Teachers, students, parents who travelled to six countries urged to stay at home for 14 days

webfact

Why be so negative about Thailand’s ways? I have no reason to doubt authorities on this matter. Do YOU have proofs of the 1200 cases ? This is not Iran or North Korea. It is still a country open to the world. My suggestion would be that we encourage our surroundings to adopt preventive measure, such as cleaning hand when using supermarket trolleys, after using public transport, etc etc.. anything that may have a positive outcome, instead of the eternal Government bashing, however much we may dislike it. This virus is more dangerous than any government. 

7 hours ago, mark131v said:

It is really hard to see how even the most ignorant, brainwashed, faux patriotic Thai Hi So can even begin to believe the complete drivel the junta are spouting

Surely there can be nobody who actually believes there are only 35 covid 19 cases in Thailand even in an educationally retarded low i.q country like this, very scary if there are....

I do ... because no one has died here yet. And because if I doubt I might as well lock myself in right now ? Any day I may be infested and not know about it for the next ..27 (not 14) days ! Another reason I believe is that the opposite would very quickly leak through social media, with a possible subsequent panic. And I am not yet aware of such leak. 

11 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

1. Better to stop the trade in exotic animals in China, and I think the Chinese government will finally get serious about this now.

2. That would disrupt the world’s economy so badly that the cure would be worse than the disease.

Well.. stop killing pangolins and Italy will be cured.. It is now beyond the exotic animal trade... it has spread into the principles of Free Trade ! Stop Free Trade ... and yes the economy will collapse. Isn’t it starting with the airlines losses canceling their flights to China. Next could be Korea and Japan ... Bats and pangolins will survive but could we survive an economic tsunami ..? 

13 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

1. Better to stop the trade in exotic animals in China, and I think the Chinese government will finally get serious about this now.

2. That would disrupt the world’s economy so badly that the cure would be worse than the disease.

It is almost certain that the virus escaped from the Wuhan level 4 biological lab. But I do agree to stop eating exotic animals.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

And many people and some radio hosts are angry as heck for the Australian government bending over to the Chinese. Is said some Universities are giving the Chinese students $1500 so they can re-route through a transfer country to side step the direct china entry ban. So no they are not being safe just like Thailand. 

They are not changing anything about mainland Chinese or those that have travelled from there. 

Edited by ncc1701d

5 hours ago, DeeMak9 said:

If you don't have it on hand yourself, how can you blame others from not having it?

It's possible he is selective about where he puts his hands.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect fingerprint scanning equipment to be hygienic as it is mandatory. It's not just about a single virus either. 

4 hours ago, newnative said:

Umm.  Why is this coming from the Education minister and not that yahoo Health minister? (Still first dibs on him.)   Why should students and teachers who visited these countries isolate themselves and not tourists from these countries?   Totally wacko.  

Why would the education minister make a statement about anyone else other than teachers and students? Its obviously a statement that the ministry have made regarding measures they have suggested to people under their jurisdiction, teachers and students! Whats tourists got to do with him?

26 minutes ago, rhyddid said:

well lets enjoy the CORONA hysteria that as any influenza by spring will be gone.

Are you sure about that? Italy, namely Milan and Rome, currently have daytime temperatures of 15-19 degrees Celsius, which are typical temperatures for Spring in much of Europe. The virus is loving it over there from what I've heard. 

1 minute ago, Tingnongnoi said:

Why would the education minister make a statement about anyone else other than teachers and students? Its obviously a statement that the ministry have made regarding measures they have suggested to people under their jurisdiction, teachers and students! Whats tourists got to do with him?

You're totally missing the point.  Yes, the Education Minister would make statements regarding teachers and students.  However, decisions on quarantines should come from the Health Minister.  It's ludicrous that one department--Education--is saying that if you visit these 6 countries you should quarantine yourself for the safety of your family members and fellow Thais and another department--Health--has raised no objections to visitors from these same 6 countries being allowed to arrive in Thailand and immediately travel freely.  

6 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

America would put them in quarantine...thailand asks pretty please...quite a contrast in management styles 

And the Thai's will do what Thai's always do....ignore all requests for sensibility, so just hope none of them lives near you or me !

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sahibji said:

good anticipatory precaution although it does not guarantee 100% safety due to the yet undetermined incubation period of the corona virus COVID-19. better to start somewhere.

Add, other statements by experts says that serious hand washing doesn't totally remove any present virus. Regular alcohol usage on hands is an absolute must.

23 minutes ago, mushroomdave said:

Well I am in Taiwan now and feel safer here as they have less cases then Thailand.  Add in the better health care /medical professionals here too, and I'm in no hurry to rush back to the Land of Smiles any time soon!!! 

I vacated when it was apparent how seriously Thailand was taking this, by letting in as many Chinese tourists as possible earlier this month. 

6 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Agree 100% about China - they are a rougue nation that has been getting away with too much for too long. 

Probably true. And in hindsight also not a good idea because countries like China would hide any future outbreak.

8 minutes ago, KruZik said:

Ban applies to Malaysia and Vietnam as of tonight. Also: UAE bans citizens from flying to Iran and Thailand. Iran I can understand, but Thailand? https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/UAE-bans-travel-to-Iran-Thailand-due-to-coronavirus-fears-2-sick-in-Oman-618617

???? I think they simply don't trust the figures, like most of the world at this point. I am worried about this though, Thailand has lost more face in the last month than they have across the last decade; something is going to snap 

4 minutes ago, Mung said:

???? I think they simply don't trust the figures, like most of the world at this point. I am worried about this though, Thailand has lost more face in the last month than they have across the last decade; something is going to snap 

Agree the figures are far from credible, but it's odd that they'd single Thailand out. Do they know something we don't? Or - as others have suggested - is a big announcement of cases coming up that can be conveniently blamed on travellers returning to Thailand who did not self-quarantine? Another possibility is that UAE citizens returning from Thailand were found to be infected..

Edited by KruZik

16 hours ago, Bundooman said:

You carry a spray around with you 24/7 then, do you? Even when you are travelling with luggage - you still have an alcohol spray handy - really?

Ridiculous response

And if it is in a bottle more than 100 mls , they will take it off you anyway.  haha 

1 hour ago, KruZik said:

Agree the figures are far from credible, but it's odd that they'd single Thailand out. Do they know something we don't? Or - as others have suggested - is a big announcement of cases coming up that can be conveniently blamed on travellers returning to Thailand who did not self-quarantine? Another possibility is that UAE citizens returning from Thailand were found to be infected..

In Vietnam at the moment, all schools lang centres , universities etc  have been closed for a month, they may go back next week.  However, Veitnam has only reported 16 cases and no deaths, as yet.  And you think Thailand is hiding numbers?  The Viets did close down a whole district of 10,000 people in a province near Hanoi just over a week ago as there were a couple of reported cases there.  But today the last person who has recovered was let out of hospital, so I guess you could say that there are no cases here anymore.  ???????

10 hours ago, KruZik said:

Hardly odd.

http://rocs.hu-berlin.de/corona/

Thailand is expected to be the most at risk country outside China. But you can't report cases if you don't test enough people. Simple.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, daiwill60 said:

In Vietnam at the moment, all schools lang centres , universities etc  have been closed for a month, they may go back next week.  However, Veitnam has only reported 16 cases and no deaths, as yet.  And you think Thailand is hiding numbers?  The Viets did close down a whole district of 10,000 people in a province near Hanoi just over a week ago as there were a couple of reported cases there.  But today the last person who has recovered was let out of hospital, so I guess you could say that there are no cases here anymore.  ???????

If they are not hiding them, then they are clearly not testing many people. About 1,500 tests since the beginning of January. The <deleted> will hit the fan very soon.

Thailand is expected to be the most at risk country outside China. But you can't report cases if you don't test enough people. Simple.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Incorrect. If the said traveler has a last stamp entry say in another country then they are free to go and walk in Australia. It is a loop hole.

I don’t know what they are doing at the actual immigration counter and I suspect a lot of this is expecting people to self regulate, but the quote is as below. Withdrawing hkg etc. 

If you have been in, or transited through, mainland China

·         You need to self-quarantine for 14 days from the date you departed mainland China.

·         If you begin to feel unwell and develop a fever or shortness of breath, a cough or a respiratory illness during your period of self-quarantine you should seek immediate medical attention. Call ahead to your GP or emergency department and mention your travel history before you arrive.

·         If you experience any other symptom during your period of self-quarantine you should also seek immediate medical attention and mention your travel history before you arrive.”

4 hours ago, Sunderland said:

If they are not hiding them, then they are clearly not testing many people. About 1,500 tests since the beginning of January. The <deleted> will hit the fan very soon.

Great piece of work, thanks. But I've never had any doubts about the Thai forthcoming reality as there were still hordes of Chinese tourists flooding in, while the outbreak in Wu Han had been a know fact for weeks.