EV charging stations to be set up at 50-70km intervals

rooster59

3 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Number of Telsa Supercharge stations in Thailand zero

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/supercharger?redirect=no

Tesla Supercharger Stations use a proprietary plug that means rival electric car brands can’t use them

I responded to someone who asked what charging and autonomy looked like. I said it depends on the car and gave Tesla only as an example. The only thing that I know about Tesla in Thailand is that they are overpriced by at least 80%.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

and.. what car can actually go 1000KM ?

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/longest-range-electric-cars-ev/

and more of these searches, a measly 375 Miles. that's all it can do, hillarious. And that for a whopping 77.000 GBP, 5555 you cannot fix stupid. 

At least, you CAN charge at home, providing you don't drive to far from it, 555 ! Quite clearly not ready for real drivers that have to drive longer than 375 miles/2....

It sufficient for the vast majority of commuter who go to work. I don't know many peoples who drive 1000km to go to work. If it doesn't fit your needs or budget then don't buy it. Simple.

In my case it makes no sense to own a car at all so I rent when needed. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Allegedly the not yet available Tesla Roadster will do 620miles....

But thats prolly achieved by not using the radio or air conditioning and traveling at a maximum of 50mph !!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Number of Telsa Supercharge stations in Thailand zero

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/supercharger?redirect=no

Tesla Supercharger Stations use a proprietary plug that means rival electric car brands can’t use them

Only in the US. In Europe and more importantly for us here in Thailand, Chinese built Teslas, will be able to use the regular charging stations.

https://insideevs.com/news/341885/chinese-tesla-model-3-spotted-with-proper-gb-t-connector/

tesla-model-3-ccs-port-peter-schwierz.pn

7 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

The cheapest Tesla, which several of my collegues are actually driving, goes about 200 KM on a single charge 

Post a reference to this nonsense range you made up. Everyone can see through it so don't think you are fooling anyone with this made up lie. Tesla's do 400, 600, 1000 km of range this year.

And that figure is the marketing range

Wrong again. The range is set by the EPA just like for any other car.

You completely lost me with your claim that recharging such a car is less time then it takes to fill up a tank with diesel, which takes less than five minutes

Charging an EV takes a few seconds to plug in and you are done. This can be done at work, at home, or public places. That's paradise compared to diesel. And with EV range now starting to surpass diesel vehicles that's just another great advantage.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

What's with all the shouting? The technology is new and evolving. It can suit some people NOW, most people NOT.

Watch it move over the next 10 years. In my case Oz is a good place to watch - huge distances between the 6 cities where 90% of the population lives, and vast areas off the main roads. There's the test of the new technology over the next 10 years.

Edited by mfd101
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Part of the solution for recharging - perhaps almost the whole solution down the track, particularly in sunny climates - will be solar panels in the roof of the vehicle. Already being worked on.

The tesla pickup will have a solar roof for a little charging boost. Range? 400-800 km depending on model.

ct7.png.17368bcd4472533ed3f7b8458f046ba7.png

Edited by canopy
  • Like 1

Once you have rooftop solar, having an EV is the next logical step. I am producing more power than I can use or store and would love to dump it into an EV. Most of my driving is local, so my next car will definitely be an EV. 

Check out the EA Anywhere app for charging stations in Thailand

UmZrP1q.png

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I reckon/hope that in 2-3 years the EV market in Thailand will feature a much broader range of vehicles, at better prices, with better battery technology and with more high speed charging points coming on line. Then I'd be happy to buy one. Most of driving is in Bangkok but I also often make trips to the surrounding provinces. The new Volvo XC40 Recharge looks interesting, plus it will be assembled and imported from Malaysia so pricing may be 'reasonable' for Thailand (eg V60 T8 hybrid, which I looked at recently, starts at just over THB 2 million). The build quality of Volvo is good. In comparison my brother-in-law's MG EV looks and feels built to a low price point. The Chinese BYD EV taxis at Suvarnabhumi feel - as a passenger - like a much better quality vehicle.

Tests like this are all helpful - basically looks like 300-400 km is a reasonable assumption.

We drove the Tesla Model 3, Audi e-tron, Jaguar I-Pace, Nissan Leaf, Kia e-Niro and Mercedes EQC across the UK to see how long they could last.

Mercedes : 194 miles = 312km

Audi : 206 miles = 331km

Nissan : 208 miles = 334km

Jaguar : 223 miles = 358km

Kia : 255 miles = 410km

Tesla : 270 miles = 434km

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc

Luckily we don't get really cold weather here, which significantly impacts on battery performance. But hot weather also has an impact, albeit less.

"The AAA study found range fell 4 percent from EPA numbers at 95 degrees. But, again, that number was assuming the motorist didn’t mind sweating. Turn the climate control system down to 70 degrees, AAA found and range fell by 17 percent. Tesla emailed a statement that disputed AAA’s findings, saying the report exaggerates the impact that cold weather has on its electric vehicles’ range."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/02/06/aaa-confirms-what-tesla-bmw-nissan-ev-owners-suspected-of-cold-weather.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/longest-range-electric-cars-ev/

and more of these searches, a measly 375 Miles. that's all it can do, hillarious. And that for a whopping 77.000 GBP, 5555 you cannot fix stupid. 

At least, you CAN charge at home, providing you don't drive to far from it, 555 ! Quite clearly not ready for real drivers that have to drive longer than 375 miles/2....

The Tesla long range which in the UK costs £77,000 has a range of 375 miles.

1. Tesla Model S Long Range – the EV with the longest range currently on sale
375-mile range (WLTP)

£77,200 in the UK is the equivalent of 3,088,000 in Thailand before any extra import or other duties are applied.

375 miles is roughly 626 km but you will have to find a charging station around 600 km and wait until you have enough to get you back again.

5 hours ago, canopy said:

Post a reference to this nonsense range you made up. Everyone can see through it so don't think you are fooling anyone with this made up lie. Tesla's do 400, 600, 1000 km of range this year.

Charging an EV takes a few seconds to plug in and you are done. This can be done at work, at home, or public places. That's paradise compared to diesel. And with EV range now starting to surpass diesel vehicles that's just another great advantage.

Takes more than a few seconds to charge an EV unless your talking about a bicycle

Charge time for a Tesla Model S

Charger levelTime to charge

NEMA 5-153 miles of range per hour

NEMA 14-5010 ½ hours

Wall connector 6 to 9 hours

Supercharger1 hour

https://www.energysage.com/electric-vehicles/charging-your-ev/charging-a-tesla/

4 hours ago, canopy said:

quote "Charging an EV takes a few seconds to plug in and you are done. This can be done at work, at home, or public places." what you forgot to mention is that after the few seconds to plug it in, is the hours you wait for the damn thing to be fully charged again.

In my crappy old Ford Ranger it only takes a couple of minutes to fill the tank and I can do that in so many places both on and off the main highways. There will be no open free chargers once you get out of the city and off the main highways, whereas I can fill my diesel truck

4 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Once you have rooftop solar, having an EV is the next logical step. I am producing more power than I can use or store and would love to dump it into an EV. Most of my driving is local, so my next car will definitely be an EV. 

Check out the EA Anywhere app for charging stations in Thailand

UmZrP1q.png

up almost anywhere.

The map looks great until you go to the app and look for charging stations outside of the big cities and even along the main highways there isn't so much.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, canopy said:

Where did I claim the Tesla my colleague has is a Tesla from 2020 ? My claim was that HIS tesla can only do 200 KM give or take. Should he ditch his car after one year and get a new one ? 

I can hear your marketing talk, and it is absolutely ridiculous. Yes one can charge everywhere, PROVIDING those charging stations are actually available. In they city of Gent for instance (we checked) there are about 50 in the whole city. And none within walking distance of either our office and only one in walking distance of our hotel. Furthermore the quick charge is apparantly less effective if you discharge your car under 50%. Hence if you fully discharge your car it can take a long time for it to charge back to 100% again. With diesel It doesn't matter, it still takes only 5 minutes to fill her right up to 100 again. The advantages you see are in reality of course absolute bogus. But I am guessing you never actually drove an EV, or are driving short distances. 

The marketing talk is nice, the reality vastly different. But hey, you can always try can't you.

Now where is that 1000 KM EV ? As another poster already said, off with the airco, off with the radio, drive 50MPH/H. 

Thanks for the continued laugh !

Edited by sjaak327

6 hours ago, billd766 said:

The map looks great until you go to the app and look for charging stations outside of the big cities and even along the main highways there isn't so much

Sounds like you do a lot of long distance driving, so probably an EV is not going to be right for you as an only car until you they build more charging stations, which is what this thread is about "charging-stations-to-be-set-up-at-50-70km-intervals".

I on the other hand would be charging at home for free from my solar panels and driving less than 200km round trips.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Where did I claim the Tesla my colleague has is a Tesla from 2020 ?

You didn't. Now post a reference to any model Tesla in any year with a 200 km range. It's a lie you made up and everyone can see it. I just want to make sure you are the laughing stock of this thread for posting stupid information and lies. I mean what your point posting garbage in a thread people come to learn from?

18 hours ago, vinny41 said:

Takes more than a few seconds to charge an EV unless your talking about a bicycle

It takes a few seconds to load up a laundry machine. But you don't sit there waiting and staring at it for hours to finish do you? Or do you? I am starting to wonder about some of you. I will have you know that most people leave the laundry machine and it actually does its thing in the background just fine without you watching. Similarly plugging in an EV takes a few seconds and you don't care how long it takes because you are at your destination kicking back while it does its thing. Refilling a gas vehicle takes 5 minutes of your time, an EV just seconds. And with EV ranges now eclipsing diesel and gas vehicles it's just another advantage. Some EVs can go 1000 km between charges in 2020. And no oil changes. Nice to see things changing for the better.

2 hours ago, canopy said:

It takes a few seconds to load up a laundry machine. But you don't sit there waiting and staring at it for hours to finish do you? Or do you? I am starting to wonder about some of you. I will have you know that most people leave the laundry machine and it actually does its thing in the background just fine without you watching. Similarly plugging in an EV takes a few seconds and you don't care how long it takes because you are at your destination kicking back while it does its thing. Refilling a gas vehicle takes 5 minutes of your time, an EV just seconds. And with EV ranges now eclipsing diesel and gas vehicles it's just another advantage. Some EVs can go 1000 km between charges in 2020. And no oil changes. Nice to see things changing for the better.

I think the point is if you need you recharge mid journey. Nobody wants to hang around at a charging station for hours when you're 250 kms into a 400 km journey and need a charge.

Hybrids are still the best solution right now unless you do a short daily commute only. In which case charging at home overnight is fine. I think an EV would make a good second car for short commutes, shopping, driving around Bangkok etc. but it will be a few years before I considered leaving Internal Combustion engines completely. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I think the point is if you need you recharge mid journey. Nobody wants to hang around at a charging station for hours when you're 250 kms into a 400 km journey and need a charge.

Hybrids are still the best solution right now unless you do a short daily commute only. In which case charging at home overnight is fine. I think an EV would make a good second car for short commutes, shopping, driving around Bangkok etc. but it will be a few years before I considered leaving Internal Combustion engines completely. 

Tesla need 30min on a supercharger to add 250+km. My wife tend to want to stop about that much distance anyway. Charging time and autonomy is not static and will only improve. I think being able to drive like 400-600+km on full charge then having to stop 30min is not the end of the world. I rarely tend to drive more than 600km in a day anyway. It's obviously not a suitable solution for someone who do only marathon style driving session and eat while driving and urinate in a bottle. 

Edited by Tayaout

16 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Sounds like you do a lot of long distance driving, so probably an EV is not going to be right for you as an only car until you they build more charging stations, which is what this thread is about "charging-stations-to-be-set-up-at-50-70km-intervals".

I on the other hand would be charging at home for free from my solar panels and driving less than 200km round trips.

I used to do a lot of Klong Lan/Bangkok trips about 360 km each way but now It is home to Khampaeng Phet 65 km each way perhaps once or twice a month.

Having said that my Ford Ranger pickup is paid for several times over and is fairly cheap to run. TBH I wouldn't bother to buy an electric car as they initial outlay is still fairly high. I would need a home charger and the electricity to power it. 

But you solar panels at home did not come for free, you had to buy and install them, plus if you have a battery back up that had to be paid for as well. The batteries and solar cells will need to be replaced periodically. It might be a relatively low cost to run a solar cell system but the start up costs will be fairly high and even more so if you have to but an EV as well.

The last time I checked on a solar cell system it came to about 7 years of electricity bills upfront money.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, billd766 said:

But you solar panels at home did not come for free, you had to buy and install them, plus if you have a battery back up that had to be paid for as well. The batteries and solar cells will need to be replaced periodically. It might be a relatively low cost to run a solar cell system but the start up costs will be fairly high and even more so if you have to but an EV as well.

The last time I checked on a solar cell system it came to about 7 years of electricity bills upfront money.

I won't argue with you on this, but everyone's situation is different. For me, I have savings and investments that produce an income that I live off in retirement. With interest rates in the toilet, it makes more sense for me to reduce my future costs, rather than try to increase my income. I would have to invest ฿2million at 2% to cover my current electric bill and as electricity costs rise so would the amount I would have to have invested. 

I have excess solar during the middle of the hours of the day (my batteries are fully charged by 10am), which basically means free fuel for an electric car. So when comparing the cost of an EV or an ICE,  I would have to add the cost of the fuel I would use with the ICE. 

I don't currently own an EV. I nearly bought one when I installed my solar, but decided to wait to see if we get more choice of EVs in Thailand. 

• Like 1

You can argue contra EV all you want but it is the future,that and fuelcell

type vehicles.

In a few years they will be the vehicle to have.

Last year i was in Europe and my little brother let me use his car,a Tesla.

I was very much impressed with the performance and the way it handled.

Young guys with GTI's at the stop light have no chance!!lol.

Two years before i drove a Leaf over there,also very nice!!

I also believe that in a few years left hand drive or right hand drive

will be available in the same car,just slide the dash over and move

the wheel to the side you want.

I would really like to have the truck Tesla is working on,awesome!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jvs said:

You can argue contra EV all you want but it is the future,that and fuelcell

type vehicles.

In a few years they will be the vehicle to have.

Last year i was in Europe and my little brother let me use his car,a Tesla.

I was very much impressed with the performance and the way it handled.

Young guys with GTI's at the stop light have no chance!!lol.

Two years before i drove a Leaf over there,also very nice!!

I also believe that in a few years left hand drive or right hand drive

will be available in the same car,just slide the dash over and move

the wheel to the side you want.

I would really like to have the truck Tesla is working on,awesome!

Sliding the dash isn't too hard but the steering wheel and the pedals may not be so easy. If it is LHD/RHD and has an airbag for the front passenger that will have to be relocated too.

On 2/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, JonnyF said:

Agreed. So perhaps a better strategy would be to buy an EV with 400, 600, 800, or however many km range such that midway stops are never necessary. Or even an EV that does maximum round trip distance so you only do home charging. EV range keeps going up. What wasn't possible a few years ago is possible now. And what isn't possible now will be in the years to come.

Edited by canopy

Should be noted that an EU company just raised their charging fee, at their something like 400 quick charging stations in Europe, from 8 to 50 Euros per charge. Regardless of amount of energy taken.

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

EU company just raised their charging fee

IONITY has increased it's price from €8 per session to €0.79 per kWh without a contract or €17.95 per month and €0.33 per kWh with a contract, just as well that there are no IONITY  chargers in Thailand.

Below are some pictures that I took at my local Robinson here in Surin. A 22kw type 2 charger would add approximately 120km of range per hour of charging.

UVEb6UD.jpg

Previous to January 31, 2020, IONITY charged a fixed rate of 8 euros per charge. Now the price will be €0.79 per kWh. According to calculations by InsideEVs, to buy 200 miles worth of electricity will cost around €79 ($87). By comparison, a legacy vehicle that gets 30 mpg, at typical European gas prices of $5-6 per gallon, would cost about $40 to go 200 miles.

https://chargedevs.com/newswire/is-ionitys-prodigious-price-increase-designed-to-steer-customers-to-mobility-services/

Just as long as we all know before we rush out and buy an old (oops sorry "legacy" ) Milk wagon.

3 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

I think most people who have an EV probably have a home charger and would do most of their charging at home at off peak rates. The MG EV I looked at buying recently here in Thailand came with a free installed home charger. 

If however, you live in Europe, do not have a home charger, and can only use Ionity chargers, then as the article above suggests  you would be better off signing up for a contract and paying €0.33 per kWh instead of €0.79 per kWh. Nobody would do all their charging at €0.79 per kWh.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:40 AM, canopy said:

You didn't. Now post a reference to any model Tesla in any year with a 200 km range. It's a lie you made up and everyone can see it. I just want to make sure you are the laughing stock of this thread for posting stupid information and lies. I mean what your point posting garbage in a thread people come to learn from?

For crying out loud. So you are calling my colleague a liar ? Get out of here, It is downright ridiculous. Yes there are tesla cars that barely scratch 200KM on a single charge. It is pretty simple, I am relaying actual experiences of people, and I would like obnoxious and rude people like you to stop calling me a lair. Stop using the marketing range and use the actual range. My colleague was happy if he could do 200-210 KM on a single charge. AIrco off, radio off and all that sort of nonsense. I know it is easier to call people a liar if your bread and butter is the EV business. 

I and many others rely on actual user experiences, not on the marketing <deleted>. Good day to you, learn to be a bit more realistic and civil. 

• Like 2