Bangkok 24th worst city for air quality

rooster59

Bangkok 24th worst city for air quality

By THE NATION

800_0049eb96c2816bf.jpg

Bangkok was ranked the 24th worst city in the world for air quality as of 7.20am on Saturday (February 22).

Reading on the application ‘Air Visual’ showed the Thai calital's average pollution level at 144.

The air situation is much worse in Chiang Mai, with average pollution level of 157, making it the 12th worst city for air quality.

The amount of particulate matter less than 2.5 microns in diameter (PM2.5) in Bangkok and Chiang Mai was at 41 and 66.7 micrograms per cubic metre respectively.

According to the Air Quality Index (AQI), air quality between 0 to 50 is healthy, 51 to 100 is moderate, 101 to 150 is unhealthy for sensitive groups, 151 to 200 is unhealthy, 201 to 300 is very unhealthy, and 301 to 500 is dangerous.

Meanwhile, the Pollution Control Department informed via the website Air4thai.pcd.go.th that at 8am on Saturday the air quality in Bangkok and nearby provinces was at moderate to unhealthy levels.

PM2.5 dust particles were at between 46 to 69 micrograms per cubic metre. The areas with high pollution levels were: Bangkhuntian, Bangkapi, Pathumwan, Lat Phrao, Din Daeng, Phya Thai, Wangthonglang, as well as Nakhon Pathom, Pathum Thani and Samut Prakarn provinces.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382625

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-23

Long term respiratory problems from Air Pollution, please. 

Once the CoVid-19 virus reduces the population in half, air pollution from vehicles, coal-fired power plants, and crop burning will also be halved as demand is reduced.

Win-win for those of us still alive!?

Peace✌️

• Like 1

20/24 in the 'top' list are in Asia ...

Purely indicative, I guess. Where you rank could depend on the time of day the measures are made, and the local weather at the time (wind, rain ... ).

Edited by mfd101
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

It's weird, yesterday we had hard wind but also very dirty air....i thought the wind would blow it away but it didn't.

Was thinking the same thing yesterday and today. Great early morning breezes and low temps out here in Phra Khanong, yet the city landscape was still cloaked in dirty air. There's just little or no respite from pollution sources. 

4 hours ago, Youlike said:

It's weird, yesterday we had hard wind but also very dirty air....i thought the wind would blow it away but it didn't.

The air that is blowing in is just as dirty as the air blown out is my guess

I've been in Bangkok for 5 days now and the air has been bad every day with the sky very hazy.  We arrived from Pattaya with a shiny, clean car and it now has a layer of dirt on it--even though it has been mostly garaged.   I think Bangkok is much higher than 24.  

Surprised Khaoshiung in Taiwan is 21st , even being on the list at all . Not a big city and on the coast near the southern tip of the Island . Always a lovely sea breeze when I've been there . I'm suspicious of the accuracy of this list .

On 2/25/2020 at 1:06 AM, gimo said:

Surprised Khaoshiung in Taiwan is 21st , even being on the list at all . Not a big city and on the coast near the southern tip of the Island . Always a lovely sea breeze when I've been there . I'm suspicious of the accuracy of this list .

I agree it is not very accurate, it is just a snap shot at 7.20am on Saturday (February 22), hence dependent on just 1 day.

Surely a more accurate way of presenting this topic would be to average rankings out over a month or more.