Daredevil 'Mad Mike' Hughes dies in crash of his homemade rocket in California

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

For a man capable of building his own rocket, it is astonishing that he simply could not believe the thousands of images we have seen of earth, from space. And in terms of reason, why have the millions of ships that have sailed the oceans, not fallen off into the abyss, when they reached the "edge of the world"? And how do the thousands of satellites orbit around a flat earth? How does the water in the ocean contain itself on a flat earth? That would be quite a waterfall at the edge. Where would all that water go? Why am I even asking these questions, is probably the better question. LOL. 

What can one say? How was the rocket supposed to land safely? How many billions does NASA spend on that alone? Perhaps it was simply a way to commit suicide, with as much fanfare as possible. He got his 15 minutes of fame. Post mortem. 

There was a parachute on the rocket. 

Looked like the exhaust from the rocket blew it off at the launch.

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

For a man capable of building his own rocket, it is astonishing that he simply could not believe the thousands of images we have seen of earth, from space.

The flat earth thing was just a way to get money.

"Still, Hughes converted to the flat-Earth belief recently, shortly after his first fundraising campaign for the rocket earned just $310 of its $150,000 goal. His second campaign, this time posted after his conversion and with the support of the flat-Earth community, succeeded in hitting its $7,875 goal."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/22/565926690/i-dont-believe-in-science-says-flat-earther-set-to-launch-himself-in-own-rocket

You can get over 5000' feet in an ordinary light plane.

You can buy a flight in a MIg-29, and get high enough to see the curvature, for less than $20000.

Edited by Enoon
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bluespunk said:

Which knowledge did he advance?

Unless it's that steam powered rockets aren't necessarily a good idea.

Actually a Hydrogen Peroxide rocket, been around for years.

High-test peroxide - Wikipedia

"Many privately funded rocket companies are using hydrogen peroxide, such as Armadillo Aerospace and Blue Origin, and some amateur groups have expressed interest in manufacturing their own peroxide, for their use and for sale in small quantities to others."

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Enoon said:

The flat earth thing was just a way to get money.

"Still, Hughes converted to the flat-Earth belief recently, shortly after his first fundraising campaign for the rocket earned just $310 of its $150,000 goal. His second campaign, this time posted after his conversion and with the support of the flat-Earth community, succeeded in hitting its $7,875 goal."

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/11/22/565926690/i-dont-believe-in-science-says-flat-earther-set-to-launch-himself-in-own-rocket

You can get over 5000' feet in an ordinary light plane.

You can buy a flight in a MIg-29, and get high enough to see the curvature, for less than $20000.

modern airliners (if you believe they truly exist) fly at around 35,000 feet.

a simple gofundme asking for donated frequent flier miles would have sufficed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Look around you mate,look around the world,climate change a scam? Are your eyes and ears painted on?

As someone who has actually studied some geological history of the Earth and actually studied some Paleoclimatology, let assure you that you are lucky to be living in the warm time you are living in. Life has always done best in the warmer times. Civilization has done best in the warmer times. 

Life prefers the warmer regions. 

Just compare mid-Africa, Indonesia, Malaysia. Borneo, Central and South America, Tahiti and Hawaii, versus the Arctic Islands of Canada and the Arctic shores of Alaska and Russia. 

It doesn’t take a PhD to figure out whether life prefers the hot tropics or the colder regions. 

Anyone who doesn’t like the heat is perfectly free to move back to the U.S., Europe, or Canada or wherever they are from.

Still too warm?  Move to the Arctic Islands. 

6 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Look around you mate,look around the world,climate change a scam? Are your eyes and ears painted on?

What is a scam??  It is a dishonest scheme; a fraud.  How do you tell something that is a scam? Look at the claims made.  Scams are made to look too good to be true, or as in this case, too unbelievable to be true,

Quote:  A senior U.N. environmental official says entire nations could be wiped off the face of the Earth by rising sea levels if the global warming trend is not reversed by the year 2000.  That is one of the many false claims made by the 'climate science industry' IPCC in 1989.  See attached.   There are many such cliams made over the decades - but when they prove wrong - they just peddle more 'end of days predictions' and gullible people believe it.  

Ask yourself a question.  Is it really as bad as they have been saying since 1980s?  The answer is obvious - NO.

Now I am not saying we should pump so much stuff into the air - and it is good that reductions are happening (except China) - but is the world going to end? NO!!  Calm down and enjoy the view - this will be sorted out - and there is no need to panic.

1989 U.N. Predicts Disaster from Global Warming.pdf

• Sad 2

I have been somewhat bemused by some reports that said 'he died following a crash-landing'. Seems that some people in the media don't understand the difference between a crash and a landing!

Whatever, it does seem, to me somewhat bizarre that anyone would want to attempt to use a steam powered rocket to try and disprove something that Aristotle had worked out over 2,000 years ago, simply by observing the stars.

There you go. It takes all sorts, as they say.

6 hours ago, Enoon said:

Actually a Hydrogen Peroxide rocket, been around for years.

High-test peroxide - Wikipedia

"Many privately funded rocket companies are using hydrogen peroxide, such as Armadillo Aerospace and Blue Origin, and some amateur groups have expressed interest in manufacturing their own peroxide, for their use and for sale in small quantities to others."

Might be the case but I'd still say the lesson from all this is that just because the idea has been around for a while, it is not necessarily a wise move to get into a "homemade" one

13 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

but how can anyone believe that the world is flat and that man never stood on the moon.

Anyone putting a rocket into orbit surely understands what keeps satellites up. And surely one would expect a 1st world country to have laws that control the operation of maned rocket flights?

And surely this guy was not working alone, those that helped him must be looking for top lawyers to defend them in the pending manslaughter and other looming law suits.

13 hours ago, Moonlover said:

I have been somewhat bemused by some reports that said 'he died following a crash-landing'. Seems that some people in the media don't understand the difference between a crash and a landing!

Whatever, it does seem, to me somewhat bizarre that anyone would want to attempt to use a steam powered rocket to try and disprove something that Aristotle had worked out over 2,000 years ago, simply by observing the stars.

It seems that was not his recent motive quote '...In August 2019, however, Hughes told Space.com that his flat-Earth belief was not his launch motivator. He was simply a daredevil, pushing the envelope of homemade rockets, Hughes said...'

28 minutes ago, TKDfella said:

It seems that was not his recent motive quote '...In August 2019, however, Hughes told Space.com that his flat-Earth belief was not his launch motivator. He was simply a daredevil, pushing the envelope of homemade rockets, Hughes said...'

Interesting, I've just read it. It's not surprising though that the media assumed differently given his statement:

"I'm going to build my own rocket right here and I'm going to see it with my own eyes what shape this world we live on."

Well at least he didn't shy away from his quest despite knowing the risks and one has to admire him for that. I feel the same about folks such as free climbers, free divers, wingsuit flyers etc. They live their dreams and accept the risks. Far better to live your dream than sit in a cozy armchair and allow life to drift by.

And on that note, I do wish folks on this forum would stop banging on at us oldies for riding motorcycles! I love my Earox and off for a ride right now.

Enjoy your day too.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I am going to guess the flat earth thing was a gimmick to get headlines. News flash: professional wrestling is choreographed.

Why do you think so? Many people believe in a flat earth, see e.g.

. The earlier explanation he only 'joined' for the money I do find believable BTW.

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

His rocket piled in like a MOAB. I'd hardly call that a crash landing!

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Catoni said:

Really? So I guess if you accuse someone of being triggered....your accusation proves that you yourself are “triggered”.

Okay....now I understand. 

yes it seems to work best with those entirely bereft of a sense of humour.

Life imitating art?

Going to show my age here. I remember as a small boy listening to a Goon show episode involving a steam powered rocket. It made suitable chuffing noises on it's way into space. The joke that tickled my young fancy went as follows:

Did you see the earth?

Yes.

Did it look round?

Yes, but I don't think it saw us!  

• Haha 1

anybody remember the evel knievel snake canyon jump back in the 70s?  A total publicity stunt from the beginning.  Evel's parachute deployed as soon as the little rocket thing was launched and he floated down to Earth.  This Hughes guy, well,  you could see a bunch of parachutes come off right at the beginning.  So either a malfunction or another stupid publicity and fund raising attempt.