Hundreds join protest against ban of opposition party in Thailand

rooster59

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Hopefully, this will grow to millions in the streets. That is what is needed to get rid of the hapless, and incredibly imcompetent generals once and for all. They need to be shown the door, by the people. The sooner the better. They have no understanding of democracy, and have no desire for the people to be represented fairly. The youth will rise up, and inspire a massive movement, hopefully. It is the only hope this nation has. The army is moving the country backwards, at a stunning pace. 

Like you i hope for change

But the problem as i see it is the army is in total control of the government so the future is bleak 

One other small question who or what is in control of the army..yes we all know the answer but that is the true stumbling block in the countries progress.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

US, EU and other major countries have condemned the last coup too. And the coup before.

Did that change anything?

The only outcome is "farang no understand thai culture" and "so what, let's strenghten our ties to our true friend China".

How that working out for them?

6 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Are you suggesting the army are good for the people and the nation? That would be quite a novel concept. 

Well, look at what happened in places like Libya and Iraq when army rule was overthrown, aided and abetted by the meddling western world, arrogantly imposing our liberal lefty ideas and expecting a utopian outcome. Hundreds of thousands died, and are still dying. You never know where these meddling interventions will lead.

Sometimes the status quo is not such a bad thing.

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

Do you or the majority work for the equivalent of 300 baht per day in your country?

Can you put a roof over your head for 2,000 Baht a month in the west, and do your family help you in your old age when the state doesn't care and puts you in an institution to die alone?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Are you suggesting the army are good for the people and the nation? That would be quite a novel concept. 

I would suggest that it is more stable (and less corrupt) than some previous alternatives.................

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I do not know why the USA poking their already soiled nose in other countries politics and internal affairs,the same goes to the E.U.

Sort out your own domestic problems before telling others what to do.

Let the Thai sort their own issues and stop meddling. 

To those who do not like it move else where. 

' to those who do not like it move else where'. That's what Trump is saying. But I did move to Thailand - and no - I don't feel like moving again. 555

• Like 1

As far as Im concerned up to the Thais to sort out themselves. From a personal perspective am in two minds. I mean no one obeys the few laws they have here now. How on earth could you seriously govern these people? Be like herding cats.

While corruption is endemic here there is no chance of any government doing any good apart from advancing themselves. The young future forward guy did seem to have some good ideas and seemed free from self interest already being a billionaire but who knows. I only know what I see in the media. Any real change in Thailand will only come from the younger generation and universities. The only people here feel passionate to stand up are younger people who have travelled. The rest don't know any better. In any case, I guess we all choose to live here because we like it and who is to say things are any better back home? Only lamenting today how far Australia has gone in the wrong direction and how good things used to be in "the good ole days" before the yuppies, hipsters and entitled, pontificating, self righteous do gooders took over. We haven't had a real leader since Hawke Howard era and yes we have a vote, but what is the choice? The lesser of two <deleted>. It is nearly impossible to do anything in Australia now business wise. So many rules, licenses, insurances etc. 

In many ways Thailand reminds me of how things were back in Australia maybe 50 years ago. I remember people building homes. Start with the garage, move in and live in there whilst they built the rest of the house. Nowadays kids want a 5 bedroom dream home with all the trimmings and new furniture straight out the gate. On credit of course. I am buggered if I know. 

• Like 1

the problem in Thailand has always been that inertia wins. Whether it's not jailing members of the elite fot murder, or making Black Panther soup. altho' 6 million voted for the FFP, there will be such a small % who will protest. But some will and if the party reinvents itself, it will return to hold a powerful place in the political scene. The youth and independent-minded have tasted the power of the ballot box - and you can't make them forget, no matter how much helicopter money you throw at them. The silver lining for expats is that the Thai baht will collapse in due course and your pension money will be worth something again. ''always look on the bright side of life''.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Well, look at what happened in places like Libya and Iraq when army rule was overthrown, aided and abetted by the meddling western world, arrogantly imposing our liberal lefty ideas and expecting a utopian outcome. Hundreds of thousands died, and are still dying. You never know where these meddling interventions will lead.

Sometimes the status quo is not such a bad thing.

It certainly is a bad thing in Thailand, where the voice of the majority is simply ignored for no good reason other than self interest and wanting to rule the country as they see fit. Nothing more and nothing less. Even after almost 6 years of relevant evidence, some people are still in the dark, amazing, Dumb deaf and blind. 

Edited by sjaak327

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

It certainly is a bad thing in Thailand, where the voice of the majority is simply ignored for no good reason other than self interest and wanting to rule the country as they see fit. Nothing more and nothing less. Even after almost 6 years of relevant evidence, some people are still in the dark, amazing, Dumb deaf and blind. 

So what happened in places like Libya, Ukraine, Iraq, etc, is better?

They got their precious democracy, right? 

Edited by dbrenn
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Only hundreds,I think if this had of happened in lots of other

countries around the World, protests would have been much

more supported,much more.

And that is why nothing will change.

• Like 1

Just now, dbrenn said:

No idea, this is THAI visa, so the subject is not those countries you mentioned. Anyone still claiming military rule in Thailand worked to it's advantage is dreaming. The facts quite clearly suggest otherwise, on pretty much all levels. It is high time these people are sent to prison, where they belong. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dbrenn said:

In Ukraine it is much better now.  

There is no country in this world with a population that for the majority consists of Muslims AND where there is a normal democracy, without oppression of minorities, corruption etc. 

2 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

In Ukraine it is much better now.  

There is no country in this world with a population that for the majority consists of Muslims AND where there is a normal democracy, without oppression of minorities, corruption etc. 

Normal democracy? The Maidan protests were joined by thugs sporting nazi regalia and salutes, overthrowing a democratically elected government with one (sponsored by the meddling west) that was soon up to its axles in corruption.

The point I'm making is that the west has lots of its own faults and should stop meddling in places that it has no understanding of.

6 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I do not know why the USA poking their already soiled nose in other countries politics and internal affairs,the same goes to the E.U.

Sort out your own domestic problems before telling others what to do.

Let the Thai sort their own issues and stop meddling. 

To those who do not like it move else where. 

Oohhhh, I say! Straight from the heart, lol.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Normal democracy? The Maidan protests were joined by thugs sporting nazi regalia and salutes, overthrowing a democratically elected government with one (sponsored by the meddling west) that was soon up to its axles in corruption.

The point I'm making is that the west has lots of its own faults and should stop meddling in places that it has no understanding of.

What of Thai people? who are being subjected to the same 'stop meddling' approach from their own 'government' ? a twenty year 'plan' inflicted? What of them? Suck it up?

Yes Citizen Brenn, I think we can take it you are not handicapped by lack of progress, or struggling to survive in your adopted country. Perhaps you could try dropping to the 500 baht a month pension to align with many of your compatriots? then come back to us in a few months to inform us just how good life is for Thai pensioner

• Like 1

3 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

The unbelievable gall of other nations pointing their fingers when they are guilty of so many injustices perpetrated across the world for centuries, ironic that usually the biggest finger pointers are usually the biggest hypocrites. This clown wanted to replace the monarchy with himself, lol..

Gor blimey guvner. Wot you on abaht?

6 hours ago, PatOngo said:

One big downside, look who has the guns!

And they're forewarned. They know their hold on power has become tenuous. A snake in a corner is much more dangerous that one who can run away (or should that be 'slither away'?)

Interesting few years in store, but don't expect Thais to stand on principle and force a conflict. Won't happen.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Not sure to what or whom you are referring to, the previous coup mongers ? Well, they didn't stay on for so long, and they didn't re-write the constitution in such a way that it would give them carte blanche. Both were illegal, but the lengths at which the current lot went is miles away from the previous lot. 

Both are wrong, in a democracy, you need to respect the way people vote, even if it doesn't go your way. This latest action just highlights how those people disrespect their fellow countrymen. Do you honestly believe the way Prayuth's party was funded is entirely legal. Pigs fly and all of that. 

This is the beginning of the end for Prayuth. I never thought he was so stupid as to persue this avenue. Yet he did. I give it half a year before it all come crashing down on him. Som nam naa.

Seems there is already someone in the wings with the right backing starting to make a few noises.... 

Time will tell

Edited by Artisi
  • Like 1