A Real Pizza In Bangkok...

torito

My friend from Italy *loves* Chicago-style pizza. She says it's the best pizza in the world.

Personally, I like New York style, but a nice thick Chicago pizza is good, too.

Unfortunately, I've only had Italian-style pizza here.

If it is NY style you are after, get thee to Bangkok Pizza. One of the owners is from NY and it is as close as one can get (take it from me, I'm a native NYer) , at least if you stick to the traditional toppings.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tried Bangkok Pizza the other night, it was good i am not gonna say great because it was a little dry but it was very tasty and was delivered at 1:30 in the morning!!! worth extra points in itself. Also very good value !'d give it 8/10

Just ordered from Ronnie's now so I'll eat up and let you know how that is...

worst pizza I ever had was in Milan. Consisted of the pastry base, some tomoto sauce and a few slices of onion. Where's the extra cheese ?

Besides, I make the best pizzas in the world anyway.

Edited by sibeymai

Tried Bangkok Pizza the other night, it was good i am not gonna say great because it was a little dry but it was very tasty and was delivered at 1:30 in the morning!!! worth extra points in itself. Also very good value !'d give it 8/10

Just ordered from Ronnie's now so I'll eat up and let you know how that is...

You mean 01:30 AM? If that's so, what's their website? I found myself many times hungry at 1:30 am and everything is closed

Given that there are so many varieties of pizza in the world today, hardly all we agreed about which is the best.

Bangkok Pizza makes a very good western pizza with quality ingredients and at a very good price too. I am a regular now as it is easy for me to get there.

You mean 01:30 AM? If that's so, what's their website? I found myself many times hungry at 1:30 am and everything is closed

'alexth' these guys deliver till 2.00am...... check in www.bangkokpizza.com

Edited by torito

Given that there are so many varieties of pizza in the world today, hardly all we agreed about which is the best.

Bangkok Pizza makes a very good western pizza with quality ingredients and at a very good price too. I am a regular now as it is easy for me to get there.

'alexth' these guys deliver till 2.00am...... check in www.bangkokpizza.com

That's great, thanks. I don't know about how good the pizza is, but it sure must be better than the 7 Eleven sandwiches or hot-dogs. You should have started this thread by specifying that they deliver at these late hours and I can assure you I wouldn't have complained :o

Edited by alexth

My friend from Italy *loves* Chicago-style pizza. She says it's the best pizza in the world.

Personally, I like New York style, but a nice thick Chicago pizza is good, too.

Unfortunately, I've only had Italian-style pizza here.

where can i get chicago style pizza in BKK, how is it different from NY style?

where can i get chicago style pizza in BKK, how is it different from NY style?

Sorry for my ignorance but I have never heard of Chicago Pizza......but I investigated:

"Chicago-style pizza is a specific variety of pizza. Pizza is traditionally considered to be a type of hearth cake such as focaccia. The Chicago-style pizza shares more in common with a casserole, such as lassagna. True Chicago-style pizza, a unique deep dish variety, features a buttery crust-chesse-chunky tomato sauce construction. While stuffed, pan and thin-crust style pizzas are also served in Chicago, it is for the deep-dish style that Chicago pizza is most famous."

It looks like a big quiche....I doubt that some restaurant in Thailand can make a Chicago style pizza.....as far as I can understand it would not be profitable..

Edited by torito

This week, again, another good pizza from Bangkok Pizza.

That place is now my first choice for pizza.

The menu has changed.

The new menu has fewer items and the small, 7" pizzas are no longer available.

I ordered a 12" half-and-half: Hawaiian (ham and pineapple), and the other side "meat lovers".

Delivered very hot in about one hour.

The "meat lovers" is consistently my favourite.

I keep ordering that and trying others alongside for comparison.

On the Hawaiian, the ham has little flavor.

But my TG favored that side, maybe because of the pineapple.

I also ordered the vegetable lasagna.

That was okay, but nothing special.

I've tried lasagna at many Italian restaurants in Bangkok, but haven't found one that seems to have the knack.

In the past, I've ordered banana fritters at Bangkok Pizza.

They use a dough which is very chewy and tough -- similar in texture to "Mister Donut".

I didn't care for it.

From now on, at Bangkok Pizza, I'll stick to the pizza.

The menu has changed.

I ordered a 12" half-and-half: Hawaiian (ham and pineapple), and the other side "meat lovers".

I've tried lasagna at many Italian restaurants in Bangkok, but haven't found one that seems to have the knack.

They use a dough which is very chewy and tough -- similar in texture to "Mister Donut".

I didn't care for it.

After reading the reviews here, I tried Bangkok pizza last week and was very disappointed. I am not saying it is bad, but it was built up to be great and it isn't. I had the Marguerite pizza so there was nothing else to cover the taste and the tomato sauce wasn't strong enough (I am not into pouring on the supplied ketchip), the cheese used is not nearly as good as others and the pizza was very much overcooked and dry. Maybe I just got a bad one, but that shouldn't happen. Some have been using NY pizza as a base reference, but I know NY pizza very, very well and this wasn't close.

The menu has changed.

I didn't care for it.

After reading the reviews here, I tried Bangkok pizza last week and was very disappointed. I am not saying it is bad, but it was built up to be great and it isn't. I had the Marguerite pizza so there was nothing else to cover the taste and the tomato sauce wasn't strong enough (I am not into pouring on the supplied ketchip), the cheese used is not nearly as good as others and the pizza was very much overcooked and dry. Maybe I just got a bad one, but that shouldn't happen. Some have been using NY pizza as a base reference, but I know NY pizza very, very well and this wasn't close.

I agree with everything you say Old Man River. After reading this thread I also tried Bangkok Pizza for the first time and was disappointed.

I will try Ronnie's but I'm not holding my breath.

As it is said, there is nothing written about taste...becuase it is impossible..

Some like the tomato, others don't;.... some from NY say that it is a real NY style pizza, some that it is not;.... some like the cheese, others dont'....some say that it is great and that will go back and others not way

...some go to Italy and they don't enjoy the pizza in there either..

yeah we should agree to disagree...I do not believe that everybody will like their pizza, as it happens with all other pizza shops.

My original intention with the topic, was to celebrate the fact that the Bankok Pizza kitchen makes a western style pizza without the local influence (such as Pizza Hut for instance), and I think that still this is the case.

Edited by torito

The menu has changed.

I didn't care for it.

I agree with everything you say Old Man River. After reading this thread I also tried Bangkok Pizza for the first time and was disappointed.

I will try Ronnie's but I'm not holding my breath.

save your money. ronnies is AWFUL.

I went to a place called "pizza pizza" in World trade and was surprised how good it was. 250 baht for a large size pizza eurostyle. Very fresh and they make it in a wood fried owen too. The best place I have expirienced so far when it comes to pizza.

do they do a thin crust version? and if so does it come out crispy or sagging wet?

i want pizza tomorrow, and only like thin crust so will give it a go if they offer thin

Thanks to the recommendation here, I tried Bangkok Pizza on Sukumvit 26/1 this week, and I don't have quite as glowing review as the OP. Here is what we ordered and our thoughts about each:

Garlic Mushrooms: Tons of chopped roasted garlic (good) and lots of oil (not so good). Definitely needed a good bit of salt to liven up the flavors.

Buffalo Chicken Wings: I couldn't stomach these at all. They tasted like rubber. (And I am not talking about the texture, I mean the TASTE.) My Thai friend said the same thing, but he ate them anyway. I'd recommend staying away from this dish for sure.

1/2 Chicken BBQ / Veggie Deluxe (Delight?): The pizza was not bad. Thin crust with generous toppings. The cheese was quite tasty and the veggies were crisp. Nothing to rave about though.

Ambiance: Hip Hop is not my favorite kind of music however I didn't mind the red walls too much. But it was a little strange to eat in a completely empty restaurant.

Prices were reasonable -- 12" pizzas were 120-180 baht. The appitizers above were around 80 baht each.

So, all in all I'll give it a B-. I am definitely not in any hurry to return.

do they do a thin crust version? and if so does it come out crispy or sagging wet?

i want pizza tomorrow, and only like thin crust so will give it a go if they offer thin

At Bangkok Pizza I am sure that they will make the effect to do it the way you like it if it is possible....no guarantee that they will get it right, but try...

I have never ordered as I live near by, but I have "take away" a couple of times, and I have asked the way I like it.....no problem.

Edited by torito

After reading the reviews here, I tried Bangkok pizza last week ..........Some have been using NY pizza as a base reference, but I know NY pizza very, very well and this wasn't close.
If it is NY style you are after, get thee to Bangkok Pizza. One of the owners is from NY and it is as close as one can get (take it from me, I'm a native NYer) , at least if you stick to the traditional toppings.

The reason becuase I like Bangkok Pizza is becuase it is a western style.........now I am not sure from where!

well, say............from somewhere in america.

Bangkok Pizza changed his hours of service, now the deliver till 2.00am on weekends only, and till 12.00 the other days.

Becuase they sell only western food, they only have work when farangs are around.

Bangkok Pizza changed his hours of service, now the deliver till 2.00am on weekends only, and till 12.00 the other days.

Becuase they sell only western food, they only have work when farangs are around.

Yeah, they have also changed the time they open from 11am to 4pm!! No more cheap lunch deal for 89 Baht!! Scandalous.

Yeah, they have also changed the time they open from 11am to 4pm!! No more cheap lunch deal for 89 Baht!! Scandalous.

Yeah, the owners had this plan since a long time as it was not business to keep it open becuase there was not enough customers on lunch time. During lunch time this area is full of Thai office's people and they prefer the 20bht food shops......

Yeah, the owners had this plan since a long time as it was not business to keep it open becuase there was not enough customers on lunch time. During lunch time this area is full of Thai office's people and they prefer the 20bht food shops......

Ok, Torito, I think they should issue you a work permit for this.

Bangkok Pizza have changed their menu a bit. a new pizza, entrees and desserts are different too. www.bangkokpizza.com

if u like their pizza and u like anchovies try the "Aroi Aroi" its good.

I'll give Bangkok Pizza a ring this weekend and see if their pizza is any good. I have to say, their menu sounds deelish! I've tried ronny's once. Delivery was around 30 minutes, but the sauce was too sweet, and there wasn't enough cheese. On the other hand, I ordered it at like 2am, so that earns it some points. I'll take pics and give review when the time comes.

It's nice to know that there are people eating Pork,Ckn, And Beef on the streets as rats chase down a piece trash.These people would also be nice enough to share there comments about american food. Funny. Maybe you all sould spend this energy cleaning the streets where you live. You haven't had enough food prepared in the U.S. and if you had you got what you paid for. Buy some fly infested noodles off the streets and shit for the first 2 hours of your day. Here's to your Pizza. Domm

It's nice to know that there are people eating Pork,Ckn, And Beef on the streets as rats chase down a piece trash.These people would also be nice enough to share there comments about american food. Funny. Maybe you all sould spend this energy cleaning the streets where you live. You haven't had enough food prepared in the U.S. and if you had you got what you paid for. Buy some fly infested noodles off the streets and shit for the first 2 hours of your day. Here's to your Pizza. Domm

looking forward to hearing more from you.

Nice to have a down-to-earth american perspective on the board.

what is Ckn? i dont believe i have tried that.