EV charging stations to be set up at 50-70km intervals

rooster59

On 2/25/2020 at 1:53 AM, canopy said:

It takes a few seconds to load up a laundry machine. But you don't sit there waiting and staring at it for hours to finish do you? Or do you? I am starting to wonder about some of you. I will have you know that most people leave the laundry machine and it actually does its thing in the background just fine without you watching. Similarly plugging in an EV takes a few seconds and you don't care how long it takes because you are at your destination kicking back while it does its thing. Refilling a gas vehicle takes 5 minutes of your time, an EV just seconds. And with EV ranges now eclipsing diesel and gas vehicles it's just another advantage. Some EVs can go 1000 km between charges in 2020. And no oil changes. Nice to see things changing for the better.

Stop the marketing <deleted> and come back to the real world. With conventional cars, one goes to a gas station, fill it up and continue the journey, with an EV one needs to wait in order to continue. It is hardly rocket science. Some people really take the cake. 

In some countries, apart from the waiting, one also needs to drive out of the way to even find a supercharger. Belgium, France Germany among others. Welcome to the real world. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

Yes there are tesla cars that barely scratch 200KM on a single charge

No there are not and never have been. And for the 3rd time you need to learn that marketing does make up the range of a vehicle. The range of a vehicle is determined by the EPA. And real world range is furthermore certified by other non-biased, independent organizations across the world. The easiest way to debunk your mystery range is if it were true the number of class action lawsuits around the world would be out the roof. But there aren't.

7 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

With conventional cars, one goes to a gas station, fill it up and continue the journey, with an EV one needs to wait in order to continue

It's a valid consideration. So buy an EV with sufficient range to go round trip without charging. And for some charging at the destination will become an increasingly useful and convenient option such as (but not limited to) shopping centers. hotels, and work places. I personally wouldn't want to ever waste time waiting around at charging stations, I mean who would? Everyone's usage is different, but for me the top end tesla pickup I could do a single charge at home once a month would suffice. Of course that's exciting.

According to this article Telsa pickup with 500 mile range 800 km) wouldn't be available until late 2022

There doesn't appear to be any ev vehicle currently in production that can do 1000 km without re-charging

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 9:59 AM, JonnyF said:

I think the point is if you need you recharge mid journey. Nobody wants to hang around at a charging station for hours when you're 250 kms into a 400 km journey and need a charge.

Hahahahaha yep, imagine owning one of these and wanting to head up to Bangkok (from Pattaya) for the morning..... it becomes an overnight trip cause ya gotta recharge the <deleted>box to get home !!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Hahahahaha yep, imagine owning one of these and wanting to head up to Bangkok (from Pattaya) for the morning..... it becomes an overnight trip cause ya gotta recharge the <deleted>box to get home !!

Bangkok Pattaya is 150km. On a type 3 Tesla charger you add 250km range in 30min of charge. Tesla Model S can do 600km on a full charge so you could spend your day driving between Pattaya and Bangkok if that's your thing. I don't know if there is many type 3 charger yet but it won't take long. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Tayaout said:

Bangkok Pattaya is 150km. On a type 3 Tesla charger you add 250km range in 30min of charge. Tesla Model S can do 600km on a full charge so you could spend your day driving between Pattaya and Bangkok if that's your thing. 

Sounds great..... for the coin a Tesla here commands I'd prefer to buy something that runs on dinosaur bones, can add 250km range to one of them in seconds !!

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Bangkok Pattaya is 150km. On a type 3 Tesla charger you add 250km range in 30min of charge. Tesla Model S can do 600km on a full charge so you could spend your day driving between Pattaya and Bangkok if that's your thing. I don't know if there is many type 3 charger yet but it won't take long. 

I know there is 1 type 3 Tesla charger in the UK but as far as I know there are none in Thailand at the moment

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I know there is 1 type 3 Tesla charger in the UK but as far as I know there are none in Thailand at the moment

Here they say you can install a type 3 at home: https://www.deltathailand.com/th/blog-detail/1/21/Why-Delta-EV-Charging-Solutions-Are-Thailand

It's still early for EV in Thailand if you need to drive long range but it might come faster than expected. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Here they say you can install a type 3 at home: https://www.deltathailand.com/th/blog-detail/1/21/Why-Delta-EV-Charging-Solutions-Are-Thailand

It's still early for EV in Thailand if you need to drive long range but it might come faster than expected. 

The Delta’s AC Mini Plus EV Charger (7.36kW) appears to be  similar k.w to Tesla level 2 charger

https://www.pluglesspower.com/learn/tesla-model-s-charging-home-public-autonomously/

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

There doesn't appear to be any ev vehicle currently in production that can do 1000 km without re-charging

This year the 1000km roadster is expected to begin production. Sets a new standard in range and performance. 

Actual range on most electric cars is around +/- 200 miles.  Between 320 and 400 kms.

If memory serves all about 80-85% of marketing claims.

EPA? What nonsense they are involved in pollution or should be not melding in electric cars. 

Sadly to convince us to jump electric cars are being marketed on their one strength, high torque from a standstill. Ie. 0-60 times. Which of course are better than legacy cars which take a second or two to get going. After that electric cars fail in all except less pollution. As in local pollution. Not saving the planet, which doesn't need saving.

Where exactly in the real world commute does or can one use 0-60? 

As an aside electric vehicles are supposed to be cheaper to manufacture. So are they cheaper than legacy cars? 

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, vinny41 said:

I guess we will have to wait and see as some experts dispute the 1000km figure

True. The article says "Tesla would have to far exceed what is currently thought possible". That's what Elon does best and Tesla has made important acquisitions and R&D into batteries and people are waiting to see this come to fruition. As of now there are just a lot of rumors and speculation swirling around about cost reductions, million mile batteries, new form factors, dry technology, quick charging, and more. Mark your calendars for battery day in April. Elon says the company's advancements will "blow people's minds". I am sure that statement will draw anger from certain people here and I love watching them squirm.

• Haha 2

More hot air.

What about the outer rural areas??

Wont happen in most areas of Thailand, only those sreas that have hi so...

Thai drive poorly maintained vehicles so what makes Thai want to buy electric vehicles?

Edited by Sonhia
Alteration

17 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

For crying out loud. So you are calling my colleague a liar ? Get out of here, It is downright ridiculous. Yes there are tesla cars that barely scratch 200KM on a single charge. It is pretty simple, I am relaying actual experiences of people, and I would like obnoxious and rude people like you to stop calling me a lair. Stop using the marketing range and use the actual range. My colleague was happy if he could do 200-210 KM on a single charge. AIrco off, radio off and all that sort of nonsense. I know it is easier to call people a liar if your bread and butter is the EV business. 

I and many others rely on actual user experiences, not on the marketing <deleted>. Good day to you, learn to be a bit more realistic and civil. 

Good link to read about range for the various Tesla models

https://teslike.com/range/

Note the comments regarding the EPA range predictions.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, canopy said:

No there are not and never have been. And for the 3rd time you need to learn that marketing does make up the range of a vehicle. The range of a vehicle is determined by the EPA. And real world range is furthermore certified by other non-biased, independent organizations across the world. The easiest way to debunk your mystery range is if it were true the number of class action lawsuits around the world would be out the roof. But there aren't.

It's a valid consideration. So buy an EV with sufficient range to go round trip without charging. And for some charging at the destination will become an increasingly useful and convenient option such as (but not limited to) shopping centers. hotels, and work places. I personally wouldn't want to ever waste time waiting around at charging stations, I mean who would? Everyone's usage is different, but for me the top end tesla pickup I could do a single charge at home once a month would suffice. Of course that's exciting.

My colleague who actually drove a tesla would strongly disagree, yes there are Tesla cars on the market that can barely scratch 200KM on a single charge. His current Audi A3 also barely touches 220 km on a single charge, and that's a brand new car. (or should I say not a real car). 

A single charge, once a month, you must not really drive very far. And that was my point many many posts ago. An EV makes sense for people that drive short distances, it does not make any sense for people that need endurance and flexibility. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

yes there are Tesla cars on the market that can barely scratch 200KM on a single charge

Ha ha ha, that is just so funny. Let me try to put this in perspective so you can see how foolish you look to the rest of us.

Oh yeah, by the way I have this "colleague" with this high end diesel car. According to him his car can't go more than 10km without refueling, not a meter more! He won't tell me the model or year of the car and that doesn't matter. Don't listen to anyone who says they are getting better range, just take my "colleague's" word for it the range of diesel sucks, 10km is it, did I mention 10km? And the range posted on the car is all made up by marketing. And for sure don't listen to consumer reports, the EPA, the AAA, or other people with the same car. Just listen to my "colleague" and understand you get no more than 10km of range, not a  meter more. <---THAT is how foolish you look. No one is gullible enough to believe you. The game is long over and yet there you are playing on with everyone wondering why you haven't noticed.

9 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

my point many many posts ago. An EV makes sense for people that drive short distances, it does not make any sense for people that need endurance and flexibility. 

Disagree. Yeah I drive 700km/month so I would only charge a pickup once a month at the comfort of my home overnight. A road warrior who drives 700km a day would charge once a day, overnight so again no inconveniences. Now a diesel pickup would be worse on these long daily drives because it couldn't make it and you'd have to plan in to divert to a gas station and fill up somewhere along the way. And also EVs don't need the frequent maintenance of changing belts, oil, water pumps, smog tests, and such so less down time, less inconveniences waiting at the shop. EVs make a whole lot of sense for people who do serious driving. Are there cases they don't? Sure, but those usage cases are falling year by year.

Another reason for driving an electric car is the environment and before you all start saying that electric cars are coal powered...

Electricity Generation by Fuel, in Thailand 2018 (Terawatt-hours)
Oil                  0.2   

Natural Gas  116.3  

Coal              35.8

Nuclear           0 

Hydro             7.6 

Renewables    17.8

Total             177.6

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Thailand

The capacity of non-hydro renewables may expand to 21% of Thailand’s total power capacity mix by 2028

https://sbr.com.sg/energy-offshore/asia/renewables-eat-21-thailands-energy-mix-2028

An electric car has got to be less polluting that what we see on the roads here in Thailand

a0c015a022c669d9b1336312ee8c83b5_small.j

17 hours ago, canopy said:

Ha ha ha, that is just so funny. Let me try to put this in perspective so you can see how foolish you look to the rest of us.

Oh yeah, by the way I have this "colleague" with this high end diesel car. According to him his car can't go more than 10km without refueling, not a meter more! He won't tell me the model or year of the car and that doesn't matter. Don't listen to anyone who says they are getting better range, just take my "colleague's" word for it the range of diesel sucks, 10km is it, did I mention 10km? And the range posted on the car is all made up by marketing. And for sure don't listen to consumer reports, the EPA, the AAA, or other people with the same car. Just listen to my "colleague" and understand you get no more than 10km of range, not a  meter more. <---THAT is how foolish you look. No one is gullible enough to believe you. The game is long over and yet there you are playing on with everyone wondering why you haven't noticed.

Disagree. Yeah I drive 700km/month so I would only charge a pickup once a month at the comfort of my home overnight. A road warrior who drives 700km a day would charge once a day, overnight so again no inconveniences. Now a diesel pickup would be worse on these long daily drives because it couldn't make it and you'd have to plan in to divert to a gas station and fill up somewhere along the way. And also EVs don't need the frequent maintenance of changing belts, oil, water pumps, smog tests, and such so less down time, less inconveniences waiting at the shop. EVs make a whole lot of sense for people who do serious driving. Are there cases they don't? Sure, but those usage cases are falling year by year.

Why is that foolish ? The link provided a few posts up, quite clearly shows that the ranges are within what I am relaying. And those ranges are without taking battery degradation into acount. Yes I have never asked him exactly what model he drove, We get it, actual accounts of people do not count, only the ranges reported by manufacturers count. As my colleague rightly calls, the "marketing range".  The only people that look silly are the ones that believe the marketing <deleted> and discard actual real life experiences of actual people. 

Of course you disagree, but what do you know, you only drive 700 KM a month. Where is that 700 KM range car I wonder, in the link not one came even close, maybe you should read that link, it might open your eyes a bit more. Imagine I have to drive my colleague's car and drive to Lyon, instead of about 8 hours with one five minute stop, it would take me quite a bit more, as after about every 200 KM I have to stop for at least half an hour to recharge. 

The diesel divert is the most silly thing you keep uttering, aren't you aware that there are gas stations right along the highway ? In fact, in France, finding a gas station right along the highway is much more likely than finding a supercharger along that very same highway. 

Thanks for the continued laughs though, nothing more hillarious than people dicarding real life experiences and as sheep recounting the markting <deleted>. 

Edited by sjaak327