Hundreds join protest against ban of opposition party in Thailand

rooster59

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My son has his own farm, MiL lives on it.

Electricity is free, as she only uses a fridge and a few lights. (I used to get free leccy when I lived with a gf a few years back).

AIS unlimited internet and phone calls is 150bht/month. Affordable on almost any income, no lines in her village.

She grows her own rice, farm has 5 rai of sticky rice paddy, sometimes she'll help with the tobacco harvest (100bht/day).

She seems happy enough there, her daughter lives on the farm next door.

There are no shops, and she doesn't have any transport.

Mainly she eats what she grows, gathers and catches.

No way AIS offers you unlimited internet for a mere 150 baht, unless of course you make due with an appaling speed cap.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sjaak327 said:

No way AIS offers you unlimited internet for a mere 150 baht, unless of course you make due with an appaling speed cap.

4 Mbs ...... I didn't feel the need for the unlimited 10Mbs @200bht/month.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of the elderly in Thailand have a farm they can live on, food to eat and no worries about heating bills.

Which is already a step up from the elderly in the UK.

Quite frankly I'd rather be a Thai pensioner living on 500bht/month living on my family farm, than a UK pensioner renting a bedsit (or in a care home) on 600 pounds a month.

As a UK citizen I can honestly say my home country is pooh, and it's government is pooh.

Same for Thailand, but a bit less pooh than the UK, and a lot warmer.

Is BloJo (or May or Blair) better than CHa-Cha ...... not IMHO.

And if your country (and it's leaders) are so great, why are you living here?

No need to answer, I know .... pick and mix from .........

your leaders are poop, your women won't bang you, everything costs too much, and it's too bloody cold.

Thanks for the laugh

I understand you guys in Thailand require some sort of comfort in thinking every old person in the UK is destitute ????????

I have 4 siblings, everyone of them retired before 60 - 3 of them have 2 homes one spends half his year in his house in Spain

All carry pensions well in excess of 1000 GBP

all run their own vehicles, non are in care!!

I don't because I chose to travel, partied, and only in later life worked for companies that contributed to my private pension fund, but I will be just fine.

My experience of the UK is that it has been good to me and my relatives.

Your poor attempt to insult also fell on deaf ears, my family live in Thailand on money I earn in the UK - I see them as often as I can and yes we have a modest home, we farm and live alongside older relatives, so I know first hand how the elderly exist in Thailand.

I will only join my family permanently when my earning potential in the UK is expired, and I carry an income that allows me to arrive, live in Thailand full time, provide for my family and relax. all kindly provided for by a UK system that for me has worked.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I do not know why the USA poking their already soiled nose in other countries politics and internal affairs,the same goes to the E.U.

Sort out your own domestic problems before telling others what to do.

Let the Thai sort their own issues and stop meddling. 

To those who do not like it move else where. 

You're right Mickey.   Thailand can sell their US$38billion of exports elsewhere. 

Asked a Thai girlfriend why shy does not like her skin tanned.   She said she loved being tanned, but her Bangkok customers would not buy from her, as they prefer white skinned people.   My exwife had a similar experience working as a teacher in Thailand when her skin became less than fair.  

Moral of the story: if people pay you you just shut up and listen, unless you do not want them to pay you anymore. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, billd766 said:

If you did have your own farm there is now way that you could live on 500 baht a month.

Out of that 500 baht you will spend for your electricity bill, you will have NO smart phone or internet at all, 500 baht /30 days means that you will HAVE to live on 17 baht per day for everything including food. Still think that you can do it.

I still wonder if the guy you are replying to is a troll or someone who enjoys baiting everyone on this forum. because 90% of his posts don't make sense at all.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, Susco said:

I still wonder if the guy you are replying to is a troll or someone who enjoys baiting everyone on this forum. because 90% of his posts don't make sense at all.

Thats because evidently you dont have enough experience in SE Asia. Give it time, it will make more sense to you.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

Some of you guys have very little concept of village life. Many do actually live on amounts

500-1000 baht a month. Electricity last I heard if under 200 baht paid by the king. Food can virtually be free, enough to exist on anyway. They eat rats, frogs, rice. Most of their vegetables / herbs can be picked off the street or farm. They get enough rice to live by working the farms harvest season and get paid in rice. Lady across the road from me had a very small farm and her return was around 10K per year. She would supplement that with bits and pieces, local farm work etc but over and above living off the land, basically she might have a bit extra for motorbike gas, a bit of grog now and then and a few sauces for cooking. Many where I live couldn't even afford gas to cook. Wood fire

Yes, I agree there are many posters that appear to have very little idea about life in rural Thailand.

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Yes, I agree there are many posters that appear to have very little idea about life in rural Thailand.

I think there are many posters have never been past Chonburi ???????????? Like one of the posts I read today someone claiming Thai men look after the children when the wives go to work ????????????????

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Wood fire

As you ride out of Siem down Rt 63 towards the Tonle sap, the main drag so to speak, about 3 klicks from Pub Street, the epicenter of the Cambodian tourist industry, and indeed, their entire economy, you start seeing the woodpiles, and it isnt for heating. Think about that.

To the folks living waay out in nowhere, $1 is a lot of money and it goees a long way. Remember, these are communities, not just places to live. 

1 minute ago, Kenny202 said:

I think there are many posters have never been past Chonburi ???????????? Like one of the posts I read today someone claiming Thai men look after the children when the wives go to work ????????????????

School starts at 7:30am and ends after 4:30pm, why can't the wives take them to school and collect after?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

School starts at 7:30am and ends after 4:30pm, why can't the wives take them to school and collect after?

My first Mrs here bailed when my son was 3 months old. The Thais I knew just could not comprehend that a man could take care of a young child alone, in fact simply would not believe it. 

4 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

As far as Im concerned up to the Thais to sort out themselves. From a personal perspective am in two minds. I mean no one obeys the few laws they have here now. How on earth could you seriously govern these people? Be like herding cats.

While corruption is endemic here there is no chance of any government doing any good apart from advancing themselves. The young future forward guy did seem to have some good ideas and seemed free from self interest already being a billionaire but who knows. I only know what I see in the media. Any real change in Thailand will only come from the younger generation and universities. The only people here feel passionate to stand up are younger people who have travelled. The rest don't know any better. In any case, I guess we all choose to live here because we like it and who is to say things are any better back home? Only lamenting today how far Australia has gone in the wrong direction and how good things used to be in "the good ole days" before the yuppies, hipsters and entitled, pontificating, self righteous do gooders took over. We haven't had a real leader since Hawke Howard era and yes we have a vote, but what is the choice? The lesser of two <deleted>. It is nearly impossible to do anything in Australia now business wise. So many rules, licenses, insurances etc. 

In many ways Thailand reminds me of how things were back in Australia maybe 50 years ago. I remember people building homes. Start with the garage, move in and live in there whilst they built the rest of the house. Nowadays kids want a 5 bedroom dream home with all the trimmings and new furniture straight out the gate. On credit of course. I am buggered if I know. 

Kenny, your last paragraph resonated with me and is one of the reasons I love Thailand, the freedom to build your house how you like and to do what you want with your land.

In the UK you can hardly cross the road without checking a hundred rules and regulations. The country is strangled to death by bureaucracy. But it's a tiny country with a lot of people so it makes sense in one way.

But Australia is enormous, all that space! Now I know most of the population is straddled around the coast in cities, but surely you don't need the red tape and officialdom so prevalent in the UK?

38 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

I really do not understand if the law say on a traffic light if its red you shall stop, you must stop or pay the consequences.

Like or not, the party law has a clear instruction on financing a party, K. Thanathorn, broke the law and therefore his party is dismantled and he and his associates are banned from politics.

I really do not understand why K. Thanathorn shall be above the law!

The law doesn't have a clear instruction on financing a party. It doesn't say a loan is illegal, it says donations above 10 million baht are illegal but I believe loans are not mentioned specifically.

However, the judges argued that only those actions that are stipulated in the Act are legal, anything outside that is excluded, and is thus automatically illegal.

Make of it what you will.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Did you mean Voters or are you in Pattaya

You think the folks at the US embassy are talking out of their rectum?

https://th.usembassy.gov/statement-on-the-dissolution-of-the-future-forward-party-in-thailand/?fbclid=IwAR2JxMTZibPeDbuv-gidCyCcz4kv3IxMFqZqznrWPev_HhziIM5Sboch8x4

The United States strongly supports democratic governance around the world, and appreciates Thailand’s recent seating of a democratically elected government.  While the United States does not favor or support any particular political party in Thailand, more than six million voters chose the Future Forward Party in the March 24 elections

14 minutes ago, Susco said:

You think the folks at the US embassy are talking out of their rectum?

https://th.usembassy.gov/statement-on-the-dissolution-of-the-future-forward-party-in-thailand/?fbclid=IwAR2JxMTZibPeDbuv-gidCyCcz4kv3IxMFqZqznrWPev_HhziIM5Sboch8x4

The United States strongly supports democratic governance around the world, and appreciates Thailand’s recent seating of a democratically elected government.  While the United States does not favor or support any particular political party in Thailand, more than six million voters chose the Future Forward Party in the March 24 elections

More wondering where the 6 million 'voyers' are to be found and why they have been singled out for a mention ????

Edited by 473geo

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My MiL is bigger than an elephant.

Probably my fault for bunging her an extra 3k/month for looking after my son's farm.

She's so stupid she lied about her age (claimed she was younger) so missed out on two year's pension.

My MiL always made herself 10 years older. And she enjoyed the false compliments "Ohoooo - you look at least 20 years younger ...".

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The health ministry warned against public gatherings amid concerns over the coronavirus in Thailand, which has recorded 35 cases.

"A political gathering is not appropriate at this time and could increase risk of an outbreak," health official Tanarak Pipat said.

Following communication from the Thai government, the FIM, IRTA and Dorna Sports can confirm that the OR Thailand Grand Prix will go ahead next month.

"After consulting with the Ministry of Public Health's Department of Disease Control, the Sports Authority of Thailand has officially communicated, on behalf of the Royal Thai government, that there is no major risk, with the country having infected patients under care and strict preventive measures in place "

Seems to be some miscommunication between the departments within the health ministry?

The sheer hypocrisy of it all is astounding.