Is thailand wanting to stay in medieval times ?

Liverpudlian

22 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Thailand is spiraling downward. How do you like the military govt? Did you get to vote him in? No you can't vote, own land or anything else. You are just a guest is all.

LOL. Thailand is NOT "spiralling downward" People in my wife's village were far better off than a decade before.

Thailand has been under military rule for probably longer than it has been under so called "democracy", and how can it be "democracy" when the populace vote for whoever pays the most?

Yes, we are just guests and good for them. My western country has been ruined by allowing foreign ownership of land and property.

Why should people that can't even write the language be allowed to vote?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, Nyezhov said:

I dont really much care what they do with THEIR country. They want me to come and spend money, OK, no problem. They want me to stay and spend money, clean the air. I care not a whit about their government except as it affects me. Annoy me, and Ill go somewhere else, like I just did.

And, when all else fails and the darkness approaches, Ill go find a warm place in the USA and end my days with strip malls, highways, clean toilets, expensive cars, dispensaries and sanitary chain restaurant food instead of Gods in every golden oyster, Orchids on my Balcony, Port and Buriram Football, ancient ruins, buddhas and spirits, cheap food and weekly bouts of the squirts to go with seeded weed, bad steaks, and skinny girls.

Its all good because I woke up today.

No squirts in Cambodia

On 2/23/2020 at 7:47 AM, Yinn said:

The Crown colony was dissolved on 16 September 1963 when Singapore became part of Malaysia, which ended the 144 years' British rule of the island.

In the 1960s, the city-state of Singapore was an undeveloped country with a GDP per capita of less than U.S. $320. Today, it is one of the world's fastest-growing economies. Its GDP per capita has risen to an incredible U.S. $60,000, making it one of the strongest economies in the world. For a small country with few natural resources, Singapore's economic ascension is nothing short of remarkable. By embracing globalization, free-market capitalism, education, and pragmatic policies, the country has been able to overcome its geographic disadvantages and become a leader in global commerce.

Independence 

For over 100 years, Singapore was under British control. But when the British failed to protect the colony from the Japanese during World War II, it sparked a strong anti-colonial and nationalist sentiment that subsequently led to Singapore's independence.

<snip>

I think you are letting your Farang Alter Ego seep out here, and wrote it yourself

Obviously this is meant to look like a Wiki entry to make some kind of point.

However the fact that it is total nonsense sorta gives it away.

Singapore was part of the Malaysian Federation, which gained independence from the UK in 1957. Singapore seceded from the Federation in 1963, not as a British Crown Colony, but from the already independent Federation of Malaysia.

If you are going to post fake stuff, at least pepper it with some truthful facts, or go back to your bar stool in Pattaya and have another beer!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The rich have always wanted to suppress the minions in any country/culture. You might indeed be perceived a threat if you encroached the status quo by educating all with your lavish westerner ways. But as for Thailand not wanting foreigners wholesale - perhaps in some quarters maybe - but reckon that's a myth. They simply wanted the riffraff out and to have the country purveyed in a different light. Nowt wrong with that at all.

The average Somchai's view of us may have changed slightly, but would put that down more to access of the world through the net/social media and the increasing development of the place in general. I, for one, still love being around Thais and really miss it when not there.

• Thanks 1

A personal attack has been removed.

Be advised Thai Visa is an anonymous forum and it is against forum rules to discuss another member and you will receive a posting suspension if you do.

25) No public discussion is allowed with regard to other forum members, as well as to advertisements or sponsors, or methods of blocking advertisements.

On 2/23/2020 at 10:40 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Really?

I think lots of Thais welcome foreigners.

Obviously there are some who don't like foreigners - just like in many other countries.

Who of us has experienced hateful Thais? I remember one guy years ago in a food center who was shouting at every farang he saw. And everybody ignored him. That's the only hateful guy I remember right now. I am sure if there would be many of them I would remember many of them.

Agreed. Thais are in the main tolerant.

• Like 2

I used to live in Africa many moons ago,thought I was there for life,change of government and had to have it on my toes,all you who think you,'re in the los  for life should remember 2 main points 1.you are a guest in a foreign. Country,at the moment you are being tolerated.2 if (or should it  be when ) the thai economy go,'re for a burton who,a fault will it be?why the mazangu,sorry farlang.And you will about as welcome as a turf in a swimming pool.

2 minutes ago, kingdong said:

I used to live in Africa many moons ago,thought I was there for life,change of government and had to have it on my toes,all you who think you,'re in the los  for life should remember 2 main points 1.you are a guest in a foreign. Country,at the moment you are being tolerated.2 if (or should it  be when ) the thai economy go,'re for a burton who,a fault will it be?why the mazangu,sorry farlang.And you will about as welcome as a turf in a swimming pool.

I always guessed from your writing style that you were African. Kwazulu?

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

Explain to me why the best mathematicians and the best computer scientists in the world are Indians who work for the most part in Silicon Valley ...

Only reason I could think of is US companies use command of the English language as the major recruitment criteria.

95% engineers in India unfit for software development jobs: Report

The best programmers in the world are the Chinese and the Russians:

TOP 10 COUNTRIES WITH THE BEST COMPUTER PROGRAMMERS

Look at India's ranking:

Screen-Shot-2016-08-23-at-8.42.39-AM.png

Indians are the best mathematicians? Look at the stats of past winners of the International Mathematical Olympiad:

540px-International_Mathematical_Olympia

I think you guys are missing the point. We are not the indigenous folk here. They have managed to get thru historically until now and I guess if it’s worked for them this long why change. After 10 years I am heading home, I cannot deal with the people and isms any longer. What they do badly here is actually westernism. Better off staying ignorant for time in memoriam. And me back to westernism and English.

Edited by Dingo1170
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Selatan said:

Look at the stats of past winners of the International Mathematical Olympiad:

The Math Olympics are not much apart from The Fields Medal which is the holy grail that every mathematician dreams of having.
And there, we actually find some Russians but especially many French and people from USA and only one Chinese since its creation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal

There is also another prize, The Abel Prize ; have a look, no chinese people  won it 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Prize

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

The Math Olympics are not much apart from The Fields Medal which is the holy grail that every mathematician dreams of having.
And there, we actually find some Russians but especially many French and people from USA and only one Chinese since its creation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fields_Medal

There is also another prize, The Abel Prize ; have a look, no chinese people  won it 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abel_Prize

We are talking about how good or bad the Indians are, right? Now you want to question if the Chinese are good in maths?

If even Gandhi couldn't win the Noble Peace Prize, no wonder I have low regards for Western awards, which are biased. Imagine Liu Xiaobo was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. This guy advocated that China be colonised by the West for at least 300 years. I believe in real competitions, not opinions, which are how awards are given out. The East have their own awards too for all kinds of achievements. Proves nothing.

Stick back with the Indians, please.

India didn't even want to take part in the 2018 PISA, which China was ranked top. India took part in PISA once in 2009, and got ranked #72 out of 74 countries. Still think they are that good? Are they really that good in maths and computer programming?

5 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

In fact I don't care; I'm not from India .

What I do know is that a lot of Indians work in Silicon Valley; and not as sweepers

http://people.bu.edu/prothero/silicon.html

Because farangs like people who can speak English well. They would not like to employ Chinese programmers because of their poorer English. Pity Boeing has to suffer tremendously for the failure of 737Max's MCAS system. Apparently the MCAS software development were outsourced to Indian IT companies.

HR managers like to employ smooth talkers. Most of them do not know how to evaluate if a programmer is good or not. But some candidates couldn't speak well, so some might ask others to help them in the interview:

On 2/29/2020 at 7:53 PM, Dingo1170 said:

I think you guys are missing the point. We are not the indigenous folk here. They have managed to get thru historically until now and I guess if it’s worked for them this long why change. After 10 years I am heading home, I cannot deal with the people and isms any longer. What they do badly here is actually westernism. Better off staying ignorant for time in memoriam. And me back to westernism and English.

Agree. Thailand was way better 30 years ago before westernisation really took hold. Certainly the Thais were slimmer and IMO happier. The smile actually existed in the population and not just in ads.

They are a playful irresponsible lot, perhaps they don't want to be dragged into an era of total surveillance and AI control. As someone once said "Precision is the prerogative of the firing squad." When one reads about what governments in the west and China are up to in Wikileaks and the talk of a cashless society (total government control over your assets) then the middle ages seems quite appealing.

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

They are a playful irresponsible lot, perhaps they don't want to be dragged into an era of total surveillance and AI control. As someone once said "Precision is the prerogative of the firing squad." When one reads about what governments in the west and China are up to in Wikileaks and the talk of a cashless society (total government control over your assets) then the middle ages seems quite appealing.

I always considered Thais be be childlike in that they did not seem concerned about tomorrow, and lived for the moment. Somewhere in the last 30 years they lost, IMO, that childlike faith that everything would be OK and grew up and became unhappy like farangs.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

I always considered Thais be be childlike in that they did not seem concerned about tomorrow, and lived for the moment. Somewhere in the last 30 years they lost, IMO, that childlike faith that everything would be OK and grew up and became unhappy like farangs.

Possibly in the big cities, the captains of industry and their minions may have changed (somewhat) but I speak from my experiences of living in the countryside, they haven't changed. I was speaking to the wife of one of my neighbours whose rice harvest has been devastated by the drought and what rice they could harvest they got a pittance for, when I mentioned that this would be a very difficult year for them as they already have a large amount of debt, she smiled nodding her head, "Yes." I admire the farmers, they are uneducated yet resourceful, stoic and kind. They can turn their hand to building, cut planks from a felled tree with an axe, tend their fields, are fiercely independent and face disaster with a smile (although they may weep in their bed). They hold on to tradition, their religion and the royal family are never questioned but they don't readily believe the BS from the government. They have a natural feeling for what is right and what is possible. Laws and bylaws are acknowledged with a shrug, if it suites them they will abide by them, if not they are ignored unless the logic of such is explained then they will follow them to the letter (unless it means wearing a crash helmet). Salt of the earth.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

Possibly in the big cities, the captains of industry and their minions may have changed (somewhat) but I speak from my experiences of living in the countryside, they haven't changed. I was speaking to the wife of one of my neighbours whose rice harvest has been devastated by the drought and what rice they could harvest they got a pittance for, when I mentioned that this would be a very difficult year for them as they already have a large amount of debt, she smiled nodding her head, "Yes." I admire the farmers, they are uneducated yet resourceful, stoic and kind. They can turn their hand to building, cut planks from a felled tree with an axe, tend their fields, are fiercely independent and face disaster with a smile (although they may weep in their bed). They hold on to tradition, their religion and the royal family are never questioned but they don't readily believe the BS from the government. They have a natural feeling for what is right and what is possible. Laws and bylaws are acknowledged with a shrug, if it suites them they will abide by them, if not they are ignored unless the logic of such is explained then they will follow them to the letter (unless it means wearing a crash helmet). Salt of the earth.

IMO the most evil thing that happened ( post war ) was the invention of easy credit so that millions ( ?billions ) became trapped by debt so bankers could get rich, rich, rich.

I was trapped by the scum credit card issuers and fooled myself it was easy money. Took me years to get out of debt- cut up the card and never allowed myself to get into debt again without being able to pay it off quickly.

On 2/23/2020 at 6:27 PM, ezzra said:

There will no sleep loss if tomorrow all the foreigners in Thailand will pack up and leave, infect, there will a collective sigh of relief to see the backside of them, so in answer to your question, Thailand is very happy where it was until us came for pushed those poor lot to go think and act 20th century... 

ah before 'we' came they didn't have cars? fridges? stereos? if 'we' left and took all 'our' inventions, products and stuff to buy Thailand really would be in the medieval ages.

Most Thais don't have a problem with westerners but there are some who do. When you meet one of these, you will know it even if they say nothing. These people are the ones who are not only brainwashed; they are ones who will beat other Thais in the street to make them pay respect to their beliefs. They won't change easily. They are disturbed often wicked souls.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1