Multiple AirAsia(s) and Transfers

AAArdvark

Does anyone have any experience with transferring between the various AirAsia companies?  In my case it would be Thai AirAsia to Philippines AirAsia.  Flight searches usually say these transfers are "self transfers".

In either Hong Kong, Macao or Singapore,  for someone with carry on only, what does it actually mean.

AirAsia has no email, and the phone center cannot give good answers.

If you use the search term 'airasia' and 'fly though' in your browser you should find the info you need. 

Basically, if you have two point to point tickets, good luck. Assuming these are both international flights, you will almost certainly have to clear immigration/customs from your inbound flight, and check in landslide.  

If you have a 'fly-thru' ticket (both flights on the one ticket, made in the one booking), it's going to be a lot easier. 

To answer the last 3  replies:

1.  Specifically, I want to send an inexperienced and nervous flyer from Thailand to the Philippines.  She might not be able to navigate this situation.

2.  Yes and possibly having to go through immigration and checkin again and redo immigration.  Flight search like skyscanner and kayak don't give a full explanation.

3.  I am familiar with AirAsia fly through.  However, as I explained in my original post, AirAsia is not one company and going from Thai AirAsia to Philippines AirAsia will require two tickets.  Both international.

I was trying to find out if the parent AirAsia had somehow made the process easier.  In most of the flights that I have seen, the layover time is less than 2 hours.  Going through immigration (twice) and maybe collecting luggage and then checking in again and going through security might be difficult, especially with an inexperienced flyer.

Edited by AAArdvark

There are numerous flights out of CNX to Manila that dont require self transfer, but they are more expensive. So if you are really worried about the trip, pay the extra cash to solve your problem.

4 hours ago, AAArdvark said:

Does anyone have any experience with transferring between the various AirAsia companies?  In my case it would be Thai AirAsia to Philippines AirAsia.  Flight searches usually say these transfers are "self transfers".

From CNX to MNL I always went via KUL, and 'self transfer' just means you have to pass through immigration at KUL to get your next boarding pass.

50 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

To answer the last 3  replies:

1.  Specifically, I want to send an inexperienced and nervous flyer from Thailand to the Philippines.  She might not be able to navigate this situation.

2.  Yes and possibly having to go through immigration and checkin again and redo immigration.  Flight search like skyscanner and kayak don't give a full explanation.

3.  I am familiar with AirAsia fly through.  However, as I explained in my original post, AirAsia is not one company and going from Thai AirAsia to Philippines AirAsia will require two tickets.  Both international.

I was trying to find out if the parent AirAsia had somehow made the process easier.  In most of the flights that I have seen, the layover time is less than 2 hours.  Going through immigration (twice) and maybe collecting luggage and then checking in again and going through security might be difficult, especially with an inexperienced flyer.

It is possible to go all transit but it depends on your destinations. With a layover of less than 2 hours and inexperienced person it gets quite risky.

First you need to have only cabin baggage, if you have check-in baggage and 2 different tickets, you need to clear immigration.

Second you need to check-in online in advance, and pay attention at the messages displayed during the check-in process and what is written on the boarding passes. Depending on the passport you hold and the destination, the boarding pass may say "go directly to the gate", in this case you have the boarding pass already and don't need to leave the transit area. If it says "document check required", you still may be able to pull it, but confirm with the AirAsia transit staff.

I've done it through KL with different flights and separate tickets, but I always leave myself enough time to clear the immigration if needed. If in doubt check with the AirAsia people in the transit area, they are usually very helpful.