Hundreds join protest against ban of opposition party in Thailand

rooster59

18 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

Not sure to what or whom you are referring to, the previous coup mongers ? Well, they didn't stay on for so long, and they didn't re-write the constitution in such a way that it would give them carte blanche. Both were illegal, but the lengths at which the current lot went is miles away from the previous lot. 

Both are wrong, in a democracy, you need to respect the way people vote, even if it doesn't go your way. This latest action just highlights how those people disrespect their fellow countrymen. Do you honestly believe the way Prayuth's party was funded is entirely legal. Pigs fly and all of that. 

This is the beginning of the end for Prayuth. I never thought he was so stupid as to persue this avenue. Yet he did. I give it half a year before it all come crashing down on him. Som nam naa.

People were forecasting the demise of army rule pre-2006 too.

The rest is history. 

Just now, dbrenn said:

People were forecasting the demise of army rule pre-2006 too.

The rest is history. 

Well, they stepped down and voila, Thaksin back at the helm. The only reason the army is in charge is not because they are wanted by the Thai people, it is because they are forcing themselves on the Thai population. The very population they are sworn to protect !

Anyone still condoning their interference is as criminal as the army. It will eventually happen, just as Thailand got rid of absolute monarchy, they will get rid of the militairy meddling in things they have no comprehension off. History the world over has taught us, it will happen, even in Thailand. when that day comes, Thailand can finally advance, instead of being stuck in time. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 473geo said:

What of Thai people? who are being subjected to the same 'stop meddling' approach from their own 'government' ? a twenty year 'plan' inflicted? What of them? Suck it up?

Yes Citizen Brenn, I think we can take it you are not handicapped by lack of progress, or struggling to survive in your adopted country. Perhaps you could try dropping to the 500 baht a month pension to align with many of your compatriots? then come back to us in a few months to inform us just how good life is for Thai pensioner

I don't understand this post. What are you talking about, and what makes you believe that progress is always a good thing? It's wrought havoc on most places. 

3 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

I don't understand this post. What are you talking about, and what makes you believe that progress is always a good thing? It's wrought havoc on most places. 

It is certain that if the Thai had remained in the wood cart pulled by a buffalo there would not be 25 to 30,000 dead on the road each year.

473geo is talking to you about something you don't seem to know:
the royal monthly pension granted to the old peasants.
Explain to me how a 70 year old farmer can survive on 500 baht per month ...
600 baht from the age of 80.

4 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

No it didn't. You need to go back and study history. WIth an open mind. Not sure I can take any more lies, because that's what you are doing, spreading lies. There are almost no examples of societies where people prospererd under a dictatorship, and ample examples of societies that prospered under democracy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Is democracy really best for Thailand? It doesn't really work that well in the western world, where all the parties share the same liberal left dogma, chasing this and that fad, while large segments of the population have no representation at all.

Thailand is a conservative country, and wants to stay that way, thankfully.

Thailand could quite easily stay / or have stayed a conservative country, unfortunately the power brokers can not understand that their need to "rule" could quite easily have been maintained while driving the country forward with the people behind them - but that requires intelligence - something completely lacking by the current "mob". 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I am nine years old, and nearly ten. My name is Ari, and I am from Thailand. I am writing this email to you for my father who is fighting for his rights.

Not sure a billionaire needs to fight for any rights, that's usually down to poor people.

I thought democracy was about poor people getting seats at the big boys table.

These days it appears only rich folk that attended private school get a say.

Edited by BritManToo

1 hour ago, dbrenn said:

Is democracy really best for Thailand? It doesn't really work that well in the western world, where all the parties share the same liberal left dogma, chasing this and that fad, while large segments of the population have no representation at all.

Thailand is a conservative country, and wants to stay that way, thankfully.

It works perfectly well in the western world. There is no question or doubt. To answer your question, it is imperative that Democracy in Thailand gets a chance to prove itself. That means that all people have to stick with the choice being made at election time. But several times we have seen the army step in, negate out those election results just on a whim. When that same military took power, we have seen rampant corruption and plain illegal practices that made the party forced out of power look like toddlers. 

I honestly cannot believe that a sane person is ignoring the plain evidence, in all instances, the people that replaced the legitimate democratically elected governments where leagueges worse than then the people they replaced. They have absolutely no leg to stand on. 

It boggles the mind how anyone can still say that people subjected to checks and balances could be possibly worse than people that make their own laws, unopposed. I don't think one could actually be more stupid than this. Utter and utter stupidity. Wake the hell up. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

And they're forewarned. They know their hold on power has become tenuous. A snake in a corner is much more dangerous that one who can run away (or should that be 'slither away'?)

Interesting few years in store, but don't expect Thais to stand on principle and force a conflict. Won't happen.

You need to understand a majority percentage of the army young Isaan guys. Where do you think their allegiances would be?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

In a democracy, I agree with you;
but in under a military dictatorial regime; it is not for him that he fights but for his generation and especially that of his children.

He's just another pig trying to force his snout in the trough IMHO.

And pretending his 9yo daughter wrote to the UN is beyond contempt.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

He's just another pig trying to force his snout in the trough IMHO.

And pretending his 9yo daughter wrote to the UN is beyond contempt.

still... who's to know the 'letter' isn't the product of a savvy Internet Forum dude? 

- and the target subsequently went along for the ride

45 minutes ago, dbrenn said:

Well I call lifting the population out of the poverty trap into a reasonable existence where their labours are justly rewarded, progress, and a good thing. I await your update on the current governments 'progress' over the 6 years of tenure, regarding this topic

Progress to my mind would also be to have a vibrant economy where the pension for the elderly is enough to enjoy the autumn of their lives, as many in western countries do. I await your update on the 'progress' this government has made during their 6 years of tenure regarding the future benefits for the working population that they may not end up in the same situation as their grand parents and parents. a decent pension would ease the stress and burden on the young people.

You criticise 'western democracy' but the voter has the opportunity to demand change and even take the government to an impartial court in attempts to do so. this allows for progress and a continued check on government responsibility to the people.

I enjoy Thailand and understand progress will not all arrive on the same day. I enjoy the family unit set up, and would hope that factor is not sacrificed in the name of progress, I like the rural self sufficiency model but this is at risk without due care and attention. 

Investment in rural areas and support for agriculture is crucial for Thailand to remain a community based country, the cities offer little but economic slavery to the inhabitants. The economic planning will dictate the future, the rural landscape and the support of agriculture, and development of minor industry in rural areas will define a future where Thai people eat 'cake' or rice. I await your update on the progress this government has made in the 6 year tenure so far completed.

As you can see havoc need not be created just working towards an improved lifestyle for all.

You will also note I have spared you the 'education' topic, although I believe there is room and a need for quality higher education, I also believe the average person benefits from 'apprenticeship' from a quality trainer. I would look for 'progress' in this area also

7 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I do not know why the USA poking their already soiled nose in other countries politics and internal affairs,the same goes to the E.U.

Sort out your own domestic problems before telling others what to do.

Let the Thai sort their own issues and stop meddling. 

To those who do not like it move else where. 

Where do you sugget the 6 million Thai citizens, who had their political voices taken away, move to?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Quite frankly I'd rather be a Thai pensioner living on 500bht/month living on my family farm, than a UK pensioner renting a bedsit (or in a care home) on 600 pounds a month.

Notwithstanding the fact you would be a lot skinnier and healthier in your dotage from all those years working and walking in the hot sun on minimal calories.

8 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Notwithstanding the fact you would be a lot skinnier and healthier in your dotage from all those years working and walking in the hot sun on minimal calories.

My MiL is bigger than an elephant.

Probably my fault for bunging her an extra 3k/month for looking after my son's farm.

She's so stupid she lied about her age (claimed she was younger) so missed out on two year's pension.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 2

Just now, BritManToo said:

Probably my fault for bunking her an extra 3k/month for looking after my son's farm.

Probably stashes 2000 in a straw basket and has kanom orgies with the other 1000.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the elderly in Thailand have a farm they can live on, food to eat and no worries about heating bills.

Which is already a step up from the elderly in the UK.

Quite frankly I'd rather be a Thai pensioner living on 500bht/month living on my family farm, than a UK pensioner renting a bedsit (or in a care home) on 600 pounds a month.

As a UK citizen I can honestly say my home country is pooh, and it's government is pooh.

Same for Thailand, but a bit less pooh than the UK, and a lot warmer.

Is BloJo (or May or Blair) better than CHa-Cha ...... not IMHO.

And if your country (and it's leaders) are so great, why are you living here?

No need to answer, I know .... pick and mix from .........

your leaders are poop, your women won't bang you, everything costs too much, and it's too bloody cold.

If you did have your own farm there is now way that you could live on 500 baht a month.

Out of that 500 baht you will spend for your electricity bill, you will have NO smart phone or internet at all, 500 baht /30 days means that you will HAVE to live on 17 baht per day for everything including food. Still think that you can do it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you did have your own farm there is now way that you could live on 500 baht a month.

Out of that 500 baht you will spend for your electricity bill, you will have NO smart phone or internet at all, 500 baht /30 days means that you will HAVE to live on 17 baht per day for everything including food. Still think that you can do it.

My son has his own farm, MiL lives on it.

Electricity is free, as she only uses a fridge and a few lights. (I used to get free leccy when I lived with a gf a few years back).

AIS unlimited internet and phone calls is 150bht/month. Affordable on almost any income, no lines in her village.

She grows her own rice, farm has 5 rai of sticky rice paddy, sometimes she'll help with the tobacco harvest (100bht/day).

She seems happy enough there, her daughter lives on the farm next door.

There are no shops, and she doesn't have any transport.

Mainly she eats what she grows, gathers and catches.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1