Hundreds join protest against ban of opposition party in Thailand

rooster59

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Call it what you like, but it's in charge, peace has been restored, and students should be studying for their exams anyway, or they'll fail them and their futures will be extinguished. 

Call it what you like? Peace been restored? I do not you learn anything about history and movements. As the older generations fade newer generations emerge and no matter what and when things do change no matter where you go. Revolutions have been around for generations and they are formed when the new get tired of the old. This not like in the US where movements are hardly formed and the people are not scared of dying Thailand may have a hold on the situation for now but do they really just look around you. You can not say that thing here are peaceful.

1 hour ago, InsertNameHere said:

Call it what you like? Peace been restored? I do not you learn anything about history and movements. As the older generations fade newer generations emerge and no matter what and when things do change no matter where you go. Revolutions have been around for generations and they are formed when the new get tired of the old. This not like in the US where movements are hardly formed and the people are not scared of dying Thailand may have a hold on the situation for now but do they really just look around you. You can not say that thing here are peaceful.

But the old have all the guns, and all the cash, so don't hold your breath. 

Edited by dbrenn

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

But the old have all the guns, and all the cash, so don't hold your breath. 

this is true it only takes mass killings as you know thais do not care about dying it is the wealthy that care about death. Its like the saying a dog will bite back once it feels it is in danger. Whether or not changes will happen in or not in our lifetime the wealthy can not stay rich for ever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

I actually found the opposite in the first village I lived. I did several things, in a very low key manner and seemed it never ended well. I remember going to the temple one morning and seeing all the old ladies trudging up this mud road to get there. I suggested to my missus we chip in and order 3000-5000 baht of gravel to pave the road a bit. Maybe one of the local guys could get a couple of tractors, spread it around. People were holding their hand out everywhere. No one wanted to do anything unless I paid them, even people that were well off. I remember going to the local shop one time, couple of kids there, bought them an ice cream or something. The old grandmother got the huffs because she was older than the kids and I should show her respect and buy her something. She actually went to the fridge and selected an armful of stuff. Another time we took a couple of kids lived across the road to the markets. Parents weren't home for days sometimes and they spent a lot of time at our house. Boy 6 and girl 10. Bought them a couple of pairs of shoes each. Turns out the parents thought we were treating them as poor because why didn't we think they could buy shoes for their kids. Another time I suggested we buy another lady a gas burner, told my wife tell her come and tell us when she needs a refill and Ill take care of it. She was working her farm 14 hours a day then coming home looking for wood to make a fire and cook. Her husband thought I was trying it on with her. Offered the guy next door some really nice shirts and shorts I didn't fit any more. All were like near new, some where new. he had about 2 pairs of shorts and shirts to his name. He asked my girl why we not give him new. I don't know how many times people came with us to the city or local town and bought them lunch. They'd order 4 dishes each, eat 1/4 of it and not even take the rest home. Always left a sour taste in my mouth. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. It's just what I experienced and it was very disheartening.

In all cases it wasn't like me being the big bwana throwing money around or making a big deal. I like you could just see areas where for so little money you could make peoples lives easier or help make someone happy. But you make one person happy and another jealous or envious. My Mrs was born and raised in the village and even she didn't understand it. A Thai teacher I knew told me later Thais, particularly village Thais don't understand a charitable act. If you give someone something for no reason they think you either want something in return or you are stupid. 

I can understand that. We had a similar problem with one particular family and the more we helped the more they wanted, so in the end my wife just cut them off. it was a shame really as the husband (her third or fourth I think) is a really nice guy and a hard worker. My wife tells me that he split up with her and left her with the 4 kids (only the youngest was his) and we rarely see him any more. She has started sniffing around again but if she wants, she pays,

9 minutes ago, InsertNameHere said:

this is true it only takes mass killings as you know thais do not care about dying it is the wealthy that care about death. Its like the saying a dog will bite back once it feels it is in danger. Whether or not changes will happen in or not in our lifetime the wealthy can not stay rich for ever. 

Sadly they and their families will stay rich forever, but when you die all the money in the world can't go with you.

11 minutes ago, InsertNameHere said:

The rich may have a lot of the guns but the Army is about 50% conscripts but if you put them into a position where they may have to kill their grannies, Mum, Dad, and their siblings, I certainly wouldn't like to be the one who orders open fire.

That is one reason why you will never see Thai generals anywhere near the action.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I can understand that. We had a similar problem with one particular family and the more we helped the more they wanted, so in the end my wife just cut them off. it was a shame really as the husband (her third or fourth I think) is a really nice guy and a hard worker. My wife tells me that he split up with her and left her with the 4 kids (only the youngest was his) and we rarely see him any more. She has started sniffing around again but if she wants, she pays,

Yes there were a few other instances too....one where I drove a woman and her sick kid 60km round trip to the hospital, bought medication. Happy to help and of course didn't expect anything in return. Next day she was at the front of our home selling some weeds she had harvested from the river to my missus for 20 baht. I asked my Mrs about it and she just smiled.

Another time some official was coming to the area, and the head man asked that everyone tidy up the front of their "homes". Ridiculous really and I am sure no offical would have been coming to our part of the moo ban but anyway. I had a strimmer and lawn mower so I cleared in front of about 6 of the neighbours houses. Not one said even thank you except the lady next door who bought me a coke and a big thank you, which made it all worth while. Apart from the greedy ones trying to take advantage I just think they don't know what to make of anyone doing them a good turn. In fact not only do they not say thank you they seem to try and avoid you lol 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nahkit said:

Did I say that everyone has a fridge?

I was replying to the post from Britmantoo who wrote:-

" Electricity is free, as she only uses a fridge and a few lights. "

If you use less than 50 units a month it's free.

IN 2009 when I first arrived in CM, I lived in a gf's house out beyond Hang Dong, no aircon, just fridge, Tv, lights.

Every other month we got free electricity, without the TV it would have been free every month..

https://www.pier.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/pier_dp_087.pdf

"This study evaluates the performance of Thailand’s Free Basic Electricity (FBE) program"

Edited by BritManToo

34 minutes ago, InsertNameHere said:

Only the wealthy care about death? Don't kid yourself. I was (foolishly)  in Ratchadamnoen Avenue in Black May 1992. Everyone ran for their lives when the shooting started.

16 hours ago, dbrenn said:

In the western world:

Apprenticeships: gone - nowadays half the population gets up to its eyeballs studying for degrees that are useless in the real world

Working poor: the western world has lots of those. Try living on a minimum wage when your minimum pay will never make end meet and you get into a cycle of payday debt

Education: dumbed down by lefties who abhor selective schooling and insists on prizes for all - see "Apprenticeships" above

Retirement: try living on a state pension over there - old people freeze to death because they can't pay their greenie-inflated power bills ...... but that's why you're in Thailand, right?

I tend not take anybody seriously who can't be bothered to read all the posts in a thread to keep themselves updated, you apparently fall into that category ????

I previously answered a comment on UK pensioners , and my residence status, you are well out of touch. Also apprenticeships are back in vogue in the UK, you really gotta learn to keep up.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 473geo said:

I tend not take anybody seriously who can't be bothered to read all the posts in a thread to keep themselves updated, you apparently fall into that category ????

I previously answered a comment on UK pensioners , and my residence status, you are well out of touch. Also apprenticeships are back in vogue in the UK, you really gotta learn to keep up.

Huh? I have to trawl through each and every post you make? What a funny thing to suggest.

Fact is that Thailand is not such a bad place. And to suggest that the west is any better is nonsense. 

11 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Huh? I have to trawl through each and every post you make? What a funny thing to suggest.

Fact is that Thailand is not such a bad place. And to suggest that the west is any better is nonsense. 

Again as you have not bothered to read my comments fully, or failed miserably to understand them, you are not capable of having a sensible discussion. Bye

See when I read your thread about your citizenship some years ago now, I noted you did not relinquish the citizenship of your country of birth, that struck me as bit indecisive considering the effort you put in to become a Thai citizen.

Edited by 473geo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 473geo said:

Again as you have not bothered to read my comments fully, or failed miserably to understand them, you are not capable of having a sensible discussion. Bye

See when I read your thread about your citizenship some years ago now, I noted you did not relinquish the citizenship of your country of birth, that struck me as bit indecisive considering the effort you put in to become a Thai citizen.

Why on earth would I relinquish something that I'm perfectly entitled to keep? have you ever heard of dual and multiple nationality? Lots of people have it, as it confers freedom to live and work in different places.

And no, I just don't have time to read your entire posting history. Hence my answer only to your specific comments where you denigrated Thailand in favour of places that are no better, and worse in many cases.

On 2/24/2020 at 7:12 PM, billd766 said:

The rich may have a lot of the guns but the Army is about 50% conscripts but if you put them into a position where they may have to kill their grannies, Mum, Dad, and their siblings, I certainly wouldn't like to be the one who orders open fire.

That is one reason why you will never see Thai generals anywhere near the action.

That's only a minor reason, the real reason has something to do with no-balls. 

• Haha 1

On 2/24/2020 at 7:29 PM, BritManToo said:

If you use less than 50 units a month it's free.

IN 2009 when I first arrived in CM, I lived in a gf's house out beyond Hang Dong, no aircon, just fridge, Tv, lights.

Every other month we got free electricity, without the TV it would have been free every month..

https://www.pier.or.th/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/pier_dp_087.pdf

"This study evaluates the performance of Thailand’s Free Basic Electricity (FBE) program"

Did your girlfriend have to register as being a low-income family in order to receive the benefit described in the pdf?

I just paid 3 electricity bills yesterday, two of them had less than 50 units of use but I still had to pay. In fact, one bill showed 0 units as having been consumed but I had to pay the tax on the monthly service fee (but not the monthly service fee). 

1 hour ago, nahkit said:

Did your girlfriend have to register as being a low-income family in order to receive the benefit described in the pdf?

I just paid 3 electricity bills yesterday, two of them had less than 50 units of use but I still had to pay. In fact, one bill showed 0 units as having been consumed but I had to pay the tax on the monthly service fee (but not the monthly service fee). 

Nope, we did nothing, the bill turned up as normal with all the usual itemised items, then at the bottom, payment due 0.00bht. I think you have to be on the right meter.

Edited by BritManToo

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Nope, we did nothing, the bill turned up as normal with all the usual itemised items, then at the bottom, payment due 0.00bht. I think you have to be on the right meter.

Got a feeling it is only rural areas