Break failure as truck crashes into Kata Minimart

rooster59

Break failure as truck crashes into Kata Minimart

By Eakkapop Thongtub

1582361829_1-org.jpg

Police and rescue workers survey the damage after the six-wheel ice truck crashed into the Minimart store in Kata this morning (Feb 22). Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: Faulty breaks are to blame for a heavy accident that occurred earlier today (Feb 22) in Kata where a truck crashed into a Minimart store.

The driver, Mr Sarayut Poonkhlai, 26, was seriously injured but, miraculously, nobody was killed.

The incident occurred around 6am this morning as Mr Sarayut, who works for Phuket Thai Namkeng Lod Co Ltd, was driving his six-wheel ice truck from Sai Yuan Rd to Kata, along Patong Rd.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/break-failure-as-truck-crashes-into-kata-minimart-74955.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-23

Never knew that was called Patong Road.

Very dangerous intersection that, many times minibuses and unloaded trucks sliding back while trying to go up a slippery hill, coming down the hill people have right of way which is all too often ignored, etc.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Thechook said:

Just curious, are there any vehicles in Thailand with mechanically sound brakes?

They usually leave it to find out when they need to use them, as preventive maintenance is a swear word in the Thai language...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nausea said:

Another guy using only his brakes, and not gears, to  descend a steep hill, I'd guess.

Hey, he had to work the steering wheel at the same time, as well as thinking what he would be having for lunch!

For those from elsewhere, unfamiliar with Phuket, but still like to comment about every incident here, this is a pic of that intersection.

The hill is very steep and very dangerous. I don't know why anyone would want a own a shop at the bottom or why anyone in their right mind would shop there.

There have been many similar accidents. Years ago a truck veered to the  left to avoid crashing at the bottom, and demolished a wall to that resort.  The new, blue feature is where they repaired it.

Kata.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 6:01 AM, rooster59 said:

Faulty breaks are to blame for a heavy accident that occurred earlier today (Feb 22) in Kata where a truck crashed into a Minimart store.

I've just realised why he went into the drive-in: Fancy a break? Fancy a Kit Kat?

• Haha 1

I have driven down that hill many times on my scooter and you have to slow down to look left and right, no chances risking it there even if you have right of way. He could have taken out a Scooter and many people on the pavement, for example if Visa runners were being collected which they are at around dawn (if any are still going) or pinned them under part of the truck and crippled them for life. A few hours later and there are people walking back from the shops to Kata Noi, which has some of the most exclusive resorts in area. This is a major tourist area, the tourists must have seen the truck there and many thought this could have been the end of their life. 

• Like 1