Thailand's tourism minister: Everything will be fine after Songkran - the hot weather will blow the virus away!

webfact

2 hours ago, burgdawg said:

Thai hospitals have done a name change. They do not call it "corona virus," it is called "viral pneumonia" and cases are spiking in Thailand.

Data link within this ado:

I like very much Chris Materson's daily videos... But here, he is making a mistake.

First there wasn't any "change of name".

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

The page, and the daily report in PDF all contain the name "Covid 19 (corona virus disease).

Second : PUI are CUMULATIVE... But most of them are "discharged".

Therefore : when you see 2437 PUI on the report of february 27... It doesnt mean that currently 2437 people are sick. Furthermore, you can put anything into this group.

I agree though that thai authorities are cheating, delaying, lying... Fair game (they stopped the publication of a real indicator : the number of tests done for instance, or "pending lab results" on february 2, and "isolation room" on february 10).

The "pending lab results" was quite dammaging... because it was the proof that there was a HUGE bottleneck.... They just DIDN'T TEST.

Anyway.

Again it's not Thailand only (what the freaking USA are doing is outrageous if you compare !)

Anyway, right now the most useful indicator, on the thai reporting, is "Under ongoing treatment".

If you see this number exploding, then you can duck and cover....

I wrote it already, but good to repeat : everything is BS... only the healthcare system capacities (free or overwhelmed) has a true meaning, is the real "revealer".

Because, yes, 80 % of infected will have just a "cold", will not sick any medical help... But the other 20 % need care... And a subgroup of them need HEAVY care (equipment and staff).

That's the critical part.

Machines, staff and constant care... for (some cases) during a few WEEKS...

Edited by christophe75
  • Thanks 1

Christophe75...great post. The US Government is doing everything within its power to spread this disease. From Trump citing platitudes such as "we have it under control" to the State of Washington enacting a triage approach "...because we do not feel like testing everyone." USA is about to get slapped on the side of its head due to its collective stupidity. USA will give China a lesson or two about how to lie. Better yet: everyone in USA loves suing anyone "...who invaded their Comfort Zone." The cherry on top with USA medical bs is their HIPPAA patient privacy laws, which make sharing of timely patient data impossible.

The only two countries doing the heavy lifting and responsible public health policies are Singapore and South Korea. 

• Confused 2

I agree in that I believe the virus won't be nearly as communicable in 38-40C degree dry heat as polluted, damp, cold China with huge numbers of people already laboring under illness, poor eating, malnutrition and on top of all this, smokers. The potential here is vast and Thailand will take a bit but something tells me it won't be as bad as it could be especially letting all the Chinese in. That was utterly foolish.

• Thanks 1

...no matter where one is at---assess your situation for food, health, transport and medical needs.

One day, the Chinese lockdown will be spreading worldwide. Then black market prices and fees will apply. Act swiftly and decisively.

• Sad 2

• 11 months later...