Thailand's tourism minister: Everything will be fine after Songkran - the hot weather will blow the virus away!

webfact

4 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

This character is a complete and utter charlatan

He needs to be expunged from society

The people running this country (into the ground) are absolutely the dreggs of humanity

Can't imagine there is a more hopeless set of sub humans governing any country in the whole world

Yes there is. Just google Justin Trudeau and see how quickly a g-7

nation is brought to its knees. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

"The virus can't survive long in hot weather".

again the WHO has it wrong,
they say the virus cannot survive more than a minute or so outside a human body.

• Confused 4

I didn't realize, the idiot Trump has joined Hun Sen in Cambodia in talking about hot weather being able to restrain the virus.  As regards this particular CV, that seems to be largely an unknown at this point.

But in this Factcheck.org piece, there's an interesting elaboration of heat and moreso high humidity as being a possible restraining factor on other respiratory viruses and illnesses like the flu....  It's worth reading, especially considering Thailand's typically high humidity levels.

https://www.factcheck.org/2020/02/will-the-new-coronavirus-go-away-in-april/

“It’s possible, but it is wishful thinking, by analogy with flu and other winter respiratory viruses,” Columbia University epidemiologist Stephen Morse told us of an April timeframe. “I’d say wait until April, we’ll know then if it’s true.” In the meantime, he recommended continuing to attempt to control the virus, and not being “lulled by hopeful, but quite possibly wrong analogies.”

There is a scientific basis for some of Trump’s comments, as many respiratory viruses ebb in spring and summer, possibly because the warmer, wetter conditions hamper viral spread. But it’s unknown if that applies to the new coronavirus — and it wouldn’t be that the virus “miraculously goes away.”

Several studies have found that absolute humidity in particular may be especially important in driving some of these effects. Absolute humidity, Harvard epidemiologist Marc Lipsitch explained, is essentially the amount of moisture in the air. “This is always low when it’s cold because cold air can’t hold much water or it will start to rain,” he said in an email.

Nancy Messonnier, the director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said in a Feb. 12 telebriefing, “I would caution overinterpreting” the idea that warmer weather would “weaken” the virus. Noting that the agency has had less than six weeks of experience with the outbreak, she said, “I’m happy to hope that it goes down as the weather warms up, but I think it’s premature to assume that. And we’re certainly not using that to sit back and expect it to go away.”

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tops said:

"The virus can't survive long in hot weather".

This brainless monkey meant: "The virus can't survive long in the Thai smog".

Must be a misunderstanding or a wrong translation...

too early to stay anything about the potency of this virus.

The Tourist Minister is not the Official for making assertions of this kind. He should not be making statements of this nature without evidence. He is giving the impression that potential visitors can book flights to Thailand now, in time for Songkran or just a little later. 

As far as I know this virus is quite new so how does he know it doesn't like the hot weather? In any event, The information about the virus limitations would be more about what temperatures it can or cannot survive under. That is the province of real Medical people.

Given alarm bells are ringing thousands of kms from here (Italy and Middle East)  it would seem prudent to say nothing until a recognised Official from WHO can say something we can believe and have confidence in!

• Like 2

Two ways to look at this.  Before Wuhan virus, Thailand had millions of Chinese visitors, the Yuan was rising and the USD fell to eight-year lows.  Today, China has locked down millions to control their virus, Thailand has far fewer Chinese tourists, and the USD has managed to climb back a bit.  

Has Wuhan virus consumed China’s spending to the point they can no longer pound the USD?  On the flip side, will the virus subside—and millions of Chinese return, and the USD/Baht revisit 29?

• Like 1

Ok, ok.  I know I called first dibs on that yahoo Health Minister for my entry in the dunce of the year contest but I would like to change it to this yahoo.  So many yahoos to choose from in the government!  An embarrassment of riches--with the emphasis on 'embarrassment'.  

• Like 1