Death Certificate

I was somewhat surprised that a search got no results.  So, I am wondering what the process is to obtain a death certificate for a farang?  My family will hopefully not need to do that for a long time yet, but knowing what to expect seems like good preparation.

I have completed wills both in the states and for Thailand assets and thinking both would need a death certificate to activate.  I assume the US embassy would be involved at some point, but wanted to check here first if anyone knows how things work.

Cheers

For an Australian the local embassy will ask for a PM to be done before they will accept a death certificate.  They notify a number of government departments (including Centrelink) when they are notified of the death a citizen.  I would expect most embassies would follow a similar procedure.

• Confused 1

Thanks for replies.  I also checked the embassy website and got more information:
https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/death-of-a-u-s-citizen/#collapse9

The "next-of-kin" situation seems like it would be good to have in Thailand.  So, if we get a "court house" (or Thai equivalent) marriage, that should take care of that, right?  And, I already have a Thai will leaving my Thai assets to my partner so I don't think my US Will would be required or necessary for anything here.  (?)

Anybody know... If my Thai wife dies before me, would I be next-of-kin and have any "rights" associated in that case?

Thanks

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Anybody know... If my Thai wife dies before me, would I be next-of-kin and have any "rights" associated in that case?

If your marriage was registered at an Amphoe you would be her next of kin.

Such things have been discussed on either of the forums under this heading. MARRIAGE AND FAMILY

• Thanks 1