant a type of western style, with imported ingredients and with no additional local adaptation to satisfy local taste.

There are many styles of pizza in the world and many in america. Keep in mind that america has a huge population of Italian migrants so it is quite probably that some styles were actually created in america, or perhaps adapted from the region from were the migrant come from, as in Italy almost every region has its own style.

So "a real western pizza" it is a quite valid categorization. :D

Well I finally had occasion to go into Bangkok and made a beeline for Bangkok Pizza to check in out....and pleased to report that it is very, very good...easily the best pizza I've had anywhere in Asia.

One of the 2 owners is a New Yorker and they are turning out as close to a NY Pizza as is possible outside of NYC (impossible to ever totally equal the Pizza in NYC as apparently the NYC tap water plays a role in the taste of the dough, as it also does for the bagels...)

As a native NYer, I highly recommend it!!

This was posted in the "Western Food in Thailand" area.........I feel happy now! cheers

Edited by torito

i think pizza is really up to taste,

ive eaten many different types of good pizza around the world and have worked in 2 pizza bars as a kid. to make good pizza u need a good hot oven and good ingredients sauce / cheese/ dough especially i think all would be difficult and expensive to source here in BKK. or at least the options would be limited.

for italian pizza here i like Bella Napoli, unfortunately they dont deliver. for new york (american) style Bangkok Pizza is good they deliver late too.

Try Ronny's Pizza on Soi #4 Great pizza. it is owned by a Dutch guy and a Canadian guy but they do American pizza.

you are joking right? hot dogs in place of italian sausage? lovely.

for italian pizza here i like Bella Napoli, unfortunately they dont deliver.

My favourate Italian style pizza too. They do deliver (limited area) The numbers are: 02 712 9608 and 02 259 0405.

Edited by ashacat

Agree with you on the wings, they were nasty. On the pizza, I found it mediocre. I have ordered three pizzas from them now, each of a different variety, including a pizza margarita as a base line. That being said, for the price, and the delivery, it is a far better deal than Pizza Hut or Pizza Company, and most anything listed in Food by Phone (based on pricing). As such, it may not be the best option for going out for a pizza, but for delivery, it is well worth it.

Again, it is on Sukhumvit 24/1 (but closer to 26 than 24). 24/1 is a small soi with mainly massage parlors. Keep walking down the soi, the pizza place is on your right.

Well for what it's worth, my two cents...I thought it (Bangkok Pizza) was the best pizza I've had in Asia, and I've been eating pizza here for over 2 decades. Certainly the closest to a real NY pizza.

Can't say anything about other dishes, just the pizza. I've stuck to the traditional styles, e.g. margherita and also the one with mushrooms. IMO, once you start eating it with more than 1 or maximum 2 toppings, limited in range to mushrooms, basil, pepperoni or sausage (and of course cheese), you're no longer eating pizza but rather bread with strange things thrown on top. Just my opinion, as a pizza purist. (Don't even get me started on the subject of pineapple, corn and broccoli on pizza..............!!!)

My friend from Italy *loves* Chicago-style pizza. She says it's the best pizza in the world.

Personally, I like New York style, but a nice thick Chicago pizza is good, too.

Unfortunately, I've only had Italian-style pizza here.