BANGKOK

I will be going to renew my retirement extension at Phuket immigration this coming week.

I have just obtained the bank letter confirming the 800,000 has been there for over 2 months and also a signed and stamped statement from them confiming all transactions for the last 3 months.

I assumed they would also update the passbook but they did not so I did so myself later on.

I am on the old rules, i.e I last extended just before March 1st 2019 so I do not need to show the 800,000 was there for 3 months after etc so I have not updated the book since the last extension.

When I updated it, expecting to see at least 2 or 3 months transactions, all I got was a total and what seems to be some sort of composite amount.

My question is: Will Phuket immigration need to see the transactions and amounts for 2 or 3 months actually in the book or is the signed and stamped bank statement showing 3 months transactions acceptable to them? It would seem they are calling the bank liars if it is not but who knows.

Can I ask the bank to put 3 month transactions in the book if needs be? 

Simon

• Confused 1

The 3 month bank statement should be accepted since your bank book does not show all the transactions.

12 minutes ago, jirathama said:

Please let us know, if the 3 months statement was working in Phuket.

Here in Chiang Mai they rejectedit, as well as the 6 months one, and they asked for a 1 year statement now. I asked 2 officers, if this is correct. They showed me a notice on their black board which says..1 year statement required. Bangkok Bank took a week to give me one...

What is the day your existing extension ended. If after March 1st last year they wanted that to prove you kept the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months and then had at least 400k baht there for the rest of the year.

Simon - I would advise you visit Immigration ASP as they get very touchy if the bank letter is not dated the same date as your renewal application or very close to. The updated book must show the same amount as the letter, obviously, and you need a photocopy of all pages. 

• Like 1

Not Phuket, but I don’t bother with the letter anymore, I just transfer ฿1,000 into the account when I get up in the morning, and then update the book when I get to immigration.

put a small amount into your bank and update the book just before going to immigration.  this is important

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

put a small amount into your bank and update the book just before going to immigration.  this is important

Immigration wants to see a transaction,it doesn't need to be a deposit. 

18 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

Many thanks for that. 

Simon

You must update your bank book on a regular basis, at least once a month to be able to see every transaction. 

Just now, Max69xl said:

You must update your bank book on a regular basis, at least once a month to be able to see every transaction. 

Not true for a Fixed Deposit Account you would need to make a transaction to update the book easier to get a yearly statement but some banks cannot do it on demand but need 7 days to process it

I went to Phuket Immigration last month to find out about the statement because Bangkok takes 1 week to get 12 month statement. I do the combo method and this is what the guy in the front told me:

The statement amount showing money in the bank does not have to match the letter because it takes a week to get a 12 month statement.

The letter showing income needs to be dated within 7 days of the application.  I just realized that I didn't ask if I needed a statement for my direct deposit account too?  Probably will get one, why sweat it.

I have never had to have a same day transaction on my account in five years.  I just get to immigration the next day with all the docs.

I always update my book every month. The same thing happened to me once, but it was before they got really picky.

Of course this could all change by the middle of March when I go in and see them.

Hope this helps.

41 minutes ago, offset said:

Not true for a Fixed Deposit Account you would need to make a transaction to update the book easier to get a yearly statement but some banks cannot do it on demand but need 7 days to process it

We're not talking about a Fixed Deposit Account. A Savings Account bank book "MUST" be updated at least once a month to show every transaction. This is a fact. 

If you have a FDA at for example Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank, you can update the bank book in an update machine when using it for immigration. No deposit needed. 

• Like 1

Having just renewed my 1 year retirement visa, I have first hand knowledge of what was required of me. I  had to get a one year statement of all bank transactions which required  they obtain that information from Bangkok. Then the bank transmitted that statement to my local bank who then stamped and signed it. Plus you need the letter that states there has been 800,00 in the account for the past 3 months. Then I was informed that presenting my bank book was insufficient since the bank book hadn't been updated THAT SAME DAY. Living in paradise has turned into living in hell and if I wasn't saddled with an expensive house.....well you get the idea. By the way, my experience was in Chiang Mai. Apparently in Thailand the rules are different depending on which immigration office one tries to use.

Edited by Kurtf
added info
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What is the day your existing extension ended. If after March 1st last year they wanted that to prove you kept the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months and then had at least 400k baht there for the rest of the year.

Is it actually the date the old extension expired or the date it was renewed that counts? I.e if it expired say March 10th 2019 but was renewed on February 27th 2019, does the 800,000 3 month money kept in bank rule after renewal apply or do the old rules apply? No mention was made of it at all by the officer when I renewed just before March 1st 2019 and nothing mentioned at any 90 day report. 

The queue for retirement extension renewals at Jomtien was unusually long the day I was there I remember with 2 farangs telling me they were there a few days early to beat the new rules. Hopefully, we are not all wrong but if so I can go outside Thailand and start again or whatever. Still something like 2.5 weeks left on the old extension.

Simon