Ministry of Education asks me to observe a 14 day voluntary quarantine when I come back from Japan !!!!

xtof2

5 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Wow.

Does that include people that only transferred through airports in those countries?

I live in Thailand with my family.

So it seems that they include everyone (including Thai according to the Ministry directive) travelling in one of these countries and coming back in Thailand.

1 hour ago, loong said:

must and voluntary in the same sentence???

Either they must do it or they do it voluntarily.

I think the “ voluntary” refers to the type of quarantine such as at home, if it was “compulsory” you could be held somewhere with no choice.

As a teacher you show remarkably little understanding that Japan is riddled with infected people from Okinawa to the far north. And very little sense of responsibility that you will be working amongst hundreds of children in confined spaces. Just look at what one woman has done in Korea by mixing with a church congregation while apparently not knowing that she was infectious. 

Thailand could be the victim of a super-spreader like her but so far has been fortunate.  So grow up and accept responsibility for once in your life. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

So we have cases of CV in Thailand and they have cases in Singapore. Main difference is that Singapore has loads of equipment that works and people placed everywhere with hand cleaning stuff and a Government that is realistic and gives sound advise whilst keeping everything in perspective..

What is the difference therefore between being in Singapore and being in Thailand in terms of likelihood of infection?

Using this logic, everyone in Thailand should also go into self-imposed quarantine, and the moment that is over and they go to the shops, they should return and do another 14 days quarantine.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

The directive is responsible and  the OP as a responsible professional should not need the government to tell the OP how to  behave in such a  situation. If true, the Thai directive  follows similar recommendations in Australia, Canada, USA, EU.

Despite the claims that children  are not a high risk group,  in public  health management, they are high risk. The children become infected and spread the illness in the community. No different than gastro infections and colds. Same mechanism.  Therefore, it is reasonable and prudent  to protect high density  groups from exposure to a potential infection carrier, particularly groups who's immune system characteristics are different than adults.

In plain language, one should have been willing to self isolate without having to be told.

Responsible, educated people will understand and comply with the directive, which is eminently sensible.  Those who bitch about it, in my opinion are shallow, self centered and inconsiderate.

Edited by robertson468

Absolute B S. Meanwhile thousands of travellers and Thai citizens come from China and those mentioned countries and can enter the country and roam around freely, being a potential disease spreader as well. 

Only when they deny entries from China and other high risk countries this makes sense.

Otherwise it's just a idea of the current situation of absolut incompetence of this government. 

• Like 1

Quite frankly in view of the spread of this virus, which has transpired in the last few days (S. Korea, Italy), no measures to try to control the further spread are justified and welcome. As inconvenient such measures maybe, they are preferential to a possible further spread of this viral virus.

Exactly the same as my international school have emailed out yesterday. Students who travelled to these places last week in half term aren't allowed in from today and we have over a dozen teachers in primary and secondary who have been told the same.

Everyone's passport was checked this morning from 7 - 9 before being allowed on the school premises. I have no idea how parents of students who have been on holiday to those countries are expected to follow this directive. I doubt they will. 

17 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Imagine a country where the governing body passes laws which are viewed by the country as general guidelines to be used when it benefits the bosses...interpreted and changed to suit everyday situations...and the consequences for breaking the law can be bought and sold like a stock option...

Of course, I am not referring to Thailand...????

Of course not. ????

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, scotty1286 said:

Try reading what he wrote again....

I tried 10 times and yes perhaps meaning infections in Japan were to the Northern island of Hokkaido but it sure is not clear from my reading and that was followed by no responsibility sentence that made even less sense (especially if referring to Japanese).  

I think there are two separate points involved in the OP's comment;

1. At this point, I and most others here, as well as growing numbers of countries, think it's a sensible precaution to have people returning from high risk areas/countries do a two-week self quarantine upon return home to, in this case, Thailand.

2. the OP is entirely correct in his additional comment that having that kind of quarantine makes absolutely no sense when a country like Thailand is simultaneously allowing foreign tourists from those same high risk countries to enter and stay in Thailand without being subject to the same two week voluntary quarantine.

5 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

how is this different that any other country?

correct! back here in the also crazy UK my firm in the city also sent out an email for anyone visiting the following countries for their personal pleasure/holiday to self isolate for 14 days and zero pay! 

•           China

•           Thailand

•           Japan

•           Republic of Korea

•           Hong Kong

•           Taiwan

•           Singapore

•           Malaysia

•           Macau