Bank book transactions

I will be going to renew my retirement extension at Phuket immigration this coming week.

I have just obtained the bank letter confirming the 800,000 has been there for over 2 months and also a signed and stamped statement from them confiming all transactions for the last 3 months.

I assumed they would also update the passbook but they did not so I did so myself later on.

I am on the old rules, i.e I last extended just before March 1st 2019 so I do not need to show the 800,000 was there for 3 months after etc so I have not updated the book since the last extension.

When I updated it, expecting to see at least 2 or 3 months transactions, all I got was a total and what seems to be some sort of composite amount.

My question is: Will Phuket immigration need to see the transactions and amounts for 2 or 3 months actually in the book or is the signed and stamped bank statement showing 3 months transactions acceptable to them? It would seem they are calling the bank liars if it is not but who knows.

Can I ask the bank to put 3 month transactions in the book if needs be? 

Simon

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, jirathama said:

Please let us know, if the 3 months statement was working in Phuket.

Here in Chiang Mai they rejectedit, as well as the 6 months one, and they asked for a 1 year statement now. I asked 2 officers, if this is correct. They showed me a notice on their black board which says..1 year statement required. Bangkok Bank took a week to give me one...

What is the day your existing extension ended. If after March 1st last year they wanted that to prove you kept the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months and then had at least 400k baht there for the rest of the year.

Simon - I would advise you visit Immigration ASP as they get very touchy if the bank letter is not dated the same date as your renewal application or very close to. The updated book must show the same amount as the letter, obviously, and you need a photocopy of all pages. 

• Like 1

Just now, Max69xl said:

You must update your bank book on a regular basis, at least once a month to be able to see every transaction. 

Not true for a Fixed Deposit Account you would need to make a transaction to update the book easier to get a yearly statement but some banks cannot do it on demand but need 7 days to process it

I went to Phuket Immigration last month to find out about the statement because Bangkok takes 1 week to get 12 month statement. I do the combo method and this is what the guy in the front told me:

The statement amount showing money in the bank does not have to match the letter because it takes a week to get a 12 month statement.

The letter showing income needs to be dated within 7 days of the application.  I just realized that I didn't ask if I needed a statement for my direct deposit account too?  Probably will get one, why sweat it.

I have never had to have a same day transaction on my account in five years.  I just get to immigration the next day with all the docs.

I always update my book every month. The same thing happened to me once, but it was before they got really picky.

Of course this could all change by the middle of March when I go in and see them.

Hope this helps.

41 minutes ago, offset said:

Not true for a Fixed Deposit Account you would need to make a transaction to update the book easier to get a yearly statement but some banks cannot do it on demand but need 7 days to process it

We're not talking about a Fixed Deposit Account. A Savings Account bank book "MUST" be updated at least once a month to show every transaction. This is a fact. 

If you have a FDA at for example Bangkok Bank or Kasikorn Bank, you can update the bank book in an update machine when using it for immigration. No deposit needed. 

• Like 1

Having just renewed my 1 year retirement visa, I have first hand knowledge of what was required of me. I  had to get a one year statement of all bank transactions which required  they obtain that information from Bangkok. Then the bank transmitted that statement to my local bank who then stamped and signed it. Plus you need the letter that states there has been 800,00 in the account for the past 3 months. Then I was informed that presenting my bank book was insufficient since the bank book hadn't been updated THAT SAME DAY. Living in paradise has turned into living in hell and if I wasn't saddled with an expensive house.....well you get the idea. By the way, my experience was in Chiang Mai. Apparently in Thailand the rules are different depending on which immigration office one tries to use.

Edited by Kurtf
added info
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What is the day your existing extension ended. If after March 1st last year they wanted that to prove you kept the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months and then had at least 400k baht there for the rest of the year.

Is it actually the date the old extension expired or the date it was renewed that counts? I.e if it expired say March 10th 2019 but was renewed on February 27th 2019, does the 800,000 3 month money kept in bank rule after renewal apply or do the old rules apply? No mention was made of it at all by the officer when I renewed just before March 1st 2019 and nothing mentioned at any 90 day report. 

The queue for retirement extension renewals at Jomtien was unusually long the day I was there I remember with 2 farangs telling me they were there a few days early to beat the new rules. Hopefully, we are not all wrong but if so I can go outside Thailand and start again or whatever. Still something like 2.5 weeks left on the old extension.

Simon

11 minutes ago, Simon1287 said:

Is it actually the date the old extension expired or the date it was renewed that counts? I.e if it expired say March 10th 2019 but was renewed on February 27th 2019, does the 800,000 3 month money kept in bank rule after renewal apply or do the old rules apply?

immigration could apply the rules to any extension that started after March 1st. Not sure how they will be enforcing the rules.

I think it was an assumption by many people that the rules would not apply if applied for before March 1st. I would guess immigration may not enforce it for those that were applied for extensions prior to March 1st.

• Like 2

It is going to be interesting from next month for all those that used agents to get their retirement extensions without the finances. How are those agents going to get around the 1 year bank statements showing all the required money from the various banks.

I opened a GBP account (plenty of xchange rate headroom) last year so the only transactions are the deposit and interest. I have a Baht account used for day to day expenses. I will get the bank letter for the GBP account and a copy of the updated bank book + original bank books and all the other stuff. Immigration Hua Hin seemed ok with this when I queried. Will go in plenty of time in May - so hopefully will be straightforward. 

6 hours ago, Simon1287 said:

Is it actually the date the old extension expired or the date it was renewed that counts?

Date of renewal.  I did my extension Dec 12th 2019, the old one expired 7th Jan 2020.  The IO looked at the calendar, and said come back 10th March - after OK, not before.  I wasn't required to sign any docs as others have, I guess if I hadn't queried it I wouldn't be going back on 10th March ????.

4 hours ago, Russell17au said:

It is going to be interesting from next month for all those that used agents to get their retirement extensions without the finances. How are those agents going to get around the 1 year bank statements showing all the required money from the various banks.

Nothing changes - exactly the same as before. I am aware of several recent extension applicants who have bypassed the Agent scheme (either overdue or not enough in the bank) and cut out the middleman so to speak.  Same result but cheaper.  What's that phone number? 11 something, something?  ????

40 minutes ago, phetchy said:

Date of renewal.  I did my extension Dec 12th 2019, the old one expired 7th Jan 2020.  The IO looked at the calendar, and said come back 10th March - after OK, not before.  I wasn't required to sign any docs as others have, I guess if I hadn't queried it I wouldn't be going back on 10th March ????.

If they didn't give you a note with the date for the 90 days check, then don't go. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Max69xl said:

We're not talking about a Fixed Deposit Account. A Savings Account bank book "MUST" be updated at least once a month to show every transaction. This is a fact.

I don't agree it's a fact as I've just checked my Bangkok Bank Savings Account bank book for the last time I was out the country for over a month (June 10th to July 28th last year) and every transaction made during that time is individually recorded, even though my bank book was with me so not available to be updated.

5 hours ago, treetops said:

I don't agree it's a fact as I've just checked my Bangkok Bank Savings Account bank book for the last time I was out the country for over a month (June 10th to July 28th last year) and every transaction made during that time is individually recorded, even though my bank book was with me so not available to be updated.

Irrelevant whether you are in the country or not I expect. Although I cannot confirm what triggers the system to print a consolidated line rather than several pages of individual transactions. It may be an excessive number of transactions, a long period of time or some combination. I am pretty sure a bank book update cannot go back beyond 6 months for the individual transactions wrt Bangkok Bank, because neither you nor the teller can do that on-line. You have to apply to central records. 

19 hours ago, offset said:

I update my BB that is a fixed deposit account without a transaction no problem always have 

I am just guessing but after March the 1st (some offices require now) that doing a yearly update in the passbook will not be required, this will be covered by the statements for the year with a letter from the bank and the book showing a transaction on the day you go for your extension

56 minutes ago, offset said:

I am just guessing but after March the 1st (some offices require now) that doing a yearly update in the passbook will not be required, this will be covered by the statements for the year with a letter from the bank and the book showing a transaction on the day you go for your extension

I agree that would be logical, as the above would provide the IO with all information needed to check whether the requirements have been complied with. 

However, this is Thailand, so we will have to wait and see whether that logic is indeed embraced by those in command at the IOs.  Until then the senseless paper-waste of having to copy ALL your bank-book pages as some IOs require, will continue.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Irrelevant whether you are in the country or not I expect. Although I cannot confirm what triggers the system to print a consolidated line rather than several pages of individual transactions. It may be an excessive number of transactions, a long period of time or some combination. I am pretty sure a bank book update cannot go back beyond 6 months for the individual transactions wrt Bangkok Bank, because neither you nor the teller can do that on-line. You have to apply to central records. 

Early last year I forgot to update my Bangkok Bank savings account. So,instead of my monthly update I did it after almost 2,5 months. Instead of showing every transaction during that period they were combined. That's the way it should work.  Same with my Kasikorn Bank account. That account is not important update-wise, so I don't update the book on a regular basis. That way I save pages. 15-20 transactions during 2-2,5 month becomes maybe 3-4 combined. 

On 2/24/2020 at 10:07 AM, ubonjoe said:

Please clarify whether the 3 months for retaining 800,000 Baht applies from the date of the extension or the date of expiry of permission to stay. Thanks.