BANGKOK
Scott

SURVEY: 10,000 English Teachers -- a good start or bad idea?

SURVEY: 10,000 English Teachers -- a good start or bad idea?  

109 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Minister of Education plans to hire 10,000 English Teachers, there are currently 7,000 English teachers and he wants an additional 3,000.   Which of the following best describes your opinion on the issue?

Please feel free to leave a comment.

For further reading:

Its a lie because the education budget is lower (368.7 billion baht, down 0.1% year-on-year). Maybe they expect Farang teacher to pay to work for free R&B. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pie in the sky. As my old Mum used to say, " I've heard ducks f**t before.😂"

• Like 1

You get what you pay for. Teachers at true international schools such as Regent's in Pattaya get more than a decent salary, and as a result attract great teachers. When the rest of Thailand offers 30-35k monthly and little to no pay bumps annually, you get the dregs of the teaching community.

• Like 2

Thailand has had native English teachers for years. There was a forum with hundreds of them on there.

Do they not want to learn  , were the teachers not up to it ?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, NE1 said:

Thailand has had native English teachers for years. There was a forum with hundreds of them on there.

Do they not want to learn  , were the teachers not up to it ?

The quality of many of those "native speakers" is horrendous. I personally know two Language teachers (at this school, only Thais are allowed to teach English) and I can't understand about half of what they say due to their thick accents. This school is the largest private school system in all Southeast Asia and the majority of teachers are working illegally because the low wages offered won't attract valid, legal teachers. Starting salary is 30k without a degree, 35k with. As I said, you get what you pay for.

• Like 1

Another 10,000? Obviously the previous 10,000 weren't up to the job.

Blame the students, blame the system but never point the finger back at the problem.

Alcoholic expats teaching as a way to keep their visa valid is not the solution. And there are/were plenty.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, RBOP said:

Its a lie because the education budget is lower (368.7 billion baht, down 0.1% year-on-year). Maybe they expect Farang teacher to pay to work for free R&B. 

I'd be prepared to donate a few hours a week in return for citizenship.

• Haha 1

I’ve met a number of English teachers over the years but two particular ones stayed in my mind. One was Thai and after about twenty minutes I gave up trying to understand what she was saying. Basically it was gibberish. The other one was an American. She talked about having worked in Vietnam and Cambodia before here. She explained that in the other countries the kids were interested and after school would practice with eachother. In Thailand she said the kids just weren’t interested at all.

• Like 1

Probably that many quality native teachers have left here because the MOE is run by people who have had their way to the top paid for. Your son is very dumb. Big fat brown paper bag. Your son pass. And on it it goes 'til they're in a position to show the world the teacher was right. Brainless but rich.