EV charging stations to be set up at 50-70km intervals

rooster59

EV charging stations to be set up at 50-70km intervals

By THE NATION

800_a2643e8d9978043.jpg

A government committee has given the nod to increase the number of charging stations for electric vehicles (EV) to cover community areas and main roads between cities.

The decision was made at a meeting of the Energy Policy Administration Committee chaired by Energy Minister Sonthirat Sonthijirawong.

Sonthirat said on Friday (February 21) that “the interval for each station should be in the range of 50-70 kilometres”. “This is to solve congestions in big cities and allow people in outer urban areas to have supporting facilities for their EVs.”

This project will be financed by a fund from the Energy Policy and Planning Office and can be joined by either interest public or private organisations, he added.

At present the Ministry of Energy has 520 charging stations under its administration with 805 charging ports in total providing charging service at a flat rate, 24 hours a day.

Sonthirat added that the meeting in Friday also agreed to a motion to restructure the ex-refinery oil price by reducing the refinery’s premium by Bt0.5 per litre. The refinery’s premium is the cost that refineries bear and factor in the ex-refinery price. It covers the transport fee, insurance, compensation to lost oil during transportation and oil quality adjusting fee.

“The motion will be presented to the Energy Policy and Planning Office by March 19,” he said. “If the motion is approved, the retail oil price will drop Bt0.5 per litre immediately due to reducing cost.”

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382621

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-23

2 hours ago, sungod said:

How does this work then? How long does it take to give a decent charge, how much does it cost, how do you pay for it.

Genuinely interested ????

Depends on the car or motorbike. Here is an example for a Tesla. 

images (21).jpeg

images (22).jpeg

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

The relevant minister also said recently in the news that they want to put 0% tax on all EV. Right now the price of a Tesla in Thailand is outrageous. 

It's the import duty that's the killer on Teslas. Not the tax.

But as import duty on EVs from China is 0%, and Tesla now has a factory there producing cars (for the Chinese market initially), there's a possibility of far cheaper Chinese-sourced Teslas in the near-ish future.

1 minute ago, bkk_mike said:

It's the import duty that's the killer on Teslas. Not the tax.

But as import duty on EVs from China is 0%, and Tesla now has a factory there producing cars (for the Chinese market initially), there's a possibility of far cheaper Chinese-sourced Teslas in the near-ish future.

Sorry I meant import duty. They plan to drop it for all EV but it's not official yet. 

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

you can put them up every 50yds for all i care ,until i can charge the car in 3 mins without having to join a q then drive 300 miles  i will stick with my petrol car thanks.

In Central and other bigger places it's free to charge. Mostly it's not the really fast chargers. Takes about 3h for 350km of range. I assume they dont charge at really high speeda because its free and they want you to spend money in Central but hey. Nice "bonus".

I assume this will be standard everywhere. Free charging and they make it back on you grabbing food etc nearby.

Edited by zib

Car ownership in the Kingdom has rocketed in recent years, with 226 out of every thousand Thais now owning conventionally-powered vehicles bought on credit deals.

Roughly a quarter of consumers are already having problems making repayments on their existing car loans. How can they be expected to lash out for an expensive new EV in the foreseeable?

https://paultan.org/2019/09/26/asean-vehicle-to-population-list-the-correct-facts/

https://asia.nikkei.com/Editor-s-Picks/FT-Confidential-Research/Ballooning-household-debt-will-slow-Thailand-s-growth

• Like 2

I'm startled to learn there are as many as 520 charging stations here already. Has to be a good thing. In 10 years it'll be all electric everywhere, and recharge way cheaper than petrol or diesel.

All they have to do is keep the stations operating during monsoon blackouts ...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mfd101 said:

I'm startled to learn there are as many as 520 charging stations here already. Has to be a good thing. In 10 years it'll be all electric everywhere, and recharge way cheaper than petrol or diesel.

All they have to do is keep the stations operating during monsoon blackouts ...

You live in a dream world if you think recharging will be cheaper ,once most have them prices will rise .

many years ago in Britain i remember we changed over to 'natural gas" it was going to be almost free,we were told ,how did that work out?

• Like 2

Right. This sounds quite a bit like the 'Broadband internet for every village' scheme which died in the backside because someone opened their mouth before engaging their brain. Almost like there was an election on the horizon...

Still, benefit of the doubt... let's see how many new EV recharging stations there are outside of Bangkok in (say) 2 years shall we? I'm betting on less than 10.

All mouth and trousers.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Like 1

That would be really great if they can actually do it. In a year or two we'll start having many EV cars in Thailand under 1MB.

I have received the MG ZS EV last September and since then I have put 8000 km, where 4000 of those Kms came from free charging at some stations, specially the one at my work.

I won't tell the secret, but it's really awesome this car. Having saved 5000 baht a month in gasoline.

At home I have the type2 AC charge that charges are 32 amps (7.4 kW). That is, a full charge overnight, but I rarely use it. ????

Still there is a long way for EV to mature more, and I don't it beats a Diesel SUV in Thailand yet. On terms of range, torque and reliability. The MG ZS EV is also seems to be reliable. Very low maintenance... So we'll see.

• Thanks 2

Also electricity can't go up in price too much because it's also used everywhere.

Honestly I think solar and wind energy will take off very soon, there are some great improvements on this tech in the past year. There is so much sun in Thailand, but solar panels are still inefficient, but they are getting better and better.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

for long range, it is a downright nightmare...taxes the envirorment. That is the biggest joke of it all.

Seems you are misinformed. This year EVs are doing 400, 600, even 1000 km of range if that is your thing. How far does your car go? It won't be long before people will be saying they need to buy an EV because the stupid gas cars don't go far enough without refueling needed. And an EV can recharge at the convenience of your own home, gas cars gotta drive to the filling station and waste time waiting. And nobody says EVs don't pollute. EVs are better for the environment when the entire life cycle of the car (i.e. from mining the raw materials to end of life) is taken into consideration compared to gas powered cars.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, canopy said:

Seems you are misinformed. This year EVs are doing 400, 600, even 1000 km of range if that is your thing. How far does your car go? It won't be long before people will be saying they need to buy an EV because the stupid gas cars don't go far enough without refueling needed. And an EV can recharge at the convenience of your own home, gas cars gotta drive to the filling station and waste time waiting. And nobody says EVs don't pollute. EVs are better for the environment when the entire life cycle of the car (i.e. from mining the raw materials to end of life) is taken into consideration compared to gas powered cars.

The cheapest tesla does 200m KM, and not a meter more. (and to get that far, you better switch off radio airco and the like, oh and not do over say a 100km/h !).

Like I said, I know many people that actually purchased or leased such a car. And the short range I described is a matter of fact. yes there are "long range" models, that cost and arm and a leg, and they still don't even come near the range of the average diesel car. Misinformed ? Yeah right, you must be one of those marketing guys trying to sell the damm things. Come back when those cars can de the same milage, and cost the same  as a conventional car. 

"refulling" such an EV is a massive problem by the way, but I guess you neglect to mention that. Ask those people already using those cars, sitting an hour or two behind the wheel watching netflix because the stupid car won't go without re-charging. Hillarious. 

I go from the Netherlands to Lyon frequently, that's a 900 KM stretch. My conventional car doesn't do that distance either (it comes 100 km short), yet refulling takes five minutes as opposed to hours. And for your information, charging stations are almost non existend in Belgium and France, two countries I have to pass to even get to Lyon. 

Pray tell, how does recharging from the convenience of my home help me when my home is say 500 km away?  As I orignally stated, if you are doing a back and forth of 200km it is doable, anything over is a problem. 

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

The cheapest tesla does 200m KM

Please post a reference to this laughable claim. Oh you can't? What a surprise. Maybe you should be posting in the joke's forum. This year tesla's do 400, 600, or even 1000 km. EV range is going up and up by leaps and bounds. Diesel isn't. Wake up.

you must be one of those marketing guys trying to sell the damm things

No, I am "one of those guys" posting facts. I understand the truth can be uncomfortable.

that's a 900 KM stretch.

Yes, so a 1000 km range EV would do that and has better range than your car to boot.

yet refulling takes five minutes as opposed to hours

You mean after plugging an EV car in an outlet at your home you would sit there and watch the darn thing for hours? Not everyone is that stupid. Recharging an EV is less time involved for the person than refilling diesel. No driving to the filling station, no waiting in queues, no waiting for filling, no dealing with payment. Just a way more efficient, better, safer way.

Edited by canopy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, brfsa2 said:

Also electricity can't go up in price too much because it's also used everywhere.

Honestly I think solar and wind energy will take off very soon, there are some great improvements on this tech in the past year. There is so much sun in Thailand, but solar panels are still inefficient, but they are getting better and better.

Solar is great, its the battery technology to store it that needs (and is) slowly improving

and.. what car can actually go 1000KM ?

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/longest-range-electric-cars-ev/

and more of these searches, a measly 375 Miles. that's all it can do, hillarious. And that for a whopping 77.000 GBP, 5555 you cannot fix stupid. 

At least, you CAN charge at home, providing you don't drive to far from it, 555 ! Quite clearly not ready for real drivers that have to drive longer than 375 miles/2....

Edited by sjaak327
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Depends on the car or motorbike. Here is an example for a Tesla. 

images (21).jpeg

images (22).jpeg

Number of Telsa Supercharge stations in Thailand zero

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/supercharger?redirect=no

Tesla Supercharger Stations use a proprietary plug that means rival electric car brands can’t use them

Edited by vinny41
forgot url