I want to buy land in koh Tao

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

Either google in Thai and english but best to go in person to the nearest city or town and Koh Tao itself to talk to local realtors and people in general and look for signs for sale people put up...

thanks, that's what I was thinking too.  I think I need to get my wife to negotiate.  She isn't that good at doing that that though, but I'll train her!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I know it's obvious but make sure the land has proper papers. I get offers every now and then but when I ask for the papers it's all "word of mouth contracts". The whole village and surrounding fields where I live are on public land! It might work between Thai but I would not take the risk. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I know it's obvious but make sure the land has proper papers. I get offers every now and then but when I ask for the papers it's all "word of mouth contracts". The whole village and surrounding fields where I live are on public land! It might work between Thai but I would not take the risk. 

yeah and i am not sure any land on koh tao is chanote land

might want to check that - just go to local land office with the land paper of the land you are proposing to buy and they will tell you the current status of the plot

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Old Fool said:

I have a thai wife so...

Question why do you want to buy land? No matter how you spin it no FOREIGNER legally cannot buy any land here. Why play Russian roulette with the government with lawyers and loop holes just to gain land? It always is still under a thai national. Now, if you are doing it for children or family issues then do it the legal way with your wife? When the government cracks down on the foreigners who are trying to do what the thai government does not want foreigners owning anything here. These law are put there cause of this very thing and change as the foreigner finds loop holes to go around or bend the rules to suit them. But, what do I know as I am just a guy living life here without wanting to bring attention or look for ways around the system. If and when I can no longer be here I will simply leave out of no control of my own. It is always the foreigner changes in the system not the thai wanting to make life hard for the honest couple. 

• Like 1

In my wife's village down south there are no chanotes all Por bor Tor 5. There has never been a problem and yes there are farang paid for houses there . The facts are a farang CAN never own land what ever way you dress it up trying loop holes and if your relationship goes tits up your out the door anyway and walk away .  

If your Thai wife talks to the village headman and the person selling the land and make an agreement go get it measured probably and marked and leave the map with village head. Thats how the Thais do it and a title deed is not worth the paper its written on as a farang " never invest money that you can not walk away from" thats the golden rule.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paddypower said:

1. easy way is to buy in your wife's and don't worry until its too late.

2. same as #1, but register a lease or an usfruct in your name. one of the Thai law firms advertsing here offer a legally solid contract, for a reasonable price. You can fill it in yourself. 

A  userfruct is easily done at the land office SIMPLY  by the owner requesting that your name is added to the Chanote (it is typewritten in )  with the term of the usurfruct .  Mine is for life .

Being a farang is not a problem when doing this.  Easiest done at time of transfer to new owner (your wife in this case)

Land cannot be sold, used, or whatever without you agreeing .  In Thai this is called a sitthi gep gin .        no lawyers needed   

NOTE:   as with anything done here,  if there is trouble later you will possibly have problems.

But "legally"  the owner of a usurfruct has control of the land

• Thanks 2

The last time I've been to Koh Tao is about 20 yrs ago ... at this time there was no Chanote land , all land was government land , they just issued these ' green " land papers to the people living there .

May be that has changed ?

Check very well that you will get a real Chanote of at least Nor Sor 3 Kor , before buying .

19 hours ago, steven100 said:

Koh Tao also known as death island .... be careful

Farangs are literally dying to go to Koh Tao.

Don't understand the island mentality. 

You're literally stuck there going around in circles. 

The local women are ugly (inbreeding).

Everything is imported and costs more. 

Everything is inferior except the beaches and air quality.

Nice place to visit, but...

Edited by SiSePuede419
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1