What happened to iglu and other BOI umbrella business visa programs.

Greetings everyone,

I work remotely as a programmer and been looking for solutions to my ongoing visa/work permit issues. Right now my solution is using the 6 month ME visa and just winging it is not something i like anymore. 

My last visit at the immigration was rather unpleasant after they rightfully asked me "Whare are you doing in Thailand". Honestly i'd like to be as legit as possible so i was reinvestigating the options people like me have. 

About a year ago i read about these umbrella companies like Iglu where you could give them a cut of your profits and they'd hire you and give you a business visa and work permit. I remember i had all the requirements back then and i do now but it seams like those programs are gone?! If not been wondering if i could get a business visa and permit for part time honestly every hour i'd work here would probably be a waste of time and money. If it's 30 hours or less maybe i could probably work for a company here possibly remotely. 

I'm hoping to find someone who has gone through this and maybe could shed some advice. 

Thanks in advance. 

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I appreciate your desire for an immigration option that directly addresses situations like yours. Frankly, for most people, there is no good solution. You could look into the Smart Visa system being promoted by the Board of Investment (see https://smart-visa.boi.go.th/smart/) but it is doubtful you will qualify.

If you are a US citizen, you might with the help of a good immigration lawyer be able to set something up using the Treaty of Amity, allowing you to work under your own sole proprietorship.

Some will undoubtedly suggest that you could set up a Thai limited company, employ a bunch of Thais, and this would allow you to legally work. That is not exactly incorrect, but I do not think the people suggesting it have any conception of the costs and administration involved in such a solution. I consider it a frankly ridiculous idea for an individual remote worker.

It is a good idea if you know what you are doing. Employ Thai programmers just out of university, train them, get more work done, so you have a real business. Most freelancers claim to have a business but have no business sense.

Edited by FritsSikkink

shelter.global is the new IGLU replacement apparently.

You didn't indicate if your business if offshore and/or you have customers in Thailand.

If you're just a CEO (receiving only dividends, not salary!) managing his foreign company that has only foreign customers and no Thai bank accounts, then you don't need a business visa or WP (nor you qualify for them). In that case, it would be cheaper and easier to get Elite Visa.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, redpill17 said:

Someone recommended it in the other thread.

I don't know if it's legit. Everyone is anonymous on this forum ????

The poster who 'recommended' this company, ChiangMaiNomad, has a total of 4 posts on this forum, all of which are promoting that company.

Like I said, that website is bogus, as is the motives of that poster.