ONWR hastens drought flighting operations

webfact

ONWR hastens drought flighting operations

a7fb65f5a04e40ff797206edcb7bf230_small.j

BANGKOK (NNT) The drought disaster this year seems to be lasting longer, as the rainy season is expected to arrive late. Given this forecast, the Office of the National Water Resources (ONWR) has stepped up its plans to mitigate the disaster, while keeping an eye on possible seawater intrusion into the Chao Phraya River.

In their latest meeting, the ONWR has acknowledged a forecast from the Meteorological Department expecting the rainy season this year to arrive 1-2 weeks late, in late May, thus requiring enhanced drought mitigation plans to ensure water availability in the community.

The ONWR currently has some 3,000 drought fighting projects for the 2019-2020 dry season, including the construction of groundwater wells, surface water sources allocation, waterworks systems restoration, raw water pipe laying, and pumping station construction.

The office has urged contractors and related agencies who have already received their budget to push forward the operations, as well as prepare water delivery plans before the rainy season arrives. Delivery plans need to be confirmed for 12 lowland areas along Chao Phraya River, and Bang Rakam field used for water retention, in order for villagers to prepare themselves accordingly.

On the issue of seawater intrusion into the Chao Phraya River, the ONWR has been supervising the transfer of freshwater from Mae Khlong River Basin into the Chao Phraya River in order to lock out seawater surges. This method has been proven successful in helping reduce the water discharge from upcountry into Chao Phraya Dam.

Even so, the situation continues to register higher than standard saline levels during some periods, including the next 2-3 days when sea water levels will rise, and then again on 9th-11th March. During these times, water pump capacity will be reduced, and raw water drawn from the Chao Phraya River will be mixed with fresh reserve water, causing the saline level to be well within the standard for acceptable consumption.

nnt.jpg
  • Sad 1

Probably about time to re-commence cloud seeding.....it costs' millions and produces zero benefit in reality....but always good PR.

And of course...let's not forget the amazing fortune tellers....

There are no plans for drought here....just spin!

• Like 2

i have had no water for 3 weeks now,water is coming weakly to the meter but the pressure is so low it cannot make it to my tank,all my neighbours the same have contacted a guy about drilling a bore but no doubt he is busy and seems uninterested. My only option is to get a water truck around once a week there is only me and my girlfriend here,my garden is not looking so good,and if the water trucks bore runs out lord knows what we will do,it is Febuary still,we have had not a drop of rain since start of october,very worrying.

• Like 1

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/146293/drought-hits-thailand

"The drought conditions in Thailand were caused by a shorter-than-normal monsoon season and below-average annual rainfall in 2019. According to the Mekong River Commission (MRC), the monsoon rains arrived almost two weeks later and departed three weeks earlier in the Lower Mekong Basin, which includes Lao PDR (Laos), Thailand, Cambodia, and Vietnam. The MRC also stated an El Niño event created abnormally high temperatures and high evapotranspiration. Thailand was predicted to be affected particularly hard; the country is only two months into the dry season and reservoirs for irrigation and drinking are already low."

• Like 2

For a couple of weeks we've only been receiving water from the PWA 6-8h per day, sometimes missing the whole day. This is south Pattaya. Luckily we do have a large tank, but it won't help soon as the Nong Pla Lai and Nong Kho that serve East Water's pipes are critical: https://www.thaiwater.net/v3/

Brace for shutdown of water in the Pattaya area. The water, what remains of it, will be directed to Map Tha Phut to serve the factories there.

Here's an overview of how it works: http://eastw.listedcompany.com/misc/AR/20160323-eastw-sdr-2015-en.pdf

Thais haven't been building capacity fast enough while the Eastern Seaboard has grown. Now when a drought happens, they start scraping the bottoms of the reservoirs.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

Another wake up call , I now see more and more people with cloth bags , a very good thing indeed and not as hard as some thought ....we now need to adjust our water use. be aware of your needs and make an effort to use less....next .....reusable containers when eating take out food...and someday real vehicle emission tests with real enforcement.... 

Edited by mok199