Empty Nose Syndrome

Francois870

Hi,

I had nose surgery done at BNH hospital in Bangkok : correction of deviated septum and rf turbinectomy to reduce the size of the nasal turbinates.

3 months after the surgery i started developing something called empty nose syndrome, which is really starting to effect me quality of life. Dry, crusty, bloody nose, feeling of suffocation, whistling noise at night, and lots of anxiety.

Does anyone have any experience with this, and more importantly: does anyone know a good ENT doctor in thailand he acknowledges this issue, takes it seriously and can treat it?

Thanks for your help!

1 minute ago, FlorC said:

Maybe try : Otrivine nose spray.

Xylometazoline 0,1 %.  145 B. Spray and wait 5 minutes.

If it is allowed after such an operation.

The last thing an ENS sufferer wants to do is open things up even more.  The suffocation is completely different than congestion.

Tried everything: cortisone sprays, saline irrigation, lots of meditation.

So it seems like some kind of implant to restore normal airflow and resistance in the nose is the only way to fix this?

Would it be possible in Thailand?

Quite ironic to first pay all that money to reduce the size turbinates, only to pay even more money to get an implant after...

3 minutes ago, Francois870 said:

Tried everything: cortisone sprays, saline irrigation, lots of meditation.

So it seems like some kind of implant to restore normal airflow and resistance in the nose is the only way to fix this?

Would it be possible in Thailand?

Quite ironic to first pay all that money to reduce the size turbinates, only to pay even more money to get an implant after...

Implants usually aren’t necessary for RF coblation.  People who have had full turbinectomies are usually the ones who do.  Did you read the link I provided above?

Went to an ENT doctor here in Chiang Rai for a checkup.

I also seem to have a hole in my septum, caused by the surgery.

This might contribute  to the whistling noise and the dryness

Anyone has any experience with this? Necessary  to fix? I'm not that eager to let a surgon touch my nose again!

15 hours ago, Francois870 said:

Anyone has any experience with this? Necessary  to fix? I'm not that eager to let a surgon touch my nose again!

Oh dear

On 2/27/2020 at 5:40 AM, Francois870 said:

Perforated septum is a known complication of surgery and can certainly cause whistling.  But would nto as far as I know account for the dryness, that is just due to more air going in.

Whether to fix a perforation depends on how troublesome it is to the patient.

repair is far from simple, you should carefully choose the surgery and get several opinions first.

On 2/28/2020 at 5:30 PM, Sheryl said:

Perforated septum is a known complication of surgery and can certainly cause whistling.  But would nto as far as I know account for the dryness, that is just due to more air going in.

Whether to fix a perforation depends on how troublesome it is to the patient.

repair is far from simple, you should carefully choose the surgery and get several opinions first.

Thanks Sheryl

Would you be able to recommend good ENT surgeons who could fix the hole in my septum. Not sure if i want to go to the same surgeon at BNH again who caused the hole in the first place (Dr Pasakorn at BNH)

I looked at the Dr you recommended at Siriraj (Assanasen) but he's not a surgeon?

Thanks for your help

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi I just had surgery two months ago and I’m having empty nose symptoms as well. I know there are no doctor’s that treat it here but I have found some things that help me. First you will need to change your diet. If you don’t eat healthy already you need to start. You will need to stop eating anything processed and high in sugar. Also try not to eat too much gluten and milk. Second try to exercise every day. This has really helped me. I always feel better when I exercise. If you don’t exercise already start slow and try to build up to something that is comfortable. Third try acupuncture. I go to grace acupuncture clinic here in Bangkok and it really helps. Also for the anxiety and depression take fish oil and dark chocolate. Both of these keep your cortisol levels in check. Finally there is a site that has people from all over the world who are dealing with this. If you go to tap talk and type in empty nose syndrome you can find it. This is where a lot of my information comes from. I hope this helps. Just know you are not alone and there is hope. Though you might have to leave Thailand to be able to get some of the more advanced treatments. 

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...