I want to buy land in koh Tao

On 2/23/2020 at 7:27 AM, Old Fool said:

thanks, that's what I was thinking too.  I think I need to get my wife to negotiate.  She isn't that good at doing that that though, but I'll train her!

Unless your wife's family name rings true with the local mafia you are signing your own death warrant. I know an owner there.

15 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Farangs are literally dying to go to Koh Tao.

Don't understand the island mentality. 

You're literally stuck there going around in circles. 

The local women are ugly (inbreeding).

Everything is imported and costs more. 

Everything is inferior except the beaches and air quality.

Nice place to visit, but...

Not nearly as good as Koh Kood, in my opinion.

6 hours ago, khunPer said:

That is Koh Nangyouan, and you cannot live there, but you can rent a honeymoon bungalow for a couple of nights. Koh Nangyouan is a privately owned marine park.

Apart from that, I can show you 10.000 pictures from other places in the world that are not as crowded, over-rated, over-priced and down-right dangerous.

Personally, I love Koh Tao.  There is no other island in Thailand I like more, by a long shot.  If I could buy the bungalow we rent, I would.  I would not buy land though, and I would be very hesitant to buy in any of the “developments.”

My logic:

-If you are (not very far) out of the way, you are relying on private electricity and water.  This is 3-6x government rates.

-Building is expensive.  Developers take shortcuts (especially on roads), and if you are doing it on your own you will be paying a huge premium. You aren’t going to be able to build a house for less than 5 million Baht for something small and simple— a glorified bungalow might set you back 3 million.

-Pretty much anywhere you could build, you are going to have a hike to get to things, or be in a very congested area. 

-Taxi mafia.  Almost everything else is pretty above-board and reasonable in terms of law, but the taxi setup just pisses me off.  It is worse than Samui now.

-Roads.  While most of the island is fine, you have a few choke points that are miserable no matter what your mode of transport is.  Most of the spots are very hard to fix, and few of them can be avoided altogether.

That said, if you find a house that is built and finished, requires nothing more than a paint job to make it your dream home, is at a price you can accept, and you have no expectations of renting it out to tourists then go nuts!  (Depending on rental income is going to drive you crazy if you have to manage it yourself.)

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

Your point is?

It can be as picturesque as it likes - that doesn't take anything away from the fact that the whole area is run by gangsters/mafia. I'm also sure you know about the large amount of 'unsolved' murders on Koh Tao - mostly foreign tourists. Certainly not on my list of must go destinations.

That is so far from the truth is laughable you clearly have no 1st hand knowledge of the place!

The post is about buying land not what fantasy stories you've read on here.

• Confused 1

To the OP, there is land for sale, i presume you are looking to build however finding quality builders can be an issue, there are good builders but they are always busy, You would also need to establish contacts for materials & deliveries etc, connection of electric also.

There are quite a few half finished places and some completed houses for sale that would need renovating but building from sratch can prove difficult even as a tradesman or in construction, also plans need to be approved and there is also zoning so there are certain rules as to what can be built  nd how much of the land can be developed.

There are planty of foreigners that have land and built owe own property and hopefully they will be able to help you through private messages becuause 99% of people commenting here have zero first hand knowledge of the Island and just post negative rubbish

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bullie said:

Apart from that, I can show you 10.000 pictures from other places in the world that are not as crowded, over-rated, over-priced and down-right dangerous.

Your point is?

This thread is about Koh Tao, the posted picture is from a private owned marine park named Koh Nangyouan, north of Koh Tao. I mentioned it, so posters are not confused, as this style of photos are often shown as Koh Tao, but it's not the same island.

40 minutes ago, harriott456 said:

The post is about buying land not what fantasy stories you've read on here.

And that's the real problem here, as all land on the island Tao belong to the state, however some land has been allowed to be used for coconut plantation. Kind of up to 30 year lease of land is more likely the possibility for a foreigner.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:35 PM, Sujo said:

Be careful of accidentally drowning there, or any other thing.

Also, you buy it, later one of the local ruthless and very powerful Koh Tao mafia guys wants it and you suddenly discover it's been transferred to them, going to the police a waste of time. Koh Tao not a good idea. 

On 2/24/2020 at 6:05 PM, khunPer said:

That is Koh Nangyouan, and you cannot live there, but you can rent a honeymoon bungalow for a couple of nights. Koh Nangyouan is a privately owned marine park.

Koh Nangyuan is  not privately owned, it is leased from the Finance Ministry (or a similar Government entity) to I believe the same family who own Lomprayh (and Easy Divers)

2 hours ago, smutcakes said:

Koh Nangyuan is  not privately owned, it is leased from the Finance Ministry (or a similar Government entity) to I believe the same family who own Lomprayh (and Easy Divers)

The whole Koh Nangyouan area, two larger and one small cliff, is privately owned by the Marine Department and leased out, however with marine park restrictions.

1 minute ago, khunPer said:

The whole Koh Nangyouan area, two larger and one small cliff, is privately owned by the Marine Department and leased out, however with marine park restrictions.

Well if you call a Government department privately owned okay then. In my book all land held by Government and its bodies is public property/

1 hour ago, smutcakes said:

Well if you call a Government department privately owned okay then. In my book all land held by Government and its bodies is public property/

I'm not calling it, but that's what the Marine Department say, and what other sites state. It's also stated that "the Marine Department owns (most of) the beaches in Thailand...????