Visa and moving to Thailand

@ubonjoe will likely followup to correct any mistakes I might be making. You will want to come into Thailand on a Non-O visa based on having a Thai spouse. You will apply for that visa in your home country. Once you are here in Thailand, you will need to apply for an Extension of Stay based on your Thai spouse, before your Non-O visa expires. After that, you will apply for an additional Extension of Stay each year. 

Unless things have changed, you will need to place 400,000 baht in a Thai bank to get your extension based on marriage every year...requirements for extension of stay seem to vary from one immigration office to another.  Best to visit the immigration office in your residence province to get the details of their particular needs.  Make sure you take your wife.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Eddie2244 said:

Okay thank you is there any age requirements as I’m 31 years old? 

As @Puchaiyank Indicated, your only requirement, beyond proving you are legally married, is either 400,000 THB deposited in a bank, or proof of 40,000 baht per month of income. Proof of income is trickier than it used to be, and depends a good deal on your home country. US, GB, and AU citizens can no longer obtain a statement of income from their embassies, whereas others might. You may also fall under the new requirement for proof of health insurance.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eddie2244 said:

I will be able to sort the money out just at the moment I live in the uk and she is in Thailand I will have to send the application From here 

You can apply for the single entry Non O visa while in the UK. Your wife does not need to be with you. This will allow you to enter Thailand, receiving an initial 90-day permission to stay. Your wife only needs to accompany you when you visit immigration to request an extension of your permission to stay.

• Like 2

there are 2 ways to stay in Thailand long term, when married to a Thai,

1- non immigrant 'O' visa, which gives a 90 day permission to stay stamp on arrival, these visas can be multi entry or single entry, the UK only issues single entry now, but multi entry can be obtained close to Thailand,without any financials being required, in savannakhet in Laos and HCMC in Vietnam.

2- extension of stay issued by local immigration office within Thailand, either a 60 day extension with no financials required, which can be issued on any type of entry into Thailand Visa exempt 30 days entry, tourist visa 60 day entry or a non immigrant 'O' visa 90 day entry. or a 1 year extension, financials are required, and only issued on a non immigrant visa 90 day entry into Thailand.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BritTim said:

You can apply for the single entry Non O visa while in the UK. Your wife does not need to be with you. This will allow you to enter Thailand, receiving an initial 90-day permission to stay. Your wife only needs to accompany you when you visit immigration to request an extension of your permission to stay.

Alternatively - and especially if you find it difficult to meet the financial requirements when applying for the Non Imm O - marriage Visa or the 1-year extension from that - you could consider applying for a 1-year MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa at a thai consulate/embassy in a neighboring country (e.g. Savannakhet, Laos or HCMC, Vietnam).  That 1-year Visa does not require any financials to be proven.

A peculiarity of that Visa is that it allows to stay 90 days when entering Thailand, at the end of which you either need to do a border-run (can be done same day or combined with a trip/holiday abroad) or apply for a 60-day extension at a local thai IO.

At the end of that 60-day extension you would then need to exit Thailand.  But can then once again re-enter and be stamped in for a 90-day permission of stay (which can be extended again with 60 days).

When timed right that MultiEntry Non Imm O - marriage Visa can provide you with almost 17 months of stay in Thailand (by exiting and re-entering Thailand just before the 1-year validity of the Visa expires).

18 hours ago, Eddie2244 said:

I will be able to sort the money out just at the moment I live in the uk and she is in Thailand I will have to send the application From here 

Once in Thailand you will need most of this, but as already posted all IO differ this list is about the most comprehensive you will require. Number 14 is my favorite :giggle:

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.384c4910b103ff214062977a4d7373f1.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.jpg.77bc76435a8bece1d42ec12ec5986454.jpg

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

1 Year multi entry Non VISA from HCMC in Vietnam for $200.

Lets you enter  Thailand for 90 days, as many times as you like in a year.

No finances required beyond the $200 VISA fee.

Just to add to BT post. OP your also UK so visa exempt to Vietnam currently. 

Good suggestion. 

Married at 31 moving to Thailand. Hopefully you can work online or whatever.